Vess's Tank style NF Barracks

Discussion in 'Art' started by Vessboy, Jun 24, 2009.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

this is the most awesome thing in the world

i would sugges making EVERYTHING portable like this, HELL you can make the
    armoury a normal truck containing ammo

refinery some kind of portable drill? i dunno thisones tricky

only problem i see with this amazing and almost unique art style is the vehicle factory

the repair pad could be a vehicle like "supreme commander fatboy superunit" but instead of airial plane pads a repair pad

additionally, i think the vehicle should have some of those hydrawlic feet cranes have
    [​IMG]

they would give a reason to why you cannot drive away with the barracks (because its deployed atm)

also you could give these feet a small animation of deploying while building :p

i LOVE it

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

But the command vehicles have doors on the front, also the vehicle isn't armed and is going to be very dug in, you can't drive it off. It's a spawn point so people can't exactly waltz in, and if you really want to there are such things as ignition keys in empires I assume? Even super complex ones which use genetic coding and things, the NF are supposed to be gene freaks after all.

The pilot seat would have the controls for the vehicle systems in it so when the vehicle is deployed the people in it are going to need to get at it.

The radars have control panels in them which presumably contain all the radar information, the vehicle factories have all their controls on a little panel on them, so I don't see why the rax shouldn't have its controls available. Just say they have super high tech genetic/nanotechnology access codes or something.

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i suppose the cockpit is "presumed" to be closed when it would drive

its not like its an invasion landing craft, its just a base that if needed and if the coast is clear can be moved away to more interesting areas

4. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

The point is that even command vehicles have doors on the front they are closed, and there isn't a player model inside the command vehicle driving it.

If I understood it right, this barracks is mobile so you can move it around. So I assumed that everytime you want to move it around you need actual player model in the cockpit idling there while he's driving the thing. He can't just disappear from open cockpit to dimension X and then come back when he exits the driver's seat.

And while he's driving he can't protect himself or move or do anything, just stand there like idler does and because those open doors at the sides will most likely remain open when the thing is moving, he's very exposed to enemy fire, thus he may die before he can even make the thing move.

Yes, we can say that Vehicle Factories are even more open and expose players to even more vulnerabilities than this design but vehicle factories aren't usually spawned to areas where's a lot of firing happening. Why? Because it's just too big risk to waste that much money to enemy fire.

Barracks however are needed at the frontlines and people have to take that risk that they may waste 200 res for a building which gets destroyed shortly after it gets built.

Soo...

When a certain area is getting swarmed by an enemy and this barracks is undigging and wrapping up ready to move again, I'm assuming that the driver has to be inside this exposed cockpit during the whole process before he can actually move the barracks thus there's a high chance that he gets shot in that open cockpit than he gets to move that chunk out of the enemy wave's way.

So, that's why I would prefer closed cockpit from outside and you could only access the cockpit from inside right behind the control area from the middle of the front wall of the barracks.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

its not ACTUALLY going to drive around, its all just for looks and show

... sadly

6. Sonecha

Sonecha Member

I have to say that I really love this building style. It's truly awesome.

Edit: IF it was going to move around, it should be moved by the COMMANDER if anything.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

lets circlejerk in awe for this building and its magnificence

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

No, you can't move it round, we both explicitly stated that it doesn't move many times...

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

as did i, but people have the tendency to understand things how they want to understand things

this also explains the masses of returned IKEA cabinets

10. Mr. Weedy

Oh...

Well, at first I went like why the heck that thing even have threads in the first place then? But then I remembered that this is a game and there can be some parts which don't make any sense.

True it gives a feeling that these vehicle buildings drive somewhere on the actual battlefield but still it doesn't make much sense when you take into account that Empires buildings just "explode" to their places from nowhere.

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

However as I said to trickster, neither does them appearing out of thin air without treads.

The placement system as far as I am aware is simply a way of choosing a place, how they get there is beyond our capability to demonstrate. I'd love to have these drive into place but that would place limitations on mapping and would require a fuckton of work to get operational for a minor aesthetic improvement.

Having buildings which fictionally drive into position is just as plausible as buildings which fictionally are constructed extremely quickly with the magical engineer fairy dust dispensers.

12. Mr. Weedy

Yeah, but then comes the question, now if we somehow manage to get these vehicle buildings to drive to their places, where they drive from in the first place?

They pop up from thin air a coupld meters away and then drive to their place? Ok. It could be done like that too but... Then comes the question why they would drive there in the first place then if they still popped up from thin air?

I think more plausible way would be that these buildings dropped from the sky. But then comes the problem with closed areas without open sky above.

So... Maybe these buildings could rise from the ground and then drive to place. Sure, again. But... why they just didn't rise from the ground at the actual location where they were meant to be placed?...

I think even it would be nice to see buildings which drive to their places, it still wouldn't make much sense unless they spawned somewhere outside of the map where they can't be seen and then drive all the way to their places.

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I was thinking of the way company of heroes does it, have a place on the map which looks like a connection to the outside, a roadway or gap in the cliffs, have it spawn there, but as I said, that creates mapping and gameplay restrictions because you need to keep the point secure and mappers need to include them.

I suppose you could have a special pad where they're airdropped by large transport craft or a tunnel entrance which looks like it connects to an underground area from which they are spawned, both could be buildable or cappable, or even be a deployed form of the CV which means the CV has the unique function of being able to call in these large transports/connect to the tunnel network, but the main problem is once again the amount of effort it would take to do this.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  14. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

wow, just wow.

love the building, love the idea of making all of NFs buildings being a deployed convoy, except perhaps the armory which the other barracks idea floating around right now would work great for. one suggestion: put some stabilizing feet on it for two reasons; A. so you can jump from them to the roof (the BE rax does not have stairs going to the top why should the NF) and B. so some noob doesnt think it is an actual tank.

also wow to the discussion. you do realize this is just an idea for a building right, not different from the current rax in any way except for shape/size, as in no need to have it built/show up differently or be mobile?

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I was thinking of having a couple of the side panels extend and deploy stabilisers, I could probably put a set of rungs on them or something and make it so you can walk up them like a steep staircase.

16. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

Personly i love it. It screams what NF are all about. Mobilty and hit n run. :D

17. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

Sexy.

Mobile barracks are always sexy :D

18. Mashav

Mashav Member

What is the origin of this vehicle in terms of storyline? Was it made before or after the last war? What was it originally designed to do? Was it a civilian or military vehicle?

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i think it fits the story good as in it was stored in those military stockpiles NF raided, along with some materials to produce more inside the stockpiles

for the building it would make sense to put buildings ether in a de constructed prefab IKEA like way in a storage, or just to park it in a garage and give it wheels as a vehicle ready to roll out into action

first way makes more sense as with efficiency and increased storage capacity but the second one does if the material can be too fragile or complex to construct "in the field", or else you need to bundle it into large enough parts to not be as fragile or complex to reconstruct it can become a b*ch to move the blocks

i think they even do this in real life with trailers at trailerparks, they are given wheels yet they only drive from the workshop to the destination where they are supposed to stand, even some small houses are given wheels in the americas sometimes and i have herd from a house build on a CAT crane base giving it caterpillars and 360 degree turning

so putting it into vehicles actually makes sense NF wise, its easy to roll it out of a parking somewhere at a military stockpile (those the NF found where the original force of tanks comes from), you can even have enough stuff in the stockpile to construct these things there with resources that are no longer needed locally (a map is won, nf gathers the resources and sends it into trucks to the military stockpile to build more convoys)

when a military convoy comes across a tactical location and some mandatory BE forces that come along with that the convoy halts and starts digging in to make a stand for the resources

double threads are an easy way to dig yourself in, just put the forward threads in "move forward" and the backward threads into "move backward"

it will scrape the earth away from the bottom of the vehicle and create a depression, so perhaps it would be cool if you would add piles of sand at the ends of each thread (some piles at the nose of the vehicle at each thread and some piles at the tails) ^^

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I hadn't decided, I just thought it looked cool.

I suppose it was probably a military vehicle, considering it's heavily armored, it could be some sort of military transport or command centre, or possibly a mobile platform for some sort of weapon. The larger ones like the vehicle factory probably had some industrial use, like the base for a large dockside crane or something, they took it down and fitted equipment into the middle section.

The radar was probably exactly what it was designed to do, a mobile radar system used before the war, while the repair pad might not be a vehicle, probably just a cleared out space for working on tanks with some crates and things around it, same goes for the armory, it'd probably be an ammo stockpile or defensive structure of sorts.