So I'm making a PC...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ImSpartacus, Apr 27, 2014.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I'm thinking quad slot with a 280mm radiator.

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

See, Spartacus gets me.

But my radiator is actually 360mm, and I will continue to use it in the new system. To be honest, now that I think about it, there's not a great deal I need to upgrade physically. I'll need a new CPU, Motherboard and GPU, plus the associated cooling blocks to go with that. Maybe a new SSD as well. But besides this, I see no reason to upgrade my case, PSU, radiator, RAM or sound card. Having said that, having wasted parts (i.e. the old ones) upsets me a lot. I've had a motherboard with a Q9450 and 8gb RAM sat on a shelf for like 2 years with no use for it. Doing the same to an i5 2500k and 2 x GTX 480 would be criminal.

Also, I'll buy whatever the best card Nvidia are doing at the time which is a 1x. I won't buy an X2 of any kind again, nor will I be fucking about with SLI, nor will I ever be fucking about with AMD drivers again. Lessons have been learnt.

3. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

You're actually going to build it yourself? With your hands? What kind of fucking serf are you?

4. ImSpartacus

You're keeping that open loop system? May God help you.

Also, you're a complete tool for not upgrading before me. I would've poached that 2500k+mobo in a heart beat. Sandy bridge ftw.

5. Trickster

Yeah, after fitting the new pump, I sat down, spoke with some people including the guy who sold me the PC and ROOR20, who gave me some pretty good advice. I read up a bit more and I actually feel pretty confident with building my own watercooling system now. Once you understand the way things actually work then it's pretty straight forward.

The PC still performs well enough at the moment. If I actually ever got around to reactivating the 2nd GTX 480 then it would probably be even better. I just really want a 4K monitor and I know that this PC won't be up to that. That is literally the only reason I want to upgrade, but I'd have to shell out on a titan or 2 to actually get a PC which could, so now really isn't the time to upgrade in that respect.

I really enjoy building the PC, I get a really good sense of satisfaction from it. My last PC I bought pretty much done but I later regretted not buying it in bits, as my lack of understanding for watercooling caused me some hassle when the pump died. But either way, it's nice to have a real feeling of "this is MY PC, I built it with my own hands".

6. Space_Oddity

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

How I felt building my pc:

[​IMG]

My hands were not designed for such itty bitty work.

7. ImSpartacus

I lust for a $1000 PC for the same reason this brit lusts for a 12HP car from the 40s even though he's completely capable of driving a legitimate race car.

So nearly everyone is massively butthurt over my choice of mITX, but I haven't heard a single practical disadvantage of mITX in an average gaming machine (let alone my personal use case).

8. Trickster

Your PC is not a classic collectors item steeped in nostalgia. It is a computer.

9. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

What if he installed Windows ME on it?

10. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Then it'd be a Reliant Robin

11. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

There is nothing wrong with that mobo. I would have registered a complaint if you planned on overclocking that processor to something high, but you can't overclock it so there is no reason to spend more.

Some people like the idea of being able to put in some pci card, like trickster and his soundcard. You ain't gonna do anything like that though, no wifi card(mobo has wireless already), no sound card, no extra graphics card, you don't need extra sata ports, you have no reason to get more than 16 gigs of ram, or in this case upgrade by adding another 2 sticks to 16 gigs. You got something that fits all your needs and you are smart enough to know that.

12. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

This is a motherboard for a HTPC not a gaming PC. Those only 2 RAM slots alone make me shudder.

13. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

I'm more worried about the lack of airflow with that 290. Does the case have good airflow?

14. ImSpartacus

I agree. That's a large part of why I paid twenty bucks for a full size cpu cooler so the gpu would have more thermal headroom to play with.

It also has a large vent right next to the GPU's fan, so I'm confident that the card will do fine.

That's one of the nice things about the mobo being oriented "down". The GPU fan can aim directly outside of the case, and the prodigy exploits that fully.

15. McGyver

So how's it going? Did you manage to cramp all the stuff into the case?

16. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

17. ImSpartacus

IS BABBY CASE

[​IMG]

SUCH ADORABLE :|ove: :|ove: :|ove: :|ove: :|ove: :|ove:

IS BABBY BE FORMED

18. Space_Oddity

Enjoy your gay baby.

I got my manly monolith back tonight.

19. McGyver

Sparti, i hope you won't have sex with your case.

20. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

too bad there are no items sitting next to it for size comparisons.