Smithy's Art Adventures

Discussion in 'Art' started by Smithy, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

I didn't want to clutter/derail what the other guys have going on in the other threads so thought I'd make my own. I've been inactive for a while now, so for people who don't know what it is that I do; I was originally added to the team in the MOOtant days, with the intention of improving/updating some of the assets in the game.
    A few changes that I have been responsible for in the past:
    • Created/implemented new Brenodi ML turret models.
    • Implementing the shotgun models. (Courtesy of RappemongO)
    • Implementing the updated brenodi crate models. (Courtesy of f1r3w4rr10r)
    • Changing the Brenodi Barracks layout and both barracks spawns to help solve prone blocking.
    • Fixed playerclips on emp_slaughtered.
    • Altered the tree model used throughout emp_slaughtered. Added 4 levels of LOD, hopefully this improves performance a little.
    • Made the brenodi "hypnodisc" effect harder to achieve. (Sorry Trickster :P)
    • Adding palm tree models that were requested. Found in common\props_foliage\trees\palms
    I'm making this thread to gain some feedback for the models I'm working on for the game. I will try to keep all of my empires related pictures at this link:
    GALLERY

2. Smithy

Ok so to start with here's some tasters of what I've been working on more recently. Keep in mind they're still a work in progress:
    Updated Brenodi engineer camera/radar models. Sticking with the original aesthetics with these and I think I'll end up making new ones for NF to give some asymmetry.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Updated Brenodi refinery. Sticking to the original design again, my original intention with this one was to test out whether its feasible to replace the buildings with a fully textured model rather than what we use at the moment, which is various tiled textures applied to the different sections.
    [​IMG]
    Updated Brenodi SMG2, this is heavily WIP. Blue geometry is old stuff I haven't replaced yet. I'm not happy with the way lower half looks right now, but as I said it's WIP.
    [​IMG]
    Any feedback is appreciated. :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  3. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I'll be in my bunk.

4. Smithy

Trying to block out a concept for the NF Camera. There's not much detail to the model so far, I just need some feedback on what I have so far.
    [​IMG]

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

imo the brenodi cam you made fits nf better. the base of this nf camera reminds me on the brenodi radar building (even though its completely different)
    you could also try single sided joints.

the besmg2 looks awesome. its missing the bead though.

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Some nice stuff here, but I'm not sure about the little squares on the brenodi ref. I feel like it's overall too much with that, though I can't describe a better fit for that area.

The NF camera may indeed fit BE more, I'm sharing flasche's thoughts on this. Though that base needs to lose a little thickness. It's a little chunky as it is. Maybe you just need 3 out of the 6 sides, so it's more like a radiation symbol from above.

I'm kinda excited to see what you'd do to the NF ref actually. Out of all the models, that one is most like a block of wood, waiting to be shaped into something a little more interesting.

7. Smithy

Yeah I think I probably agree too after looking at them both a second time. Im trying out different alterations at the moment to see what looks good. Heres a radar that matches the previous style, nowhere near finished just in the concepting stage at the moment:
    [​IMG]

8. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I really like that nf beast you got.

That nf camera looks a bit chunky, like the base is really thick. I like that design though, It just looks like it weighs a lot, something that an engy wouldn't just slap down where ever. Which is a silly thing to say because it is a game, but still.

9. ImSpartacus

Do we know if the beast is replacing the current heavy or if we're getting a fourth mega tank?

10. Smithy

I'm not actively working on the beast. Its a bit of a mess to be completely honest with you. The pictures in the gallery are from when I originally started working on it, I don't think I'll be revisiting it any time soon though.
    I tried to get a significantly different silhouette for both variations of cameras. The base is where I ran out of ideas really, but yeah you're right it does look heavy. I'll see what I can come up with.

11. flasche

tripod and more edgy camera. brenodi has lot of edged geometry.

if youd replace that little electronics panel from the radar it would perfectly fit nf - id leave the nf joints for nf though, they look more "steampunky".
    then you could make brenodi a radar on a tripod like the cam and outfit it with a hexagonally shaped antenna (since theres lots of hexes on brenodi buildings) so you have distinct shiluettes.
    something like that shape wise.
    [​IMG]
    yes i know this is an octagon

12. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Oh man. The Beast is fucking ridiculous, it's like twice the size of a BE Heavy. If we were to change current heavies to something like tank destroyers and make the Mammoth Tank equivalent The Beast, I would be a very happy man.

13. ImSpartacus

Meh, asymmetrical gameplay is always cool.

If we do decide to replace some tank models, can we plan to make their turrets such that they can aim down enough to hit nearby targets? I'm in the "fuck realism" camp on that one because it's simply unfun when you can see a target, but you can't see it.

[​IMG]

I know this is a model limitation, so I think it's relevant to bring up in this kind of thread, especially if you're not yet finished with the beast or any other chassis replacement. I'd imagine they are big modeling projects - are we even replacing the chassis models?

Try a thin, wirey stand. Like a tripod or something.

[​IMG]

14. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I'm sorry but this is where you are wrong. We are not even making the animations for the tanks, so it's a code limitation.

15. ImSpartacus

It's a parameter in the scripts.

If you change it (like I did in Spartacuspires), then the cannon clips through the models.

vehicle_nf_heavy_tank.txt
    Code:
    //Turret properties
    "Seat 1 Min Pitch" "10" 
    "Seat 1 Max Pitch" "-30" 
    "Seat 1 Min Pitch Rear" "3" 
    "Seat 1 Max Pitch Rear" "-30" 

16. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

In that sense, yes. But that's not solely modeler's decision. You might want to ask Trickster, if he wants to do that game play wise. I imagine he doesn't.

17. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

As an amateur gren I would appreciate if you couldn't aim right next to the tank, that is one of the safer spots to be. Though if you mean being something like the nf heavy and not being able to shoot the be heavy right next to you? Yeah, that kinda stinks.

18. ImSpartacus

There aren't normally too many restriction on a modeler.

Granted, that's not always the case. For example, if someone wanted to change something like the mortar, they'd be strung up. Is that right? Probably not, but it's Empires.

19. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Don't even get me started on the mortar. ;P

20. flasche

what would you want to animate on a tank that is handled by code atm?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014