Vess's Tank style NF Barracks

Discussion in 'Art' started by Vessboy, Jun 24, 2009.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

make the armoury a solid looking truck

like this

[​IMG]

or this

[​IMG]

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I could possibly include a truck or something in the repair pad but the armory is just a thing with ammo boxes in it, so why not just have it be a pile of ammo boxes with a camo net over it and some sandbags round it?

I can't imagine the NF driving trucks around and then building sandbags round them to turn them into fortresses when you can just unload the truck and drive it away.

The large buildings all have important built in components which can't be removed, but a couple of ammo boxes don't require a truck there to use them.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

that makes sense, the repair pad could be a gasoline truck and some supplies on a prefab plateau (to even the floor on rougher terrain and provide solid ground support)

4. zenarion

zenarion Member

Or, a moving barracks is an APC with APD.
    Otherwise, Vess, the concept in the first post is good.

5. spellman23

spellman23 Member

I believe Natural Selection 2 is using a hydraulic feet idea to support their res towers. =]

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I think I have a better idea than just hydraulic feet.

All these large vehicles must have huge power requirements, therefore I figure in order to support their mobile operations the NF must have a way to fuel them.

So why not have the thing deploy drills instead of feet, they basically just dig into the ground and access the geothermal energy or whatever it is the empires planet is supposedly full of. They use this to recharge their power sources when immobile and to run the machinery inside.

This means I can put things on all the buildings which root them to the ground as well as solving the problem of hydraulic feet not neccesarily lining up with the ground properly.

It also gives me a very interesting idea for the refinery, a mobile drilling rig of some sort.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yes plz

that sounds awesome, make it those crude old rusty drills

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

not all ref nodes are placed on terrian you can or should drill a hole into

9. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

will this look ok with the convoy look though?

10. S U N R I S E

S U N R I S E Member

Drop the arms, Lower the chassis.

I love the whole style of it. It strangely reminds me of the Russian MT-LB Light Armored Multi-purpose Vehicle.
    [​IMG]

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Eh?

Ref nodes aren't neccesary, supposedly the whole planet has large underground energy reserves, ref nodes are just concentrations of it as far as I know.

I can't think of anywhere that would be unsuitable in most maps, the only thing you can't drill into is metal, and I don't know of many if any maps which have large metal places you can put raxes on, or for example terrain with space underneath it apart from a few buggy areas in cyclopean.

12. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

He's talking about the top of the tower in the middle of his latest map. Basicly, that's the mappers problem for failing consistancy, the game shouldn't redesign itself because custom mappers don't follow the story line properly.

13. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

tl;dr

A style of driving into the field is out of place. If buildings ever have a way of getting to the field in Empires, it is most likely to be airdrop or built on site (building gets a construction animation that plays frame by frame along with its health bar). Or rise out of the ground. As such, if any style for delivering buildings to the field is done, it should be one of those, because then the player can see the building delivered how it is intended in that style, eventually once it gets implemented.

Edit: Mayama is partially correct. Resource nodes some in 2 varities: natural, and drilled. They don't drill to the core of the earth, they just drill into existing natural shafts to increase accessibility to a single resource outlet. However, that was during Jekotia's prime, when both sides were at full force. I'm not sure if the NF has the time or equipment to do that during their insurrection.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

As your idea of the NF appears to be that they are one very small step away from clubbing the brenodi over the head with rocks I'm probably going to ignore anything you say with regards to style.

Edit: Unless I become suddenly taken with the idea of turning the NF into cavemen who have been mutated by space radiation.

Either I can stick religiously to the rather stupid existing story, or I can bend it and you can have awesome looking things, and I've already decided to bend it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  15. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

As always you prove how thick headed and ignorant you are. Stop pulling bullshit out of your ass and make REAL posts.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I thought you put me on ignore?

If the NF have fewer troops, worse equipment, less territory, no training, and a lack of command structure compared to the brenodi, why don't we just make the mod true to that and have every game be stacked 2 to 1 against the NF, the NF all get really inaccurate guns, their tanks have a one in four chance of breaking down, their refs explode through overuse after gathering 300 res, and they fall over wheezing after running out of their non-rechargable stamina because they haven't been trained.

Either the NF are evenly matched with the brenodi or they are going to be a very boring faction visually and in gameplay terms.

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i believe the northern faction should not be painted as terrorists or peasants who welded metal plating to a tractor

the northern faction is as a private army, maybe not as big as the bertonian army and buys and uses second hand material but they have the advantage to be able to use guerillia tactics, they have no land to defend so they can pick there fights

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

They do control territory in the game as far as I know, so I don't see why they would just sit there looking at it. I imagine they'd use the land and resources to make things, and large tracked vehicles are not very technologically advanced.

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i meant that as the bertonian has to spread out there forces because they are a country, while the northern faction can work more objective orientated

20. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

NF is not some cave men trying to be uppetty. They are just a few years behind, perhaps a decade or 2. Although they have very little territory in comparison, they are fueled by the neutral contenent with fresh equipment, and they can also make a small amount themselves. They're entirely comminted to the war, whereas BE has spread forces to stop other uprisings.

As such, this style fits perfectly. Tracks are ofc not nearly as futuristic as the super prefabs BE uses, yet it works. Mix this with some semi-permanent structures, such as a sandbag post for armouries, the art style would look really good, and improved no end from the current one which seems to be, 'sort of metal what is thin and like concrete maybe with rust mhm.'