[VIPER] Clan

Discussion in 'Clans' started by vipervicki, Jan 30, 2009.

1. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Yeah sometimes it spikes with a lot of vehicles, but it's good mostly.

2. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

Thanks everyone.
    I tried to minimize the vehicle lag by reducing the player slots to 34, so far so good I think. As for the parachutes, some like it this way they say it is realitistic, some don't. If you press e as soon as you start falling you won't incur any fall damage. As for the reserved slots, I believe it kicks the player that entered game last, but I will look into what can be done with that, if anything.

I appreciate all your feedback

3. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I changed a setting in the parachute plugin, to not drop as fast as you reach the ground. I hope this works, but many like it as it was saying it seemed more realistic, but let's see how this goes with the change.

4. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

A huge problem with parachutes, that I know is a player problem but still, is that source calculates fall damage based on air time. There's a few times where I have gently glided off a cliff and dropped the last foot or so only to take in excess of 50 damage due to airtime :(

5. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I just changed a cvar for it so hopefully this will help. If not please let me know.

6. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

but but...MAD has 42 slots.... ?

7. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I wish I could have kept the 40 slots but we experienced vehicle lag when many heavies were built. Do you get any lag on your server with heavies etc?

8. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Cool clan.. Cool people.. I do experience lag every now and then with lots of tanks but its all good. I really love the radio.

9. RKB53

RKB53 Member

g4tc has 48

10. Omneh

Omneh Member

Vicki, almost every server currently running experiences lag when large numbers of vehicles are built, so you shouldn't worry. I was a bit disappointed when VIPER downgraded, since it was working perfectly otherwise.

I have heard of certain issues with plugins such as parachute causing crashes, but you would be better informed if you asked somebody more experienced, such as recon, trickster and theowningone.

It would be nice if you found some way of hiding your reserved slot though, and making the server capacity an odd number so even teams are possible. Its a little irritating to join and be kicked moments later for reserved slot. :(

Also, if you could run some more custom maps (I'm not aware of your server currently running any, but that may have changed) on your server it would be great, as the same official maps over and over get a little dull after a while. :rolleyes:

Otherwise great server, and a good alternative to the other popular server's when they aren't full. :) (naturally, I play on g4tc whenever possible purely due to latency reasons... 5 latency average ftw)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  11. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

but viper is a yankee server, like nachos and ass-kickers....euro servers are really for a diff. plyrbase...
    and yes vicki what omin said is true, we all get lagged out if there are too many missile spamming hvys on the field. I've limited mine to like 10 or 12 vehicles a team and yes that sucks when its 21v21 but its the best most servers can handle....the game is flawed in its missile optimization and until that gets corrected we all suffer from it.

i should get that radio thing, its a nice feature. As for your parachutes causing crashing, did you use the recent offsets posted on here for sourcemod and 2.24 ?

12. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I am going to go up slowly, going to go to 36 slots in a couple of weeks and see how that goes. I am glad you told me that most servers have lag with many vehicles.

I am going to look into the reserve slots today I have several options and might be a better one.

I do have custom maps on my server in the rtv and voting map menu but no one seems to pick those. When I had them on the mapcycle players just seem to complain and rtv them. But I can try again and add them to the map cycle. I agree with you I enjoy custom maps, so let's see how it goes this time.

Thanks so much for your feedback:)

13. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

We aren't not experincing crashes due to the parachute plugin. Since I disabled stats and removed the two new game data files for SM our server hardly crashes, except for last sunday, that was an odd day for VIPER server, but we rebooted the server and so far so good again. I found that those two files caused crashes and buildings and turrets to disappear, was very odd, so I removed them.
    I appreciate your feedback :)

14. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Good server.

15. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

Thank you :)
    I added a few custom maps yesterday and developed some bugs on maps so removed the custom ones and restarted server this morning and I believe all is back to normal now. I will add one custom map at a time to make sure no bugs come back, since I am not sure which map caused it.

16. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

If MAPS are giving the SERVER bugs then there is something VERY wrong with your configuration. It's not like with the plugins that affect how the server runs. Plugins and crap are like extensions for an application, they can crash the host application and/or cause undesired things during the runtime. Maps are nothing like this. They can crash a server or cause lag, but they don't actually affect HOW the server runs.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  17. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

Things were fine until I added a few custom maps. What happened was, after adding them, emp_mvalley's minimap was for a different map. Once it had slaughtered's minimap, then next time it had urbanchaos' minimap, this never happened before the addition of the custom maps. Can you suggest to me what might be wrong with my configurations so that I can fix it?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  18. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

STOP. BEING. SO. POLITE.

ARGHH.

Seriously, when you talk on steam I almost feel like I have to be polite too, which never happens! :mad:

EDIT: Also, I like how we have 2 main servers now. 1 for the EU, one for the NA.

Wanted to let both of the owners know that you're pretty much the pulling force behind the Empires playerbase. We really need some support server-wise in this game. It's a great mod that's going to go by unnoticed if things go downhill.

EDIT2: AND DON'T BE POLITE WHEN YOU REPLY TO THIS :mad:.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  19. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

LOL BJ you are too funny!

I replied but deleted it, thinking you might take it wrong (it was a joke), so I guess you are right I am too polite. :p

20. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

So many wasted Empires servers... Server owners should combine their money and share the servers in favour of higher performance servers. At all times there are 6 servers with between 0 and 5 players.