Status of BSID Servers

Discussion in 'Clans' started by eth0, Dec 31, 2006.

1. eth0

eth0 Member

My only wish it to have enough quality empires server distributed throughout the world so if/when this mod achieves +24 players online at any one time they will have a place to go. It's a shame that with the current political state of unrest that exists between On|E and BSID (On|E blanket-banning new and old BSID) that the server admins of this empire community can't all cooperate.

Additionally i'd love to hear from the quieter server admin out there of "Freaks Unleashed!" and "GameArena HL2" and the new server that's popped up "SibeServers.co.uk".

The truth is owning the only lag-free (or low-lag for transatlantic players) is a bit, well... sad :(

2. eth0

eth0 Member

I can vouch for that; somewhere between 8-10 and 12-14, depending on the map, wall spam etc.

Well all i can say is when i setup the server (wayback when) it originally only had 512MB of memory and "felt" like the JPL does right now. While everything pointed to the CPU being the bottleneck: 100% usage for the emp' process and most importantly the server's load average at ~3 (for those non-linux users that [roughly] means the OS need 3x as much processing power to sustain the current processing load so a load avg of <1 is teh win :)), however when my server was upgraded to 1GB of RAM not only did the load average drop to sensible levels we could also up the player slots from 18 -> 24. (Currently our server can *just* about hold 30 players, but can be dynamically tweaked to hold 26-28 whne busy)

3. Simon

Simon Banned

Yeah must have been me, JPL was not showing up, it is showing up again now... The sibe one ran wellish, hopefully it will be back up.

4. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Due to this action by bsid, I'm pretty much forced to release 1.08 in its current form.

5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

... :eek:

6. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Well, that was a surprise for everybody, including me, and i'm hard to surprise.

7. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

*Eye Twiching :eek:*

You and me both... But on the other hand; do you think it is worthy of release? did it pass the "Krenzo" judgement?

Forget what I said above...

This, just made my week :D

8. Simon

Simon Banned

Shocking. A bit of a relief though as I am banned from ONE and if that is the only decent server...

9. eth0

eth0 Member

Ow God no...

This "action" was primarily designed to courage more players on a more diverse set of servers, not have the entire community camp-out on ours, hence my recent assistance to the JPL crew help get there server up to speed.

The "until 1.08" clause was more of a rough marker (i understand about a month or so) so that hopefully enough new and established players will be on the seen for many servers to support.

Just to clarify, this was not intended to force the hand of the empires dev team. I my self am a sysadmin/software developer and no software should ever be push out in the wild on-demand as it where.

10. arklansman

arklansman Member

:o !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Shutup eth0, I wan't 1.8.
    As long as it's playable, I'd rather have more small updates sooner than wait forever for a huge one.

11. eth0

eth0 Member

Well i'm not gonna be a hypocrit, i would like 1.08 yesterday; tbh fuck the bugs, gimme aircraft now dammit!

12. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

1.8 won't have aircraft btw.

13. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Actually aircraft are in 1.10 (or at least I think so). But we all want 1.08 even if it would be just new maps + fixed bugs (some old bugs).

14. eth0

eth0 Member

I know Dee ;) and people it's 1.08 as in 1.07, 1.08 (no 1.09?), 1.1 (in this version scheme i think we assume the '0' so 1.10)

Sorry... Signed,
    Teh version Nazi.

15. tkeracer619

tkeracer619 Member

Hey thanks Eth0.

There is tons of speculation about our server. When it was OEM it ran 24ppl fine. The only problem was there was this lag when someone joined. The server was cleaned of stuff that came pre installed from the host. It fixed the people joining lag and manimod was installed. During this process something broke. Mani removal and a clean game server install did not fix the problem. I sent a mail to start the server over from square one, un known programs were deleted and they might have been required by the company. If a clean linux install doesn't fix the problem I will cancel the server and go somewere else. JPL will have a lag free server asap regardless of host.

Hopefully by tomorrow our server will be down and re-installing of emp can go forth.

1.08 nice. Sits at download page........ Refreshing

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  16. ^Dee^

There was a big thread from krenzo about numbering patches 1.x instead of 1.0x I believe they're going with 1.8 when it comes about =o

17. eth0

eth0 Member

The version Pigeon says: Coo!

18. Freak

Freak Member

Hi Eth0,

I am the owner of Freaks Unleashed and was wondering what you'd like to talk about. I don't play the game very often and I run the server just for kicks...

19. eth0

eth0 Member

20. ^Dee^

It's a commonly ignored question by any dev team, I don't see why you would have expected an answer.

Either way, if you want to get all pissy and take your ball with you, go ahead I guess.