The Grenadier shouldn't have an RPG AND a Mortar

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by teh_ham, Sep 27, 2008.

1. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I think i dont need to comment that

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

So how precisely do you expect to kill everyone with a mortar that is no longer able to kill as quickly?

3. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

??? You said, not to decrease the damage.
    Than you said that I cant read and you said decrease the damage
    Than I showed you how fast you forget stuff to get it your way.

AND NOW YOU FUCKING POST LIKE YOU NEVER SAID WHAT YOU SAID WTF!!!

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

No I didn't.

Do you actually know what the word 'hence' means?

It means 'therefore' or in this case 'that's why'.

So I said 'That's why you decrease the damage' as in 'decreasing the damage will solve that problem'.

Don't blame me for your illiteracy.

5. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Sorry for the insult :3

but if the damage is reduced (I guess its enough to kill someone with 2 shots)
    and splash is increased and the victim gets even a bit kickback.
    (Its half accross the map, a little is enough) Than you can easily rape their base.
    If you increase the splash radius about 50% it will be really easy to hit people.
    Til your ammo is out.

Ive played enough games with another grenadier in which we both were the
    only grens out of a 20 man team and the enemy protested we have so many
    grens and shells spam the whole time.
    What I want to say with that is that you can really bombard the enemy with
    the mortar as it is, and 2 grens are enough for that.

6. teh_ham

teh_ham Member

You're probably using the tactic I described a few pages back: strafing out of a corner, start crouching before you're in the open, once you see your target, fire. Then run back behind the corner. All in about a second?

This is why I proposed a change in the mortar. Because it isn't a mortar.

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I was more thinking five shots to kill someone unless you land it on their head in which case I'd suggest almost kill an infantryman, and do about half the current damage against structures.

As in the splash does not very much damage, but direct hits do quite a lot of damage (so you can use it better against large structures).

I'd also buff the ROF to make it feel more like an artillery barrage when you're being shot at with it, but keep the ammo the same to make it more neccesary to stay with engineers while using it.

Basically if you get one grenadier he can drop lots of fairly low damage shells onto a pretty wide area, making it basically a no-go zone, or at least no-sit-still-and-fight zone, you could probably run through it taking only some damage, which is good for clearing out areas of infantry, and for reducing the defence of bases because infantry have to stay inside more if you have grenadiers shelling the shit out of the place.

In terms of actual lethality though it only really kills people if you have teammates helping out, either engineers to let you drop more shells, or riflemen to pin down enemies in an area, or more grenadiers to make the barrage more intense, but you can't rape with it on your own, and it's never going to be any good against tanks or infantry in the open unless you have a lot of grenadiers. It becomes a weapon for attacking bases and turret farms with, for supporting attacks on the city in cyclopean or the ruins on duststorm or any other infantry-heavy area, including turtled-in enemy bases. It's also good for defending chokepoints because you can shell them and make it harder for infantry to advance through it, and it gives the grenadier something new to do, so it doesn't make the class less fun.

It's still skill based because you need to be able to use arty feedback properly, and it helps if you can predict where the enemy is likely to go, and it's still likely to get you kills if you use it right. The only thing it isn't is the current mortar, and it makes the grenadier weaker against infantry in direct combat, and I don't see any problem with that because it encourages grenadiers to stick with other infantry.

8. Skyrage

Skyrage Member

I don't really like the sound of reducing the damage of the shells. That would be just as stupid really. If a shell lands next to you or on you you should damn well feel all the effects of it.

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

A fifth of your health bar is more than most bullets.

So you do feel the effects.

And I did say that if it lands right on you it would be substantially more powerful, the point is that it should have a wide area of effect but only a small area of severe lethality.

10. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

rename it to grenade launcher...

I always know that theres an enemy behind the corner if I attack at
    close range with the mortar, most people just ignore their surounding
    in empires and die cause of that.

11. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

This is probably my biggest post ever.

We already have artillery tanks and they are very expensive so I think its stupid to have a weaker variant of it for free.

The mowtar can already obliterate people dug in(check the bsid vs jpl match on crossroads) or use the arty squad skill which requires team work. But yes lets balance the anti-tank class around infantry maps.. Good idea :rolleyes:

.... Did you know it has a cross hair that you can use to measure distance?! Maybe you shouldn't be trying to change a weapon you don't understand... The arty skill is specifically for arty tanks.. :pathetic:

Well there is no assist points so your not promoting team work because people will just go rifleman to get kills.

We do this already with the current mowtar except now you want to make it easier for all those people to get wiped out by a single rifleman or scout that sneaks up on them.. That's damn near half the team right there to take out one base which a scout and tank could do easier and quicker.

I'm not completely sure about this but I think the kick is measured by damage so they would have to change the kick to all weapons instead of just the mowtars.

Its perfect as is and can already do these things your wanting it to do except be an arty tank. Your trying to make the class boring and useless unless its used a very certain way.. Most clan matches have an average of 8 vs 8 matches.. This mowtar you suggest would be completely useless in a match like that.. The current one is so versatile that it doesn't require 15 man teams for team work..

I use team work with it all the time! I always need ammo and health and I help take out buildings and kill targets the comm gives me all while gaining squad points that we use later if it becomes a ticket war or to kill that last barracks they are repairing.. This is completely a bad idea and I think you need to play empires more in a clan scene instead of with people like FocusedWolf.

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Designing a game soley for clans is an incredibly retarded idea, or possibly a sign that you're too incompetent to design it for public games.

13. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Yes lets design it around noobs and not people who know how to play it...

Maybe you want to read the rest of my points too?

14. arklansman

arklansman Member

Whoopsy fixedy.

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

No, let's design it so that you don't get noobs.

If your game isn't instantly understandable by players and playable right off the bat then it's badly designed, saying the player is doing it wrong is to ignore the whole point of game design which is to make sure the player doesn't do it wrong.

I'm not entirely sure that's correct but assuming it is, that gun doesn't have a large area effect, can't be used from complete safety, and doesn't work on structures.

16. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Wow.... Just wow... So by changing the mortar it will make this game noob proof? Maybe you should make your own mod because this game has a lot of depth and I highly doubt it will ever be "instantly understandable".

17. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

No, there's a lot about empires that need changing to make it 'noob proof'.

I also invite you to consider the difference between complexity and depth.

X3 is complex, it also has depth but it achieves it by being extremely complex.

Chess is deep. It is a fairly simple game to learn how to play, just memorise how each piece moves, but there is a vast amount of emergent depth which appears once you learn that.

Empires should aspire to being more like chess than X3.

18. teh_ham

teh_ham Member

And that solves what?

nothing.

19. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Im totaly think that everyone that cant handle grenadiers
    as infantry is not good at fps.

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It's not that I can't handle them, it's that I see no reason why they should be able to handle infantry as well as they can.

I think it would improve gameplay to give them only a pistol as an infantry defence weapon and to also give them a more artillerised mortar.