Unmutable players

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by soundspawn, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Pfft. Losing is unacceptable. Always. There is no such thing as "holding out", there's just not trying hard enough to push back.

The only time losing is acceptable is when your cunt of a commander (i.e. me) gets stuck boomtanking. It's just funny then.

2. recon

recon SM Support Dev

/agree

Unmuting the commander is not a good idea (see Trickster's post). The mod should just show a different icon when someone talks who is muted.

3. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

i really can't believe this suggestion at all. i mean seriously? you can't take this away from players. there are some retarded comms out there like apwall and most of the europeans that i just can't stand to play with unless they are muted.

i can still be a contributing team member by muting my comm and playing deathmatch. if i couldn't mute them, i would just sit in spec and complain like i always do. i know i'm not the only one like this, but i think it's especially bad for me because i am just driven insane by people who talk about retarded shit during games (spec is different).

4. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

Honestly... this was more for lulz than anything, but there are games where this would come in handy. From this joke of a suggestion came a rather valid one, unmuting players at the beginning of each game to avoid inadvertent mutes.

5. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

6. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

If that's the worst of it, then you have no case. A little Journey and a few clips during gameplay involving zero teamwork...

The other totally valid suggestion that came from this is a light in the corner, we can call it the ComCom, that blinks when your commander is using voicecom but you have him muted.

There really is an issue here, although the original suggestion was a rather extreme way of dealing with it. I have muted players who are micspamming spec, then a game or two later they are the commander and it's halfway in to the game (if at all) that I realize this. A light (for example) could indicate micspam (always blinking) from talking, or at least remind you that you can't hear the commander.

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yeah, i'm down with a reminder tbh. Anyone who mutes me...well, it's their game experience, and hopefully they can get along without the rest of their team or jerk off somewhere...whatever. But I have known awful comm's who micspam because they don't have a connected mic, and are very useful in just text.

And more comms who just scream at you, but then I guess I just turn the volume down a bit and turn up my music. But forcing the enduser to make their own solution is not the way to handle development...which you already know inside and out, i'm sure.

8. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

that's not an issue.

I don't want to listen to anyone who mic spams. Period. I'm not talking about playing music clips, I'm talking about full blown mic spamming just plain shit.

Light in the corner is acceptable, but in no way should anyone ever be "unmutable"

9. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Oh my god I'm laughing so hard right now.

Talking creepy haaaaaaaahahaaah lmaooo

10. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

he just cast lvl 80 necropost!

11. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Wow, I had never noticed this suggestion before. This is a terrible idea, and honestly I do not think I can take it seriously. Even so, if it were ever implemented, it would have to include a cvar for toggling it on/off in order for server managers to deem it acceptable, and in that case I don't know a single one who would turn it on. I sure wouldn't, and there would be a lot more sm_mutes issued across the board I imagine.

If a commander is muted, it could very well be for good reason (most of the time it is). If I have a good and non-annoying commander, I have no reason to mute the commander in the first place. I just foresee too many abuses of this.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I'd micspam every game to shit and cry with joy at everyone raging their tits off.

13. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

terrible suggestion i would just turn sound off

14. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I'd just perma ban the commander.

15. Comand'zorz' Asz

Comand'zorz' Asz Member

How modable is voice chat? I mean comm doesn't speak in a different colour or anything which I think you'd have done if you could easily.

What about an alternate keybind for commander for priority messages, makes the GUI freak out at the player when used, to get their attention. Cept people would just use it all the time...;)

16. Empty

Empty Member

I'm thinking about moving this to rejected simply because it's an awful idea.

Anyone in support of that?

17. vlamnire

vlamnire Member

Why would you want the commander to be unmutable? If he's annoying then....

F S SPACE
    F S SPACE
    F S SPACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

/support

19. Empty

Empty Member

I'm going to move it to the normal suggestions forum.

20. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

thats not the CV thats the DJ MICSPAM PARTYHOUR MEGABUS