Slower heavies make for a better game

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Lazybum, Sep 24, 2014.

1. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Shift values in the tank script get overridden by the engine script. Same thing with anything in the engine script that is also in the vehicle script.

MAXRPM effects: (in order of amount effected)
    Shift timing
    Reverse speed under some situations.. like wtf kind of speed. You can flip backwards instantly.
    HP (if you don't make corresponding setting adustments)
    Something else... I forget...

Notes from my script that sparty has:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  2. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Universal slots is an idea with a lot of consequences, most of those being balance. Tank combat is designed in a specific way right now, with a primary weapon and a secondary, one of which usually has a lot of heat and one that has significantly less.

If you convert the slots to universal without overhauling the entirety of weapons research, you instantly magnify all the problems by a factor that someone who knows maths can probably figure out. It's not X+X, though it would seem like it should be, it's X*X instead, because you've dropped off a baseline you're not even thinking about.

And that's not even gameplay, or the new need to only research 1 weapon to get a fighting fit tank.

I honestly think you'd be better off designing 6 new weapons that diversify the weapon roles, rather than making universal slots. I'd say 10 new weapons, but the game can't really support that many without them being redundant - the more you have, the smaller you have to make the differences to accommodate them.

3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Viroman, I don't see anything in the engine scripts that change the max rpm, so how does a heavy tank shift up at 1600 when the chassis script says it can only go to 1200?

4. ViroMan

maxrpm is not overwritten.

Vehicle script:
    "horsepower"
    "maxspeed"
    "maxReverseSpeed"
    "shiftuprpm"
    "shiftdownrpm"

Overridden with...
    Engine script:
    "Horsepower"
    "Max Speed"
    "Max Reverse Speed"
    "Shift Up RPM"
    "Shift Down RPM"

edit: oh, OH, I get what your at. Ya, I do see that.
    V:
    "maxrpm" "1200"
    E:
    "Shift Up RPM" "1600"

It helps when I get some sleep sometimes. Honestly... I duno. it should mean that it is stuck in first gear thus, always having max torque available to it via 1st gear.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  5. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I've only dabbled in gearing, but I wonder if such a configuration WOULD lock an engine in first. That might be interesting.

Though, driving such a vehicle is unpleasant at best (one of the few things I actually have tested). You feel like you're on a rocket, but then it basically freezes. Oh and driving in reverse is insane.

6. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Six reverse gears for tactical retreats?

7. ViroMan

No its one gear but, the source code fucks up when you change some script items to be... different.

There is that... and then there is Sparticus changing the script around that the properties are reversed and your driving forward on a vehicle that has properties of driving in reverse steering wise. Its funny and hard as hell to drive a strait line.

8. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I was talking about the player-buildable command vehicles that had stupid amounts of torque and only one gear and a low max speed.

Doing doughnuts was never so fun. People get really freaked out when they see a command vehicle moving so nimbly.

9. CRITAWAKETS

CRITAWAKETS Member

I already know what will happen if i modify the CV and it affects all empires servers,Next day empires will be a race to what cv boom tanks the fastest.

10. ViroMan

Well there is an apparent speed limit. Although people might find ways to make the handling fineness at that speed better.