This is your last warning

Discussion in 'General' started by Empty, May 30, 2010.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

u still a pussy lol

when i tell you to read a post a page back you get all whiny and feel butthurt as hell and here you call people "dipshit" and "moron" ...

way to make friends ^^

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  2. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

They don't support your meanings of the word over other meanings of the word. They describe the word's different applications to various subjects and its underlying meaning - what's worse than an inadequately-sourced article is someone who engages in selective reading, whether the article is sourced or not. We never contended that latency can't have the meaning you defended, only that it isn't limited to the narrow-minded interpretation you spewed. That, is why I called you a moron - because you acted like one. However, I surely believe you are intelligent enough to realize this, and abandon your narrow understanding of language. Whether you will is another story, and it was hasty of me to refer to all 3 of those articles as well-sourced - but, there are other sources that verify our use of the word in this thread. Empty is intelligent enough to know what anyone on this forum means when they use "lag" in the various contexts.

Also, I should note that not every player who has experienced performance loss has a low end system.

3. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Empty's particles make me crash because my network card cant produce enough frames per second.
    I think the problem is that the railroad stations that supply it are getting clogged up by passenger trains, and my freight trains have to stand by because of inefficient semaphores.

4. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

So pretty much your flipped shit and posted in 60 point font about a slang term with an ambiguous meaning. The purpose of language is to convey meaning and if someone says "empty's particles lag me" it is incredibly clear what they mean.

5. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

Hullo Casket.
    You have done a great deal to this community by attempting to correct all of the ignorance that manifests itself here.
    Many people such as myself thought that "lag" refers only to network lag.
    Obviously, I would never even THINK of "lag" to refer to frame-rate loss.
    Thank you very much for correcting everyone else so that I could understand the inaccurate terms that they were using.
    Now, very kindly, Q.Q. and fall into a boat propeller to be grinded up into 50 little pieces, afterwhich your remains shall be eaten by giant squids and the like:headshot: .

6. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

empty paid casket to make this thread not about him anymore

7. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

I wasn't going to get involved with this "everyone versus casket" thing, but you just called John Shandy` a moron so now I am.

Get the fuck out.

8. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Look OP

empires before Particles: A lot of people run it fine
    empires after Particles: A lot of complaints.

I run an i5 750 with a 5770 and I get choke when I look at your particles on a 6 year old engine.

It is a problem.

9. Empty

Empty Member

It's the OB engine idiot.

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Empty, what's the most intensive part of your particles? I've heard pickled say before that the dirt? clouds they send up are fairly peripheral...? I thought you already changed a few particles for 2.25b, is it mainly that we actually have proper effects now, or can they be modified to be just a teensy bit more tapered/have less extra effects? I mean, artillery...awesome dust cloud, but are there some that don't need so much?

It's just a question.

11. flasche

i miss 2.25 particels, they've been so superepic ... :sad:

12. MajorTom

MajorTom Member

Particles are accessed locally on your PC right? Because it almost seems as if the server itself lags out when a lot of particles are used at a time.

13. flasche

yes particles are clientside ...

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Artillery is fairly complex but the particles don't hang around very long, so the main performance issue, overdraw, isn't particularly problematic. If artillery lagged you then you would experience a drop when the effect appeared which would clear up when it stopped. Particles lag more the closer you are because they take up more screen space and therefore there's more overdraw.

The main lagger would be nukes because they have a long duration which means lots of them can go off at once, resulting in consistent low performance, they are also probably the most complex particle available from what I've seen.

15. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Yeah empires changed to OB engine just in 2.25

durp durp.

16. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

I would certainly agree. In fact, when Empires first went to the OrangeBox version of Source from 2.12 -> 2.2, I distinctly remember a substantial performance loss for an unsubstantial visual improvement. There are many things that seem to me to be grossly inefficient in Source, and as far as particles go smoke is perhaps the most frustrating - it performs horribly and doesn't look very good - as opposed to the smoke in higher tier engines like CryEngine, UDK/UE3, etc.

However, if indeed the fault of OB, most people are only asking that you compensate for it (or at least attempt to do so).

What Hamster said is abundantly clear. I found that I can circumvent the performance loss by just forcing Empires to run in DirectX 8 and I can stare at multiple nukes and artillery going off with little to no loss at all. However, it'd be nice to not need to do that. Not everyone is in the position to upgrade old builds or build new systems. I'm funding my MBA entirely independently, so buying new computer hardware is out of the question for another year at the earliest - I actually don't have too much of a problem even without forcing DX8, but I only mention my situation because I am sure that many are in the same frugal boats right now. Dubee is correct. This engine and its mods are starting to become dated, and they're free, so mods like Empires will attract the kinds of playerbases that he described. Unfortunately, that's a major group (if not the largest group) we have to target to bring more fresh blood into the community.

So yes, I'd say the OB is in many ways responsible, but since we're stuck with it, we may as well compensate.

Removing the smoke alone proved to be a major performance improvement for the pack of your particles that pickled modified and released. I know you don't much care for him, but if it works... screw smoke. Smoke has never looked good in Source. It never looked great in HL2, CS:S, and DOD:S, and it will continue not looking great in L4D(2), TF2, and Empires, and that's that - it's not your fault, but you can help people alleviate it.

Be a hero.

[​IMG]

17. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Hamster runs a Core i5 with an HD5770 with loss?

I run HD4850/Phenom II x4-920 @ 2xaa/8xAF (all high/vhigh) and I only get lag with multiple artillery, smokes, or nukes. Multiple being 4+ same spot. Lag being 20FPS or so.

18. flasche

uhoh he said lag when he meant low fps ... BURN HIM, BURN HIM WITH FYAH!!!

19. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

/thread

20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Ah, cheers :) Artillery don't generally lag me, so I guess I know why now.

See...I would expect this, it's just the random amount of load the computer sometimes has, even when there aren't explosions on screen like that. I understand there would be a performance hit, and for me orangebox did alleviate some problems (like trees/vegetation) which used to cripple fps, which is understandable to be replaced with actual graphical enhancements...but...it seems pretty random, when the server gets big battles on it, even when they're not in view, it seems to effect the general (client) performance more than before.

Is there an explanation for that? - Just for future reference.