Unmutable players

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by soundspawn, Feb 21, 2010.

1. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

Commanders should not be mutable. If they are by chance spamming to the point you really want to ignore them, your team should be able to vote kick them which would remove said immunity.

This is both for forcing players to at least hear the commander (even if they still refuse to actually listen) and helps for the unintentional "oops, I somehow muted you while looking at the scoreboard" confusion that takes place from time to time.

Also, HSM needs this ability hard coded by SteamID.

2. recon

recon SM Support Dev

If you prevent me from muting HSM, I'll just sit in base laughing instead of playing, and so will most of the other vets.

Sometimes there are retarded commanders, and you have no interest in listening to them (people like apwall).

I don't think this is a good idea.

3. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

lol @ HSM distracting vets

I don't get the logic with your apwall example though... you want apwall to comm but you don't want to hear him? How can he possibly do even a decent job if you won't allow him the ability to talk to you? Saying "You comm, but don't talk" is not a good idea. In the case of apwall I'd say don't vote him in at all.

4. recon

recon SM Support Dev

He and Hamster get voted in regularly, probably because they are the only options at vote time.

When I play on their team, depending on their behavior, I may not want or need to listen to a word they have to say.

I have accidentally left a commander muted for half a round because they were talking in spec or something on the previous map. I think a possible alternative could be unmuting the commander when the round starts.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  5. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

Still

Votekick>Comm Mute

6. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Soundspawwn honestly It's not your job to decide who can be muted and who not, It's not an empires feature which can used by everyone, it's an admin feature which is only used if neccesary ... -_-'
    If you do it I'm sure there would be pretty fast scripts out to undergo this restriction anyway ... that means unneccesary work for you and server owners ... better concentrate on the important stuff ...

7. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

I think you might have misunderstood what spawwn is talking about, he is probably talking about the client side muting that you do through the scoreboard and not the sm_admin mute command.

8. OuNin

OuNin Member

nonfascist compromise: all players are unclientmuted when a new map has loaded

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

In the unlikely event that I have a commander who merits being listened to I can unmute them myself.

If I can't mute commanders I'll just turn voice chat off.

10. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Nightmare scenario: Joining a server with a microphone-music spammer as the commander and a team that is just 1 person short of the votes needed to comm remove. :eek:
    I can't think of a better argument than that, so: /agree.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Eeeh...well I know for a fact that some people who don't speak English so well do *not* get helped at all by having a rager shout into a mic at the team.

12. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Do you know how hard it is to organize a votekick?
    unclientmuting everyone on load new map is probably the best option

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Even if you do speak it well people complaining at you is merely a distraction.

14. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Yeah, bad idea.. Even tho we like HSM screaming at us, most people don't. Remember that review some people did about the mod that ended up just being them talking about how ridiculous he is for 10 mins? I don't think they said a single thing about the mod they where just cracking up and playing clips of HSM.

My main beef is with people like apwall and his broken mic or fn198/hamster playing music and talking creepy. They are good commanders so I don't want them kicked and even if we did no one would take over and it would ruin the game.. I need to be able to hear my squad. The commander can communicate well enough with move and attack orders or even copy and pasting something like SPAM HEAVYS!

15. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

The basic idea here is good. The problem is that we have so few Empires servers right now. This means that, yeah, sometimes I will want to play and have no options aside from a game with a really annoying comm (without the votes to votekick them.) So in that case, I'd like to be able to mute them and just keep playing as well as I can.

Not that I can actually recall ever muting a comm myself. But I can see the logic... if Empires had a larger community, this suggestion would make more sense. In a small community, though, sometimes your options are "a comm you don't want to listen to" and "not playing at all."

16. Empty

Empty Member

Worst idea ever.

17. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

18. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

When a muted commander speaks, show that they're talking in the corner of the screen with a special icon indicating that they are talking but muted.

19. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

If possible, show a volume graph, with 'OVER 9000' completely maxxed out when Headshot rages

20. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I really like that idea. How about doing it for all players?

It should be named "Rage Graph", with the y max being labeled HSM.