Slower heavies make for a better game

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Lazybum, Sep 24, 2014.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

No one researches arty today and we're 100% kewl with that.

2. complete_

complete_ lamer

ok have fun!

3. ImSpartacus

get the fuck on steam

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

we had a time where noone researched heavies - i forgot the reason though.

what complete_ said was basically the same i said before. make them too slow and you remove a feature since meds will outperform them - giving LTs 2slot weapons enabled them to outperform brenodi(!) heavies. also dont ignore that people like their heavy tanks, they make up for a lack of skill - you better be careful with dramatically changing what people like, theres not much room left in terms of population.

if you want to nerf heavy speed you probably have to buff some other feature. but what? even though you said 3slot weapons are a joke this is only true for railguns*. neither salvo homing nor nuke are weak. so if you want my opinion (which you probably dont, ill tell anyway) buff weapons is no real option either. armor? well tank combat already is on the brink of being stale, grenadiers do jackshit against heavies, so armor is out too. whats left?

*but we also had a time when rails where the shit. it was 2.12 times, there was walls-of-text what to do and how to counter rail heavies.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  5. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Thought: You shouldn't take a screaming minority as 100% representive of what the active player base wants or what is good for game balance.

6. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

The Mammoth Tank in C&C Renegade is slow as hell. It serves two things: to make you feel vulnerable to fast-moving units (like the Stealth Tank) and to show that this is a thing that can take a beating. Still, it is a lot of fun to drive and incredibly powerful when coupled with proper back-up.

I'd like to test out those scripts. Could you pass them to Wealthysoup?

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I guess the question then is, whether the server fills up with mammoth tanks in Renegade, or whether it's one or two with a squad in its shadow, barrelling through the enemy.

The problem with Empires is we can't quite have nice tanks because no tank is niche. We get mediums, everyone gets mediums, we get heavies, everyone gets heavies. Part of the reason people switch from lights to mediums (for NF only) is because the mediums have big gains in weaponry, but they're the special case. For the rest, the step up in power is almost mandatory, and although I myself prefer mediums because they're a little more agile, we have a situation where each tank chassis is TWICE as capable as the previous, rather than 50%. The plating going from 2 to 4 to 8 (though I don't know hull health) is actually not a good idea because it more or less makes the previous chassis redundant.

At least, that's what I'm thinking now. Maybe you guys can have a think about it and tell me if the game would be better with a narrower gradient between tanks, which would keep all chassis somewhat relevant, and also provide the subtle nerfs we've been angling for.

Speed is a good nerf, I won't lie, but I think we'd need two variants of heavy to really provide a proper dynamic - one mammoth that would crawl but be insanely strong (we currently don't actually have a tank that would act like an infantry shield, which is something key missing imo), and one destroyer that would specifically take out enemy tanks. The reason I say we need two variants is because heavies aren't really modelled to be something infantry can move in behind, and it'd be a waste to remove our current heavy tanks.

I know that sounds like "really? you want to give us more vehicles to deal with? and more models to make?" but if you're talking about mammoth tanks and other niches, well we don't really fill them right now.

Also the AFV needs a new model, since it's the one thing that's preventing light tanks from being buffed slightly so they stay relevant. Any buff to the light chassis right now would make LT's once again totally outclass the AFV, as well as be much more fun than the AFV to drive, and if we actually do get the new med model for NF, it'd be unnecessary to have that disproportion.

Sorry for the sprawling "rehaul tanks!" post, but it's basically what I thought and think is the answer to your comment about mammoth tanks, and the way to make tank combat a lot more fun. As well as give games more strategic options. Jeez, yeah it touches everything.

8. ImSpartacus

I don't mean to suggest that this audience is the only audience that matters.

You probably don't see me in game, but I'm constantly asking players what they would change about Empires. Candles laughed at me just yesterday because of the way that I phrased that exact question to a particular server.

The point is that you make your best attempts to collect data from multiple sources and weight that properly. Unfortunately, proper data collection is difficult so most of these results are subjective, but that's the best we got.

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Haschtewas was saying that he honestly thought just making tanks slow would kill them in their usefulness. So some people don't like the idea of completely slow heavies.

That said he and a couple of others seem to like it if you also made them take more of a pounding. I agree with whoever said more armor plates was a step in the wrong direction, but it would be easy to increase hull health. Currently tanks increase by 50 hp every tier, starting at 150 for light tanks. I think a simple buff of 100-150 hp to heavy tanks on top of their 250 hull hp would work out well, if you make them as slow as viroman is suggesting.

10. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Speed mostly only matters during tank vs tank combat.
    If all tanks are slow, it won't make tanks much useless.

11. Lazybum

I meant just heavy tanks slow.

EDIT: I think it matters against infantry too, it allows you run at a drop of a hat.

12. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Yeah that's the same, you can keep poking me with your low dps medium tank.

13. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Host_Error: SV_CreatePacketEntities: GetEntServerClass failed for ent 1.

just love the weird errors

Anyways.. Spart seems to think the Heavies are still a bit to fast. :(
    I think the point of the conversation was "slow them down... increase armor and dmg a ton."

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  14. ImSpartacus

That is my stance, but I don't want that to stop people from experimenting.

If you slowed then to roughly the speed that wet tested tonight and increased the hull hp a bit, then you'd have a mostly balanced tank and people would probably be ok with it.

15. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

I was talking to Candles in spec the other night about vehicle speed. I learned that speed is the only variable being used to set the engine characteristic of a vehicle. He said there were other variables that could be set but they don't mess with them, since they require alot of research. He also said Spartacus is doing some of that learning right now.

Spartacus - IM me anytime I'm online if you need help with testing.

I think it would be great to have control over engine torque. I'd like to see something in a Coolant class that is slow but with high torque. Enough to push other tanks, but not enough to zip away. Also enough to climb steep hills slowly, where the 3Phase engine would need to make a big circle to get enough momentum to get up the same hill. I think this would change the characteristic of the game and make multiple engine types more useful.

BIODiesel should have high torque but limited speed - right now it has limited speed and useful only due to it being a great nub engine. I like it since I trained on the old style 3Phase and when that changed it fucked up my timing and overheating in tanks.

3Phase should have very low torque, slow start, but higher top end speed. The vets will continue to love this engine for firing when moving and cooling can improve while firing and moving - like it used to. When they get bumped by a coolant tank the coolant tank can push them around. Don't let one of those high torque tanks get near you.

16. ImSpartacus

It's pretty cool shit, but suspensions are the work of satan.

Code:
    // Brenodi Empire Jeep; 

"vehicle"
    {
    	"body"
    	{		
    		//"countertorquefactor"	"0.75"
    		"massCenterOverride"		"0 0 0"	//-1.5"	//(Left/Right Front/Rear Up/Down) leave at vec3_origin for no override - duke edit - as steve mentioned, this greatly affects wether it rolls or not, and setting it higher (So the center is higher up) tends to lower to tendency to flip
    		"massoverride"			"700"		// in kg, leave at 0 for no override (kg)
    		"addgravity"			"1"		//0.33"		// keeps car down
    		"maxAngularVelocity"		"120"	
    		"tiltforce"			"300"	//20
    		"tiltforceheight"		"-10"	//64
    		"keepuprighttorque"		"1"
    	}
    	"engine"
    	{
    		"horsepower"		"250"		// engine power
    		"maxrpm"			"1500"	// max rounds per minute
    		"maxspeed"			"65"		// forward mph
    		"maxReverseSpeed"	"20"		// backward mph
    		"autotransmission"	"1"		// true for auto, false for manual
    		"axleratio"		"3.56"	// ratio of engine rev to axle rev
    		"gear"			"3.5"		// 1st gear (max 6 gears) 
    		"gear"			"1.8"		// 2nd gear
    		"gear"			"1.26"	// 3rd gear
    		"gear"			"1.0"		// 4th gear
    		"gear"			"0.84"	// 5th gear
    		"shiftuprpm"		"600"		// max RPMs to switch to a higher gear
    		"shiftdownrpm"		"250"		// min RPMs to switch to a lower gear

"autobrakeSpeedGain"		"2"		// 10% speed gain while coasting, put on the brakes after that  //VM: can coast down hills faster then with engine
    		"autobrakeSpeedFactor"	"3.0"		// Brake is this times the speed gain

// Empires - no boost for you! VM: Fuck you trickster.. BOOST FOR EVERYONE EVERYONE!
    		"boost"
    		{
    			//"force"		"1.5"	// 1.5 car body mass * gravity * inches / second ^ 2
    			"duration"		"1.0"	// 1 second of boost
    			"delay"		"1.0"	// 15 seconds before you can use it again
    			"torqueboost"	"1"	// enable "sprint" mode of vehicle, not	force type booster			
    			"maxspeed"		"80"	// maximum turbo speed
    			"force"		"5"	// use for value as a boost factor
    		}
    	}

"steering"
    	{
    		"degreesSlow"		"40"	// angle in degrees of steering
    		"degreesFast"		"20"	// angle in degrees of steering
    		"steeringExponent"	"1.0"	// steering function is linear, then raised to this power to be slower at the beginning of the curve, faster at the end

"slowcarspeed"		"13"	// this is the max speed of "slow"
    		"fastcarspeed"		"20"	// this is the min speed of "fast"
    		"slowsteeringrate"	"2"	// this is the speed the wheels are steered when the vehicle is "slow"
    		"faststeeringrate"	"0.75"	// this is the speed the wheels are steered when the vehicle is "fast"

"steeringRestRateSlow"		"4.0"	// this is the speed at which the wheels move toward their resting state (straight ahead)
    		"steeringRestRateFast"		"4.0"	//2
    		"turnThrottleReduceSlow"		"0.25"
    		"turnThrottleReduceFast"		"0.25"
    		"brakeSteeringRateFactor"		"6"
    		"throttleSteeringRestRateFactor"	"2"

//boost control
    		"degreesBoost"				"10"	// steering cone at max boost speed (blend toward this after max speed)
    		"boostSteeringRestRateFactor"	"1.7"
    		"boostSteeringRateFactor"		"1"

"skidallowed"		"1"	// true/false skid flag
    		"dustcloud"		"1"	// flag for creating a dustcloud behind vehicle

}

"wheelsperaxle"	"2"	// wheels per axle

// front axle
    	"axle"
    	{
    		"torquefactor"	"1"
    		"brakefactor"	"0.0"	// normalized to 1 across all axles

"wheel"
    		{
    			"radius"		"18"
    			"mass"		"300"		// in kg
    			"inertia"		"0.5"		// steady the car (fixes the oscillation of the axles about z)
    			"damping"		"0"		//affects fishtailing
    			"rotdamping"	"0"		// usually 0
    			"material"		"Rubber_Friction_16"	//"jeeptire"	// tire surface properties 
    			"skidmaterial"	"Rubber_Friction_2"	//"slidingrubbertire"	// surface properties when sliding
    			"brakematerial" "Rubber_Friction_8"	//"brakingrubbertire"	// surface properties wen breaking
    		}

"suspension"
    		{
    			"springConstant"		"100"	//"70"	//Strength of spring, lower values will make spring weaker. Controls how much lean a vehicle will do on turns and how the wheels react when impact from a fall.
    			"springDamping"			"1"	//"2"		//0 = almost boblehead spring. This dampens all motion of the springs.
    			"stabilizerConstant"		"50"	//"110"	//Fucking stabalizers how do they work?
    			"springDampingCompression"	"10"	//"4"		//Higher values effect stearing since the wheels are not contacting ground fast enough after compression in bumpy areas.
    			"maxBodyForce"			"600"	//"250"	//How much force can be transferred to the vehicle on impact. Fragile jeeps are fragile!
    		}
    		"offset"		"0 64 25"	//(Left/Right Front/Rear Up/Down)
    		"wheeloffset"	"40 0 0"	//(Left/Right Front/Rear Up/Down)

}

// rear axle
    	"axle"
    	{
    		"torquefactor"	"0"
    		"brakefactor"	"1"

"wheel"
    		{
    			"radius"		"18"
    			"mass"		"300"
    			"inertia"		"0.5"		// steady the car (fixes the oscillation of the axles about z)
    			"damping"		"0.5"		//affects fishtailing
    			"rotdamping"	"0"
    			"material"		"Rubber_Friction_16"	//"jeeptire"	// tire surface properties 
    			"skidmaterial"	"Rubber_Friction_2"	//"slidingrubbertire"	// surface properties when sliding
    			"brakematerial" "Rubber_Friction_8"	//"brakingrubbertire"	// surface properties wen breaking

}
    		"suspension"
    		{
    			"springConstant"		"100"	//"70"	//Strength of spring, lower values will make spring weaker. Controls how much lean a vehicle will do on turns and how the wheels react when impact from a fall.
    			"springDamping"			"1"	//"2"		//0 = almost boblehead spring. This dampens all motion of the springs.
    			"stabilizerConstant"		"50"	//"110"	//Fucking stabalizers how do they work?
    			"springDampingCompression"	"10"	//"4"		//Higher values effect stearing since the wheels are not contacting ground fast enough after compression in bumpy areas.
    			"maxBodyForce"			"600"	//"250"	//How much damage can be transfered to the vehicle on impact. Fragile jeeps are fragile!
    		}
    		"offset"		"0 -68 25"	//(Left/Right Front/Rear Up/Down)
    		"wheeloffset"	"40 0 0"	//(Left/Right Front/Rear Up/Down)
    	}
    }
    Don't forget Viroman.

Can't be done. A particular engine can only replace a handful of the values in the vehicle script.

Candles can't find the variables that need to be overwritten.

17. Lazybum

I thought JGF was talking about this stuff?
    Code:
    	"Standard"
    	{
    		"Name"				"Standard Engine"		
    		"Description"			"This is the standard engine with basic properties."		
    		"Icon"				"vehicles/gui/engine/engine_small"		
    		"Size"				"1"
    		"Type"				"9"
    		"Cost"				"10"
    		"Weight"			"20"
    		"Research"			""

"Max Weight"			"5000"
    		"Max Speed"			"30"
    		"Max Reverse Speed"		"20"
    		"Shift Up RPM"			"1600"
    		"Shift Down RPM"		"800"
    		"Horsepower"			"700"
    		"Horsepower Weight Penalty"	"0.0"	//amount of max throttle reduction as vehicle weight exceeds Max Weight
    		"Horsepower Health Modifier"	"0.0"	//amount of max throttle reduction as health is destroyed
    		"Horsepower Armor Modifier"	"0.0"	//amount of max throttle reduction as armor is destroyed
    		"Heat Output At Max"		"2"	//how much heat is output when the vehicle is at full throttle
    		"Heat Output At Idle"		"1"	//how much heat is output when a driver is in the vehicle and throttle is zero
    		"Stall On Armor Damage"		"100"	//stall the engine when this amount of damage to armor is received
    		"Stall On Health Damage"	"60"	//stall the engine when this amount of damage to hull health is received
    		"Stall On Heat"			"0.8"	//the percentage of heat to begin stalling the engine
    		"Heat Capacity"			"100.0"
    		"Heat Stall Penalty"		"0.0" 	//how much max throttle is limited to when overheating is occurring
    		"Heat Dissipation"		"4"	//amount of heat removed per second
    	}
    I know that what he is asking for also kinda requires the other vehicle settings to be modified, but there is still quite a few things that could be done to help differentiate the current vehicle engines without messing with those settings.

18. ImSpartacus

The following bit makes me think that he isn't talking about engines. Engines are mostly simple (except fuck cooling) and the engine code is 100% accessible by Candles or the other coders.

The engine scripts are tiny and 100% proprietary. Aside from cooling, they are pretty easy to understand.

However, Max Speed, Max Reverse Speed, Shift Up RPM, Shift Down RPM and Horsepower are special. They replace the "default" values in the vehicle script like the one I posted.

Unfortunately, those five are basically the only values that can be replaced because Candles hasn't learned mindreading yet. If a particular engine would allow you to replace all of the values in the vehicle script, then we could so some pretty radical shit.

With the current engines, you can just fuck around with cooling and mess with horsepower. That's certainly powerful, but it's only good for a handful of engines, maybe like 10 max?

If you have an idea and icon art, then make a thread in Suggestions.

19. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

What I was explaining in that conversation was about the engine scripts directly. Most people give exactly two shits about the engines. The first shit is for max speed and the second is for cooling, and even then, the first shit is much bigger than the second shit.

The problem with fucking with torque/horsepower is that if you make an engine with low torque, it'll quickly lose the ability to go a number of places. Take for example, the slopes on Arid in the north. There's not nearly enough room to ramp up speed to go up the slopes because they're too long and too steep. From a *purely* physics standpoint, a given velocity can only go up a certain height. The more torque you have, the further you can go up, but if your torque can't beat gravity for a given angle, there's only so high it can go. Low torque engines aren't fun, they're frustrating and irritating. If I was playing Empires and my comm gave me a low-torque engine, I'd tell him to fuck off and give me an engine that I can actually do shit with.

There are loads of values we can fuck around with, no problem, but I'm arguing that fucking with them won't give any meaningful benefit to the game, either in terms of diversity or gameplay.

Here's literally every single value from the vehicles.h file relevant to vehicle properties. The extent of documentation of what any of these do is on the same line the value is on. I can throw in the ability to change any of these in the script parsers, but I can't say if they'll even actually do anything.

Code:
    struct vehicle_controlparams_t
    {
    	float	throttle;
    	float	steering;
    	float	brake;
    	float	boost;
    	bool	handbrake;
    	bool	handbrakeLeft;
    	bool	handbrakeRight;
    	bool	brakepedal;
    	bool	bHasBrakePedal;
    	bool	bAnalogSteering;
    };

struct vehicle_operatingparams_t
    {
    	DECLARE_SIMPLE_DATADESC();

float	speed;
    	float	engineRPM;
    	int		gear;
    	float	boostDelay;
    	int		boostTimeLeft;
    	float	skidSpeed;
    	int		skidMaterial;
    	float	steeringAngle;
    	int		wheelsNotInContact;
    	int		wheelsInContact;
    	bool	isTorqueBoosting;
    };

// parameters for the body object control of the vehicle
    struct vehicle_bodyparams_t
    {

Vector		massCenterOverride;		// leave at vec3_origin for no override
    	float		massOverride;			// leave at 0 for no override
    	float		addGravity;				// keeps car down
    	float		tiltForce;				// keeps car down when not on flat ground
    	float		tiltForceHeight;		// where the tilt force pulls relative to center of mass
    	float		counterTorqueFactor;
    	float		keepUprightTorque;
    	float		maxAngularVelocity;		// clamp the car angular velocity separately from other objects to keep stable
    };

// wheel objects are created by vphysics, these are the parameters for those objects
    // NOTE: They are paired, so only one set of parameters is necessary per axle
    struct vehicle_wheelparams_t
    {

float		radius;
    	float		mass;
    	float		inertia;
    	float		damping;		// usually 0
    	float		rotdamping;		// usually 0
    	float		frictionScale;	// 1.5 front, 1.8 rear
    	int			materialIndex;
    	int			brakeMaterialIndex;
    	int			skidMaterialIndex;
    	float		springAdditionalLength;	// 0 means the spring is at it's rest length
    };

struct vehicle_suspensionparams_t
    {

float		springConstant;
    	float		springDamping;
    	float		stabilizerConstant;
    	float		springDampingCompression;
    	float		maxBodyForce;
    };

// NOTE: both raytrace and wheel data here because jetski uses both.
    struct vehicle_axleparams_t
    {

Vector						offset;					// center of this axle in vehicle object space
    	Vector						wheelOffset;			// offset to wheel (assume other wheel is symmetric at -wheelOffset) from axle center
    	Vector						raytraceCenterOffset;	// offset to center of axle for the raytrace data.
    	Vector						raytraceOffset;			// offset to raytrace for non-wheel (some wheeled) vehicles
    	vehicle_wheelparams_t		wheels;
    	vehicle_suspensionparams_t	suspension;
    	float						torqueFactor;		// normalized to 1 across all axles 
    													// e.g. 0,1 for rear wheel drive - 0.5,0.5 for 4 wheel drive
    	float						brakeFactor;		// normalized to 1 across all axles
    };

struct vehicle_steeringparams_t
    {

float		degreesSlow;			// angle in degrees of steering at slow speed
    	float		degreesFast;			// angle in degrees of steering at fast speed
    	float		degreesBoost;			// angle in degrees of steering at fast speed
    	float		steeringRateSlow;		// this is the speed the wheels are steered when the vehicle is slow
    	float		steeringRateFast;		// this is the speed the wheels are steered when the vehicle is "fast"
    	float		steeringRestRateSlow;	// this is the speed at which the wheels move toward their resting state (straight ahead) at slow speed
    	float		steeringRestRateFast;	// this is the speed at which the wheels move toward their resting state (straight ahead) at fast speed
    	float		speedSlow;				// this is the max speed of "slow"
    	float		speedFast;				// this is the min speed of "fast"
    	float		turnThrottleReduceSlow;		// this is the amount of throttle reduction to apply at the maximum steering angle
    	float		turnThrottleReduceFast;		// this is the amount of throttle reduction to apply at the maximum steering angle
    	float		brakeSteeringRateFactor;	// this scales the steering rate when the brake/handbrake is down
    	float		throttleSteeringRestRateFactor;	// this scales the steering rest rate when the throttle is down
    	float		powerSlideAccel;		// scale of speed to acceleration
    	float		boostSteeringRestRateFactor;	// this scales the steering rest rate when boosting
    	float		boostSteeringRateFactor;	// this scales the steering rest rate when boosting
    	float		steeringExponent;		// this makes the steering response non-linear.  The steering function is linear, then raised to this power

bool		isSkidAllowed;			// true/false skid flag
    	bool		dustCloud;				// flag for creating a dustcloud behind vehicle
    };

struct vehicle_engineparams_t
    {

float		horsepower;
    	float		maxSpeed;
    	float		maxRevSpeed;
    	float		maxRPM;					// redline RPM limit
    	float		axleRatio;				// ratio of engine rev to axle rev
    	float		throttleTime;			// time to reach full throttle in seconds

// transmission
    	int			gearCount;				// gear count - max 10
    	float		gearRatio[VEHICLE_MAX_GEAR_COUNT];	// ratio for each gear

// automatic transmission (simple auto-shifter - switches at fixed RPM limits)
    	float		shiftUpRPM;				// max RPMs to switch to a higher gear
    	float		shiftDownRPM;			// min RPMs to switch to a lower gear
    	float		boostForce;
    	float		boostDuration;
    	float		boostDelay;
    	float		boostMaxSpeed;
    	float		autobrakeSpeedGain;
    	float		autobrakeSpeedFactor;
    	bool		torqueBoost;
    	bool		isAutoTransmission;		// true for auto, false for manual
    };

struct vehicleparams_t
    {

int							axleCount;
    	int							wheelsPerAxle;
    	vehicle_bodyparams_t		body;
    	vehicle_axleparams_t		axles[VEHICLE_MAX_AXLE_COUNT];
    	vehicle_engineparams_t		engine;
    	vehicle_steeringparams_t	steering;
    };

20. Lazybum

Honestly I don't think anyone should make it so different engines change how the tank actually handles. It would make stuff even harder for people, there is quite a few people who have trouble with 3phase and spinning out for instance, this kinda stuff would make it even worse. Most of what candles posted is basic handling stuff, so there doesn't seem like there is much that would make for a worthwhile change.

I think you can make different engines worthwhile in a way with just what is in the engine scripts. Candles is right though, speed and cooling are people's main concerns. You can extend it though by changing some of the other parameters to compliment what the engine is trying to achieve, or use it to help balance some extreme property it has, like 3phase and its stalling problems.