This is your last warning

Discussion in 'General' started by Empty, May 30, 2010.

1. Empty

Empty Member

I'm kinda tired of the complete lack of criticism other than "omg i has low fps all teh tiem"

1) Low FPS all the time may not be due to particles.
    2) You haven't made it clear whether any particles in particular cause lag (other than nuke which got a fucking redo)
    3) If you can't run the game on any lower settings than you're currently on, perhaps your machine IS NOT CAPABLE OF RUNNING EMPIRES IN THE FIRST PLACE. Save up 20 bucks and buy a better fucking graphics card, if your comp is so fucking terrible surely it's not that expensive to buy some kind of upgrade.

It's gotten beyond a joke, if you have a fucking problem make it clear. Keep whining and I will do jack shit. AFAIK nobody has lowered their settings to adjust for the effects, nobody has given me any proper issue reports and absolutely nobody has even tried for a second to be helpful.

I'm don't give my time to this mod because I get paid, and neither do the rest of the devs. It's about time you assholes wizened up to the fact that we have no obligation to work here and if you're going to treat us all like shit then we can pack up and go.

So this is it, this is my last post on the matter, take heed of what I say here because it's the last time I'm going to say it. If you want things changed and fixed then you're all doing it completely fucking wrong. Grow up and smarten up before I give up.

2. Omneh

Omneh Member

I'm going to turn this into an Empty the Particle Artist appreciation thread.

I think Empty's particles are great, they make the game look a lot more polished and I get more FPS (with a few exceptions, but there is little difference) with them than I did with the old particles.

I hope he doesn't let a vocal minority put him off improving the mod for a quietly thankful majority.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I hate you empty, you ruin my empires. I get -9000 FPS on every map because every map is made purely of particles, the entire game is coded using particle effects, and that's all your fault. Even my tanks are made of particles. I blame you for everything.

User was banned for this post

Blizzerd

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2010
  4. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Obviously this is directed at me. And since you can't take a joke which is what I have been doing lately or constructive criticism which I gave you many times in other threads about the issue. I think it's the smoke, I have a gig now and a graphics card that can run dx9 and a 3.20ghz processor I shouldn't have worse fps with settings low as they go compared to when I had them on high with only a half a gig of ram. If you honestly don't know whats causing it then you haven't read anything me or pickled have said. Smoke appearing after explosions like from a mowtar is completely unnecessary, doesn't really even look at that great and on top of that makes people complain that when we get rid of it for better FPS' that we are cheating and gaining and upper hand. This game people play because it's fun, not because of the graphics. I'm not saying its bad to work on making it look good but IMO you have over done some things.

Just cause you have a new comp doesn't mean that everyone does. Specially if they are fucking around with source mods. Free games on an undemanding engine is going to attract broke people with crappy computers..

Another issue I have with this is, way before your time when emp first came out on source it was said to be a great game but the only issue was its horrible lag and basically slide show gaming. It was a huge opening fallowed by loss of interest because the lag. Now those same people come back and see that its still choppy they are gonna think well I guess you can't play a game at this scale with out lag. Which is far from the truth.

I don't know a lot about particles, but I am pretty sure its the excessive use of lingering smoke you added to explosions and the arty impacts look good only on certain terrains which is another thing that is really unnecessarily taking up frames. But talk to pickled if you really want to know things I can't explain, cause his pack has given me no problems and runs like the older versions did.. I like what you are doing and have nothing but respect for you but I think you just over did it which will be a great trait for you in your future jobs or things in life.. I do like to tease you(heck I'm not alone look at the post above mine) but if you really want me to stop then I will.

Also on a side note, I dunno if you updated glycencity but that map lags like SHIT, everyone in the server said the same thing and someone said it was the falling snow.. Another unnecessary add for looks which is funny cause it even falls thru the roofs while in the buildings.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Dubee, you're in like the bottom 1% of computer spec.

6. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Test the sapping smoke stacks (violett one), it somehow gave me an FPS drop.
    Maybe there's some coding support neccesary, sometimes the stacks (all) don't disappear and if the same building gets sabbed again it might add just a new stack to the old one? Will test later ...

Else I never got any FPS drop from empires particles, and I like the new particles, I even prefered the vast nuke particles from 2.25 (not the one in 2.25b) because it looked like a nuke.

7. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

My comp is really not that bad. I mean I can run bf2 and every half life 2/source game no problem, yet empires has to cause issues once this version comes out. I don't care If I have the worst comp out or whatever. Really bottem 1% of what? The worlds comp specs? I've heard all I really need is a better graphics card, but I don't care about how the game looks. I play it because its fun no matter wtf it looks like.

I can play the game no problem because of pickled's pack. I'm not complaining about it anymore I'm just fucking making jokes like you did above my first post.

8. Deiform

Deiform Member

Yeah lets not make jokes about the developers any more! Their feelings get hurt too y'know...

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Ok firstly, I love the effects, I also have a 5 year old computer that was top of the line at that point, but ofc isn't now.

It's a 3.0ghz HT pentium 4, 1.5gb ram, a relatively new gfx card of 512mb x1950 Radeon Pro, an audigy 4 soundcard and that's pretty much it. Not great these days, but actually pretty decent...I get to still run stuff like mirror's edge, deadspace, mass effect, fallout etc on high models/textures etc and a high res (1680x1050) while never using anti aliasing, because it just can't handle it.

Eh? What are you talking about. I turned every setting down to low and didn't get 1fps out of it. Traditionally I play on 1680x1050, 2-8x AF, high models, textures, shadows, shader, motion blur, simple water and no hdr (I guess I should with empires now glycen has been changed :) ). I turned all the settings down to low and reduced resolution to 1280x800 (or whatever the 16:10 res is).

Now I can still play the game, whether those settings are on high or low, I still get 9fps minimum in most intensive games and 12-28ish fps regularly, more if there aren't that many people playing.

So far your response has been go fuck yourself get a new machine, which I can actually understand and is the reason I haven't been complaining. But don't ignore me and people like me just so you can say no one's been helpful. What do you want us to do? I figured if the answer was they're not going to be changed then I could just live with it. And I don't particularly want to install pickled's pack because I'd rather I was using official stuff...and in the meantime I do get to see some nice effects too, albeit at a slow pace.

You know this community, you were one of the trolls of this community before you became a dev, remember this:

http://forums.empiresmod.com/showpost.php?p=177847&postcount=56

You're one of the most extreme examples and you got BANNED for that post advocating BURNING DOWN BEERDUDE'S house.

I don't see how you can be this hypocritical when this issue is still kicking around in joke format. I don't see anyone here threatening you physical harm, I see you raging at people and being pretty cutting and abusive actually.

Yes, you did some work for this mod. Yes your effects are good. Yes there are problems. So no, not everyone is complaining, some people are not, in deference to the amount of time and work you've put into the mod. But you are not being a white knight fighting your corner, you're raging at everyone and waving around a bully stick, when you're suffering less abuse than you hurled at the devs yourself.

10. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Well, like I said if hes really upset about it then I will stop, but I am just teasing him and have no intent on upsetting him. I know he's telling me to grow up but really to threaten to "give up" because I am teasing you sounds more immature to me.

This is the empires community after all.

11. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Do it faget.

12. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Your processor is the bottleneck. Raise the FSB speed by 33 (BIOS) and see if you get an FPS boost.

@Everything else you said; well said.

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

If you want civility don't release anything to the public, because if you do then everyone will hate it.

Either ignore everyone, or learn to love hatred, because you won't change everyone by complaining about it.

14. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Is it only me... or is Empty successfully trolled?

15. Empty

Empty Member

@Chris
    If you would still give me criticism or even reply I wouldn't have to rely on morons for proper criticism.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I don't like how your particles look, it's a stylistic dislike. I can't comment on FPS other than that the nuke particles are rather overcomplex for something that tends to be spammed.

I don't really see why you need to rely on anyone for criticism, make them as efficient as possible and as good looking as possible, with the best possible compromise between the two, efficiency is measurable as a number, and good looking is an entirely personal choice, neither one needs other people.

If you make changes to something and say to people 'I made these changes' and then after the changes problems occur, then people are going to correlate your changes with the problems, as you claimed responsibility for the changes, you claim responsibility for the problems. The problems are your fault.

That's obvious, it may not be right, but it is obvious, and highly predictable. The solution is to be less vocal about what you have done, although that can look like you're hiding your ineptitude, or simply don't do anything, and distance yourself entirely from the thing you are changing, which won't help your being held responsible for things that have already gone wrong, but it will help with you being blamed for the next set of problems.

Alternatively you can just accept that everyone will hate you. Angry people make noise, happy people don't.

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i generally select what criticism i want to hear

im open to flaws in my designs, but if people say over and over "your design sucks balls because it does not have function X that i really like"

then i will start ignoring the critique, i think this is what triggered the conflict between pickled and me, he said his critique once and i gave my counter arguments and improved on the points he was to me making sense in, after that i kept ignoring pickled whenever he rambled basically the same thing to me as at first over and over and over and over and the more i tried ignoring the problems he had with my scriptset that he told me about a dozen times over (to the point that i started ignoring his entire posts) he became more determined into making me succumb to his view's and beliefs

a chain reaction later... you all know what happened

anyway, what im trying to say here is that you dont have to listen to every critique, select what you think helps you and ignore all the rest (it might end you up with someone that makes it his mission to prevent you from releasing anything any more, but in the end good luck trying to do that on the internet)

18. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I'm suprised to say that i agree with chris

also quoted for truth

19. communism

communism poof

qq

well since your fgt ass aint on steam, show me one dev that was ever been appreciated for the work that they have done (other than lead devs (that get hella gurls)of course)

You flamed devs when you wernt one and its the same situation now, everyone bitches about everything and some people do aprreciate your work...just happens their not the loud ones making threads about it

20. communism

communism poof

and lol this deserved a double post