[split] 2.25 particles and nukes (gtfo of my crashdump thread raeg )

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Empty, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Reef

Reef Member

Dizzy is kinda right. That's why We changed the name from nuke to HIT in the first place.

2. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Then name it something like low yield nuclear warhead or miniature nuclear warhead or tactical nuclear warhead. I'd hate to see one of the best Source engine particle effects removed because of something as silly as a name.

Also, trust me, no one is going to care about the name when you have a particle effect as awesome as that.

3. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

It isn't the name, it's the weapon characteristics itself that are conflicting with the particle's size.

The weapon characteristics is the same reason it was renamed from Nuke to Hit.

i've mentioned before in this thread (or the crash dump thread) that if you can come up with a better name then HIT, like "low yield nuclear warhead" then you should definitely suggest that to a developer. But even then I'd question whether the new name corresponds to a particle the size of my penis.

4. dizzyone

And I know it's awesome, thats why I didn't want to complain, but again, please look at how little damage it does to tanks and structures, then look at the explosion size.

Now imagine you're a new guy.

It's a matter of consistency, you don't call things "AWESOME BLACK HOLE GENERATOR" and give them a fart as sound effect.

5. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

There are worse inconsistencies in Empires than the nuke particle effect not being intuitive of the damage dealt. Gamers expect things in games not to be exactly like real life. You have to have at least some suspension of disbelief to play any FPS. Also, Empires can get away with some of this because it doesn't advertise itself as a realism mod.

Frankly, I don't think the nuke particle effect is really that out of proportion to the damage dealt. It rapes any infantry and building within the blast radius and does significant damage to tanks. If you're really that concerned about newbs getting confused, put some primer on the wiki or in the manual that says 'Empires vehicles are naturally hardened against nuclear attacks due to previous combat involving the use of nuclear warheads'. That would easily fit within the Empires universe.

6. Omneh

Omneh Member

The nuke does however instantly kill infantry in its blast radius. Getting instagibbed for no apparent reason is one of the most irritating aspects of nukes at the moment, and empty's particle effect nicely fixes that by filling the zone of instant death with flame and smoke.

I honestly see no need to drop such a fucking awesome and appropriate particle simply due to a nitpick over its effect on tanks and buildings. If you want to make it look like its having more of an effect on vehicles at least, give it a slight physpush.

As for what it is called, firstly why is a thermobaric weapon next to a fission reactor in the nuclear fission subtree in physics? Secondly, the vast majority of people call it a nuke, now it looks like a nuke. Even new players call it a nuke. There is no reason to call it a HIT over a Nuke (something like Micronuke would be more appropriate perhaps), especially now we have more appropriate explosion effect.

The nuke does need a new sound though.

On the subject of particles, what happened to the awesome looking artillery explosions that were in the SVN a few weeks ago? They seem to have been simplified, and while they look similar, they don't look as great as they did.

I can't say I like the HE cannon explosion. It doesn't last long enough, its not really big and smoky and firey enough.

I'm hoping particle support for vehicle explosions, structure explosions, rocket trails, building placement (readded) and muzzle effects (on infantry and tank weaponry) will be added before release, 2.25 would seem rather incomplete without it.

7. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

I think it is more appropriate to have the particle effect size match the damage size, as far as most players are concerned it is a very damaging weapon sine all infantry in the radius insta die. Its far more confusing now to die from seemingly nothing but a sound effect. And let's face it there are far more infantry running around to die than tanks, and a majority of tanks will be driven by more veteran players.

The radiation effect and EMP can basically be disregaurded. Radiation cause it really doesn't matter And Isnt immediate. EMP because nukes it atmosphere don't really have an EMP effect any larger than it's damage radius anyway. Plus it only effects small circuits, if we got hit by an EMP all our house wiring and power lines and even older car wiring would remain intact.

8. dizzyone

I see, indeed it makes so much sense, you guys opened my eyes.

Anyhow, I never said it should be removed, I was just giving my opinion on the ridiculous mushroomcloud that is obviously only fit for a nuke, which was renamed after a thousand complaints from regular players, that didn't perceive it as a nuke. I was slightly suggesting it might be a better idea to use common sense once in a while.

Anyhow, I'm done trolling this forum. I've noticed there isn't much left to ruin.

9. Empty

Empty Member

The previous artillery was an un-optimised one.

I can make you an awesome long lasting effect.
    Or I can make an ever so slightly less awesome but much much cheaper short effect.

Anyway, I made my nuke effect match the splash radius, and anyone who bitches about the damage can go get fucked, it does 3-4 plates
    PLATES in one shot, decimates turrets and significantly harms buildings.

I put a fair chunk of work into fixing the hugely broken mechanic of 10ft explosion 90ft kill radius, and I got the radius spot on.

My order of priorities with particle effects is:
    1) Make it match the weapon's ingame behaviour, splash, etc.
    2) Make it make it's parent weapon unique and easily identifiable.
    3) Make it cheap
    4) Make it look cool

Damage isn't on that list, damage varie4s, and if I'm going by damage, all my explosions would be shit looking because none of our guns DO ANY REASONABLE DAMAGE.

10. Reef

Reef Member

Could an explosion that instakills infantry and only damages tanks and buildings look like, for example, a shrapnel? Lot's of small flying objects flying in all directions?

To a certain point, yes.

If the problem is that HIT is researched in physics, it can be moved somewhere else.

Nevertheless the particle is so cool it would be bad to not find a place in the game for it. Perhaps if it would be a bit smaller and would be fired from an artillery chassis? Physics has long-range in arty, but "Micronukes" could be added to the same place in the tree plasma shells are. It would fit more (makes much more sense to fire this kind of particle from an arty than from a tank). Name would be right too.

On the other hand, HIT's could be renamed to something else. Face it: it's NOT a bigger version of plasma-mg that is used to overheat enemy tanks. It's used to mass kill infantry. To make it less confusing We need to do one of those:
    - decrease damage to infantry/buildings, rescale old particle, call it HIT, make it deal mostly heat
    - increase damage to tanks/buildings, call it nukes, nerf the fire rate or weight or something (still, it's a superweapon? :| )
    - change particle to something that matches what the gun really does, change name to something like kinetic-anti-infantry-missile or uranium-shrapnel-missile or something (+maybe decrease heat)

11. Empty

Empty Member

Or just leave it as it is,
    we survived 3 years with it called a nook.

12. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

The discussion is still about the name of nukes?
    LOL. Just call it HIT Missile (Nuke). :rolleyes:

Empty:
    Maybe this concerns you:
    • Mortar tracer and explosion are sometimes invisible :eek:
    • There are little white round flashes sometimes in the middle of the explosions (e.g. Rail gun explosions). Particles overflow? :confused:

13. Empty

Empty Member

Lol no. It's the explosion flashing.
    Because it's an explosion.
    It flashes.

And mortar hasn't got a tracer.

14. Reef

Reef Member

Arty particle is too awesome for damage it does.

Railgun explosion plays too fast compared to other particles. You don't get to look on it like on the others, it almost flashes and it's gone.

The solution for the arty and micronuke could be that in Empires universe, BE are full of nanobots and NF are genetically modified, so they can withstand enormous damage. It also explains the amount of bullets You need to put in another player to kill him.

15. Empty

Empty Member

Arties are plenty powerful, and the railgun effect is designed so it doesn't overheat the enemy tanks graphics card.

16. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Emp effect? how bout overheating and tank failing?

Radiation? anything in it's radiation effect area would die immediately, and residual radiation in the area wouldn't harm anything immediately, any definitely not in the average life span of the emp ground trooper.

How bout we rename it nuke and make it have a larger particle effect and more damage?

17. Mashav

Mashav Member

conc is a huge explosion... if you dont get conced its quite odd to see a giant explosion

18. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I want shrapnel missiles instead of nukes and for the awesome empty effect use it on the com tank that dies killing everyone around and have it last 2x longer.

19. Empty

Empty Member

Concs shouldn't have an explosion.
    The test facility wishes to advise you that if the explosion concs make gives you advice, this advice should be ignored.

20. manbeef

manbeef Member

Yeah the conc's are pretty much nuke grenades, I think something should be done about that.