The iPhone 5!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by McGyver, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I've been on a contract for a long time, had about 3 phones on it. From now on, I'm just going to buy them outright. It's so dumb being locked to one network. When I buy my next phone, I'm buying the phone itself, in cash.

Also, it did occur to me that, with the Lumia 920 being less common (once it's released) than your average apple/samsung phone, it can even be a conversation piece.

2. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

The Lumia is classy as fuck.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

careful with carrier subsidies, you might end up with paying a lot more.
    f.e. drei (carrier) sells the s3 for 0€ but 40€ per month (= absurd amounts of free minutes (3000), 1000sms and 6gb data incl). thats 960€ in total over 2 years. the phone costs about 450€, the cheapest contracts (1000min/1000sms/1000mb) costs 7.5€ thats 180€ in 24 month, thats "only" 630€ in the end (plus the annual fees and one time costs if there are any but they are the same for whatever contract). a difference of 165€ per year ...

ofc its all dependend on how much of the included data you need - ive never reached 1gb/m though my tarif includes 2gb.

thats in austria ofc, dunno how its in your respective countries, but i doubt its much different ;)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Less than 200€ more per year for 5GB more data and effectively unlimited voice? And don't forget the time value of money improvements! If you invest that 450€ instead of paying for the phone, the 165€ gap looks more like 150€.

In Austria, you chaps are getting ~2% for a two year 4.3% coupon (assumed semiannual?) government-issued bond. So 450€ gets you 17.17€ every six months (4 times) and 399.33€ at the end. That's nothing mind blowing, just your money making money while you do nothing. Time value of money, bitches.

5. flasche

and if id invest the 330€ saved* over 2 years? the 165€ are per year.

*actually unspent

6. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I highly doubt that Austria gives out bonds that double your money after 2 years.:rolleyes:

7. complete_

complete_ lamer

i'd love phone plans to be that cheap in canada

8. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Woaaahh Hold on

:eek: Woaah guys - did we just get 17 pages of sex, economics, intellectual property, pooping, philosophy, Ponies/Anime out of an iPhone... And most of it was on topic?

9. flasche

yes we can!

10. McGyver

And now the thread has a happy end: I just got myself a Galaxy Nexus of ebay. ^^ Once i started realizing that i wanted the most bang for my buck, the Nexus was the obvious choice.

11. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Good! Now you can flash CyanogenMod on it, use the most awesome app of all time, AirDroid AND you don't support Apple!

12. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

This is about the best end of any thread on these forums ever, and at that one of the most usefull ones.
    All you need now are pictures of Mootant in MLP cosplay as backgroud image and nude pictures of Krenzo above text pieces of Mr.Dee's rants and all the chicks will comes flying at you like robocops feces to a big junkyard magnet. :cool:

13. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

personally I'm down with my HTC Desire Touch Z
    [​IMG]

Keyboard is essential for e mailing & for playing emulators, Track/thumbpad is essential for single handed browsing and navigation whilst drinking pints, the touch screen is good enough for everything else & the screen is OK. I'm pretty mch sold on its 3 inputs, its always really easy to use & having lived with a galaxy and an iphone for a couple of months whilst I bothered to file the insurance after I got my first one wet I can honestly say I don't know how anyone can type on a touch screen. It is absolutely just horrible to write anything more than a few sentances. Also the ActiveSync client was suprising good, all 3 implementations of autodiscover worked perfectly.

14. flasche

writing this on a touchscreen i can tell you its just a matter oft getting used to it ...

15. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I chuckled.

16. McGyver

The main reason why i went for a Nexus is that i have enough of flashing Custom Roms that crash the phone in the most inconvenient times. Now i will enjoy pure vanilla android, as god google wanted.

AirDroid seems nice though.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  17. flasche

haha touché - thats what you get from not switching languages on touchwiz. its less of a problem with sense where you can use two dictionaries at the same time - my current workaround for this is "learning" the german dictionary english, i hope its not too limited in size

18. ImSpartacus

You don't put it in the bank, you pay for the bond and 'lose' the 450 euros.

I think you mean you're teaching the german dictionary english. That or someone other than the german dictionary needs be 'learned' english...

19. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

[​IMG]

Only phone I've ever had, only phone I'll ever want. If it didn't overheat so damn much, that is.

20. ImSpartacus

Try 2012's version:
    [​IMG]