Vess's Tank style NF Barracks

Discussion in 'Art' started by Vessboy, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Designed under the direction of Chris

[​IMG]
    update:arms
    [​IMG]
    Stationary of course

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  2. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

I don't get it. The whole idea of treads seems arbitrary and unbased. They can't drive to the field, they can't drive in the field. Why would they put in the work of adding mobile capabilities to a building, then never use it?

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The premise is that they do drive to the field.

The idea is that the whole NF base is a series of large mobile vehicles, or will be once the whole set of designs is complete.

I realise you don't see them moving to the field but you also don't see people moving the construction materials for the current buildings.

I'm assuming that fictionally, all the fighting doesn't occur in entirely enclosed canyons with no obvious advantage.

The NF is supposed to be fighting a superior force, and yet somehow they haven't been beaten, this goes some way to explaining that, they can move their bases so they're harder to eradicate, it also explains how, with a limited manufacturing ability, they can advance into just about any part of the brenodi empire. They look (or can look) like remnants of the jekotian empire, and it's a significant departure from the BE style which is angular. I tried doing a non-angular building and it didn't make any sense, but a vehicle based building can make sense and can easily look different. The NF also have the enormous CV and vast heavy tank, so big vehicles seem to be in their style.

Plus, it looks cool.

I'd suggest that it be more dug in when it's in the field, with stuff round it and the treads sunk into the ground a bit, so it looks more immobile, like the core stuff for that building is contained in the vehicle, the barracks can have big munitions stores, the vehicle factory can house assembly bays and cranes to move tanks for servicing, and then when they're in the field the NF dig them in and bring their machinery online.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  4. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

This screams, I repeat, screams CnC. But then again, the majority of the ideas in this forum do. It looks good, though I do question the whole tank-style barracks idea considering where our buildings come from (I.E. THE SKY)

5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I think it looks dope..

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I don't recall anything from CnC that looks like this apart from maybe the battle fortress.

If anything it looks like that ww1 german tank that was just a box with guns sticking out of it.

7. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

I mean in concept it sounds like the Construction Yard, except for people.

Edit: Then again, the CV... would better resemble that lol

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Well it doesn't exactly deploy into a building.

If anything it's more like a cherry picker crossed with a heavy goods vehicle, it has some particular function which it can only perform when stationary and also carries lots of important stuff for the faction.

9. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

yuris revenge? slave harvester

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

11. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

I liked it. That's my constructive criticism.

12. Omneh

Omneh Member

I fucking love it.

It does need to look more entrenched though, but otherwise, awesome. Really gives NF some style.

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The more people who say they like it the easier it is for me to get vess to do bigger ones for me to model off so I'm not complaining.

14. Mashav

Mashav Member

Front ramps shouldn't lead to the cockpit, but it would be cool if you could go inside it. Exits should be part of the main body.

Open top, back ramp would be very easy to nadespam, especially with an apc. If the back was open underneath the ramp, and the ramp went ontop I think it would work better.

Should have ladders and a little catwalk for those windows up top. Not that you could use them or get up there...

Looks really good though. Concept is interesting(Although I think I've seen it before, just don't remember where). I'm very interested as to what becomes of the rest of the buildings, especially the vf.

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

If we don't put ramps on the front leading into the cockpit it's going to only have one exit.

People need to get in to drive this thing so there's no reason why when it's dug in those same exits can't be used to get in and out, and also it's a perfect solution to being able to shoot into the rax.

The back I agree with, didn't think of that when we were talking about it. It'll need fixing. You could probably have the back hatch open upwards forming a small roof section, then prop it open with a couple of girders, then cover the back side with a metal plate with a ladder on it or something, as long as it isn't too steep I can probably make it climbable like a staircase.

The asymmetry should also fix the complaints about raxes being hard to orient.

For the VF I was thinking one of these: http://en.wikivisual.com/images/6/6d/Crawler-Transporter.jpg

With a hangar bay in the middle for the vehicles.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  16. Mashav

Mashav Member

I meant 2 on either side of the cockpit, rather then leading straight in.

Code:

(_)=Tred

[U]/  \[/U]=Ramp

[-- --]=Cockpit

|
        |___
           _|
          |_|
            |_____________

Sort of like that

17. Drag

Drag Member

Hell why not, if we seriously shoot down every decent rax concept that comes up here we will never EVER have a full supplement of designs + building models together.

This is a free mod with currently free contributions made what do you expect. People will never stop complaining about the looks, balance, gameplay, players, forums, god and the rest how about we go for the most functional and fast to do designs :p

Hell if we go for this kind of model we could make one on tracks for when its unbuilt and change the model when its fully built to something that is anchored to the ground.

My requirements for buildings: Buildings of one faction need to fit together. Buildings ABSOLUTELY need roof access, no way around it. Properly made so they don't, crash, lag, fpslag people. People must be able to spawn/navigate/get ammo properly, the more space the better while not making the building take too much space overall :p

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

That's going to mean you can shoot into the rax though.

Having doors on the side of the cockpit is how everything I know of works, it's not as if it's a security risk because for one thing it's an enormous vehicle, you can't exactly steal it and go joyriding, and second off the cockpit is big enough to handle it.

I don't see what difference it makes aside from having them go into the pilot seat solves another problem while having them go into the body of the vehicle doesn't.

19. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Edit: Sigh wrong section

20. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

You can shoot into current raxes too. And that is also fixed with simple walls in right places.

I can agree with others that the cockpit has to be sealed. It is just pure madness to have a vehicle designed to operate on war zone and then have it's center of control being exposed that drastically to an enemy.

It's like adding huge glass windows in front of tanks to improve the driver's view over the field.

I also really would like to get rid of that open hatch like exit at the back. Why? Because then you can easily shoot artillery or even mortar inside that barracks or even call artillery strikes inside the barracks right into the spawn area if you just are at enough high ground. I would replace it with some sort of door too. Maybe even with a door which doesn't have ramp up to it so people would have to drop down and they couldn't get back in through it. This way enemies would have a bit harder time assaulting the barracks.

(Also it's quite boxy. Could you, Vess, add some more detail in it? ^^)