Suport our felow mod

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HungryGuy, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Wizzy

Wizzy Member

It's not so much the lag, it's the fact that the Oppression never wins.

Resistance players literally just have to rush the comm in the beginning, win every time in less than 20 seconds. Well, I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say it's because no one practiced yet. Hidden Source for example is another mod where it's one guy vs everyone else, and a decent hidden player will dominate everyone.

2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

snd_restart stops the music
    I hope they fix the lag as fast as Krenzo did ;D

3. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

vlade just beat us as oppression :P

4. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Well, there's only 10 spots on the resistance team and 1 on the oppresion. So 11 player servers should be plenty.

The 12 player servers always have one player whining he cant pick a character =D. Oh, I wonder why.

I just wish this game didnt' lagataticlag so much.

5. Wizzy

Wizzy Member

Well about time I hear about oppression winning :)

10 resistance vs 1 oppression drove some people nuts;

[​IMG]

Heck, even the first version of Empires had no where near the simultaneous amount of people complaining.

6. Doobie

Doobie Ancient Tester

lol oohh yes it did... It was a very stressful night for Krenzo. It didnt help that we had a few thousand ppl all bitching at one time...

7. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Whenever I feel like having a heart attack, I just pull up the original post on Planet Half-Life about Empires V1.0 with the 50+ comments/flamewar over how great/terrible Empires is. Also, the moddb.com review of Empires saying it's total shit is a good reminder.

As far as IG, I think releasing on a monday is the dumbest thing any mod team could do ever. What were they thinking?

8. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Urgh... Must have been one hell of a week then... Why is it that every new mod that gets released suffers from insane lag?

9. Doobie

Doobie Ancient Tester

You know what I always tell you ;) Every market analyst knows to release anything to the pub on the Thursday.

10. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

after seeing the trailer i didnt like it,, after now playing it i hate it,, but im gonna keep giving it a chance,, thats what i did with empires and after i figured out how empires worked i liked it

11. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

The engine is designed for infantry combat only. By default, the engine spends a good chunk of time dealing with infantry movement and animation. That's perfectly fine until you start adding stuff that has to compete for server cpu time. Then it can't run things fast enough.

12. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

and before hl2 was released i was under the impression vehicles were going be a big part of the engine

13. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Yeah and when I feel like I want to have a heartattack I just go to newegg and stare at that xms2 ram whats now $300.; Thats a great reminder on how I'll never finnish that $800 rig collecting dust in my closet.

But on a more serious note, I find it ironic on how all these mods say that they won't lag like empires, and how they're soo much better than us. Then come release, they lag horribly and are unstable. Dicks like vlade go on making wild claims like "Oh empires is dead, Irongrip is gonna be awsome, its WAAAAAAY better", then come release its unplayable.

I played a mere 5 minutes with Dizzy and the rest of BSID, its not that bad and in small games. My main problem with it is that the control scheme is HORRIBLE, I tried commanding and its a pain just to move the screen around let alone command units. THe pathfinding for Infantry is pretty good, they can manuver the streets quite well but its just a friggin pain in the ass to move units, youj have to select them, then press the move button then click somewhere. Then when you want to move them again, you need to reselect and press the button AGAIN. tank pathfinding is horrible in order to select it you have to select it by box because clicking on it is nearly impossible. And even when you do get it selected you HAVE to right click twice to get it to go there, that is if it can find its way there, I told it to go across a bridge, instead it ends up driving off the bridge onto iced over river sliding around. theres just too many things asbout being command thats more of a pain to do when it should be fun.

In short iron grip can be fun, it can be ALOT of fun... That is if your server or game doesnt crash in the middle of a firefight.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  14. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

The command mode crashed under 2 minutes for me. Then I decided to steer the hell away from it. The oppression won't stand a chance when the resistance has good players on it. Heh. I killed two squads with an SMG because the dump bots don't know how to shoot while moving. Then I stabbed some people from the next patch until a tank came in and killed me. Lag gets horrible everytime there's more than 3 tanks on a full 11 player server.

Again one more mod to the "Can be fun later"-list. :) I also stumbled upon some players that were scarred for life from the Empires 1.0 Beta release. I told them how it is these days and hopefully they'll try empires again. :) At least one of them told me he'd download Empires right after the round we were playing...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  15. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Use left click to move units in comm view. You don't need to keep clicking on move.

Oppression can have two people playing depending on how many resistance players there are.

16. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member

IG won't start here, all I get to see is the Intro and then....nothing.
    And no responce yet on their board - the best way to loose players fast. At least me...

17. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

last night i was playing and there was this guy running around killing only his teammates, and theres nothing u can do about it except kill him back... which sucks

18. Doobie

Doobie Ancient Tester

I found people in the IG community dont like it when you ask where the NF comm tank is, or ask for an arti...

They do, on the other hand, like laughing at nubs who ask for ammo like in empires!

19. Chahk

Chahk Member

So do we actually :) I'm tellin' ya, if the Empires community was bigger, Dee's "How to get ammos" line would be the new "Someone set up us the bomb".

20. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

How to get ammos?