Status of BSID Servers

Discussion in 'Clans' started by eth0, Dec 31, 2006.

1. eth0

eth0 Member

The specifics of the question are not terribly relevant here, simply the attitude and very poor communications that the empires developers take to it's supporting community.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

The story is pretty vague and with no actual details, I don't think it was really wise (or mature) to be posting the whole thing about the devs. A simple explanation that your servers are going down would have sufficed.

For this reason I'm reluctantly leaving this here but I can see this getting ugly fast. If it does, this thread will be closed :)

3. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Why make a dramma out of it?

In any case there are plenty other servers out there to play on...

Though I must congratulate you on saving some money on paying for bandwith...

4. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

is this new? how long are the bsid servers gonna be down for? lol we need to be more patient

5. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

They were down twice now...

6. eth0

eth0 Member

^^ this really isn't useful, is it Dee?

Exactly Shinzon, it's a matter between BSID and the Emp Dev and those that feel that there should be better PR for the Empires community.

(Oh and bandwidth is unmetered, shame!)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2007
  7. arklansman

arklansman Member

8. eth0

eth0 Member

Didn't like the idea of creating a new thread - although i know some people think that nerco-threads are a Bad Thing(tm)

Also i think that one of our number will be hosting a BSID'ish server.. albeit on the end of this home net connection... w/6 slots... so that should server, oh, half the empires community at least?

9. ^Dee^

Neither is posting the half story of this whole ordeal :)

10. eth0

eth0 Member

11. arklansman

arklansman Member

I never said it was easy. ;)

12. eth0

eth0 Member

Ok so i'll take it you concede the point; and to what are you referring to by "half the story"?

(Aside: why do i get the feeling that it's Dee's job to enigmatically troll the forums?)

Duly noted!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2007
  13. ^Dee^

you yourself admitted that the specifics have been left out. Are we to take your word that the specifics are irrelevant? Even if they are irrelevant, not revealing everything is only telling the proverbial "half story." From the information you provided, I can only gather that you (bsid) wasn't getting their way so they picked up their ball (servers) and went home.

If you want to blame me for that, go ahead but I'm only going on what you yourself have told us and by linking to that thread, you are approving of the information provided

But I'm curious, is your complaint that the devs don't provide enough feedback or that they don't organise all feedback in an easily accesible manner?

As far as I've seen, they have been pretty active in their feedback, whether it's through simple word of mouth or in the form of media. Heck, they've posted stuff that won't even be in the game for several versions to come.

14. eth0

eth0 Member

Ah ok, possible miss-understanding here in the language - the "irrelevant" bit wasn't the question per se, but the circumstances in which a handful of people where simply and flatly ignored. Should like to point out that we at least did open with a flurry of "hi"s, which where ignored... the rest of the incident was us gentley trying to determine whether we where being ignored or a technical issue with vent which as it turned out was the former, unfortunalty.

Change "picked up" to "kicked in" and that's pretty much how we felt, genuine disappointment.

No it's ok, i still love you Dee!

Ah ha! Nicely couple of points you raise Dee:
    In terms of quantity i'm sure sum would love all the minutia of the Empires development recorded somewhere public, but i think i can speak for a good portion of people (Ok a handful of BSID!) that having a dedicated PR person in the Empires project responsible to "organise all feedback in an easily accessible manner" would be bloody brilliant!

As it stands i'm sure the devs are blissfully un-aware of all the question pubber as us BSID (and i'm sure this also goes for CW/JPL) member of game chat questions we'd love to answer or point to a FAQ at, but another point you raise is that a problem we've (and i'm referring to the community at large here) is that the info is passed word-of-mouth and can end up being wildly inaccurate :/

I'm sure if the PR situation was better organised then Clans and Pubbers alike would not need/b] the same damn silly questions, wasting the dev's time.

15. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I think it has been stated more then enough times that PR will pick up once Empires is relativley good loking AKA; the version after the forum release...

The forums are plauged with things like "Release it now plz" and "Is it done yet". Going in person to ask them that does absolutley nothing...

To call Empires Vaporware... Its byong my comprehension, im playing it... The developers have answered our questions, Don Megel is out there poking at everyone with his smeksy renders. Mappers are busy posting updates of maps... I hardly call that vaporware...

Personaly I belive that Empires has one of the most responsive and more or less down to Earth dev team. I can't complain about anything, well maybe except one thing and that is 1.08 BUT I realise that Empires is not the only thing they do in their lives, and as much as we want them too, they will always have other things to do along with Empires, and that slows development down. For the community to ask and beg constantly on the status can get... tedious and annoying...

16. Bob The Builder

Bob The Builder Member

BSID is so funny :D

17. ^Dee^

I guess all the feedback could be a little better organised. I mean the dev blog and 1.08 status update threads has had numerous updates, as well as the mapping section but admittedly, they are kind of all over the place =o

18. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Is it our fault we have a hyperactive community who managed to spam the dev blog to 43 pages? :D

19. ^Dee^

I guess it's technically my fault. I did say I would keep it clean of spam :<

20. eth0

eth0 Member

Point of clarification: PR with the existing community, which is what this thread is about.

I'm getting the impression you didn't read my last post? :/

Precisely what a PR person or whatever you want a call the poor sod that sifts the gold from the shit is for and i don't mean in the "advertise for new players sense" i simply mean a human filter/organiser for the stuff buried in the forums now - i'm thinking that instead of say bogging the forum down with a billion sticks that this stuff be shuffled off into the wiki as there is a kinda-sorta-FAQ (ironically the question of release date has never been considered an FAQ lol!)