Slower heavies make for a better game

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Lazybum, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Reading several threads and I have come to some thoughts on what heavies should be, yet currently have problems with.

First off they are considered by many something to bring on the extra firepower, something to really break through fortified positions. This is the main purpose for them.

So they feel like an entire upgrade from mediums they also have more armor, I suppose so they can deliver that weapon payload and not blow up.

Yet, they are also rather fast. A 3phase heavy can easily keep up with a commander and doesn't have too much trouble chasing an apc. Which I think is a problem. One that if remedied can fix several issues people have with current late game combat.

By making them slower they wouldn't be able to run away from a fight at a drop of a hat. It would mean that combat would be terminal in most cases, no more of heavies seemingly able to soak up 10 times the damage of a medium, even though it is only has 2 extra plates.

They couldn't really be used for chasing either, which would mean mediums and lights would see more use, a good thing considered by many. Heavy tanks would be primarily used to lay siege on a enemy base while the lighter tanks would be used for moving around the map and engaging in open fights. The lighter stuff being cheaper would also mean more tank fights in general, which is a good thing at those tiers.

So what do you think? Would a simple speed change be enough to change late game into something more fun or would heavies need more balance changes to make stuff viable?

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I'd love proper behemoth tanks instead of tanks upgrade level 3. Because that is what they are, the only drawback compared to meds and lights is price in resources.

3. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Just throwing my opinion in here once again: I'd also like to see slower turning turrets in general.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

You know full well that can't be done without a total rework of how turrets track.

As for slower heavies, it's a possibility, but too slow and it'll just be silly. I'm looking forward to the point at which the commander can limit the amount of specific chassis on the field. Then we can make heavies much more expensive, much more powerful and allow the commander to control the production of them individually.

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Not silly, just vulnerable to more agile units. The point is to not allow massing one unit to win it all.

6. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

No I don't in fact, since I haven't had a look in the code yet.

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

you dont have to look at code - turret speed is coupled to mouse speed. up sensitivity, turn faster. if you want slower turrets you need to decouple view from aim - or its rather shitty.

8. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

That I know. What I meant is, that I just don't know how much work it would be.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I have an idea, and I think it's a good one...

What happens if we tune engines so that on heavy tanks it highly customises the tank. For instance, we make fast engines really heavy, slow engines lighter and mid-range engines at a middling weight.

It's a pain in the neck to balance, but the idea behind this would be you could get a faster, more dangerous tank that'd come at the expense of loadout. You'd have to compromise your armour or weapon loadout in order to take advantage of the speed. OR you'd have a behemoth that would run pretty slow but pack a megaton punch.

If we make the engines heavy, I think this would be possible. I think it's fine to say that the engine is heavier in a heavy tank than a medium without extra explanation, too.

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Doing that in general isn't actually a bad idea Ikalx, it doesn't really have to be Heavy specific. I'm certainly not averse to ramping the weight of 3phase up either way, as well as lowering the speed a fraction.

As Flasche said, it's fairly obvious how it works at the moment. Anything different to that is going to be a new system. It's done in literally the most simple way possible currently.

I did have a system in my head whereby you'd have a circle in your screen. Moving the mouse about in that circle didn't move the turret (much), but allowed finer aiming up and down. Once you move it outside the circle, you don't have to move the mouse any further, it just moves at a set rate wherever you put the mouse.

Obviously limiting turret turn rate would be a good thing to have, but it's not something we can really do without an entirely new system. The last thing we want is people lifting their mouse up and dragging it repeatedly to turn the turret.

11. flasche

youll also need 2 cursors, desired aim and actual aim - this finetuning thing, just without a smooth falloff rather then a steep increase in turn rate, would be normal mouse acceleration.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  12. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I said something awhile ago regarding tank speeds and armor.

13. Lazybum

I don't know, I was just trying to find a solution with currently available resources. Changing how fast heavies move is easy because each chassis class has different engine scripts. I think a lot of values aren't played with though for a similar reason that smgs are the same across factions. It is easier to know what to expect. I'm talking about how cooling is the same for all vehicles.

I had an extra thought here on armor limiting speeds too, but I can't remember where i was going with it. I'll just say instead that it would just add an extra facet to armor balance and that wouldn't be a bad thing, just some may wonder if it is worth the effort.

14. Neoony

Neoony Member

Iam always thinking that making things more characteristic/specific will hurt the unorganised public games a lot. But would be very nice in organised games where it would bring a lot more strategic choices. Even though personally I would love to have things more like that, but I also think it could make games more difficult (especially public games). And considering the current ammounts of organisation in games, Iam just not sure what would it bring.

And because of this, Iam always not sure what to think. xD
    Also because of my following point..

I always liked when tanks were more rare. So that you have a lots of infantry fighting while having few tanks. I liked it much more than the current "everybody gets a tank" style, also because currently it makes the tanks less special and simply having less impact on the game while also making fights less dynamic, more one sided (meaning, why go infantry when there is 10 heavy tanks fighting each other, everybody goes heavy, because they can and because you are pretty much useless as infantry).

This is one of the reasons why I love crossroads, because its much more infantry based map while still having few tanks generally.

A tank with infantry support can equal few tanks with no infantry support, while keeping its dynamics. Especially when this would be the case on both sides.

We pretty much had this some versions back when tanks/vehicles were very limited by the current res ammount and also by the vehicle limit. It even made resources and refineries much more valuable than now and to add to that even research got changed into only time dependant and I think that both cut a bit of spirit from empires, making things more one sided/less dynamic. (maybe a bit more public friendly/universal)

Making tanks less rare was a very big change in the empires gameplay, atleast for me.

Some time ago, tanks were an addition to the fight. Today the tanks/techs take over the whole game.

And why we no longer have rare vehicles?....
    Because idiots camped the vf all the time. Is there any other reason?

There are so many changes based just on how the community/players behave/act.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  15. Lazybum

Heavy tanks feel like that to me, I don't know what to really do as infantry when they show up. It always ends up being a game of hiding til the tank driver gets frustrated enough that he hops out so I can shoot them. I don't think it is a problem at all with lights and apcs, mediums however really kinda depend on the map I feel.

I was hoping though that by making heavy tanks slower and thus more vulnerable there would be less of them in general. Kinda like arty that you can bring to the frontlines if that makes any sense. Everyone agrees that lights are the most fun, with mediums not being too far behind. It just turns into a slugfest when heavy tanks get introduced. They are kinda necessary, some bases are really hard to take down without that extra firepower.

Then again, people don't have a problem taking bases down early game, so I guess it is more of a case that tanks in general are why it gets harder and harder to take bases with just infantry or lighter tanks.

Oh, as to more reasons for more tanks I honestly think some people have a lot of fun with them, it also means new players can try them out occasionally without bankrupting the team like when they were more rare.

Still, I'm with you, I prefer the infantry game and kinda don't like it when it gets to the point where everyone is in a tank. Canyon and crossroads remain my favorite maps because of that, for similar reasons you mentioned.

16. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Allow tanks to use one OR two slot engines? Ingenious!
    1 Slot engines = half the speed/HP/Weight

17. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

That'd be nice, but a large maxspeed variance in a given chassis it very difficult to maintain handling across the entire spectrum because every engine has to use the same vehicle mass & transmission.

I think it's pretty clear that a "slow heavy" might be fun to try out.

But how do you transition from the current game to a game with slow heavies?

And just to define what that means to me - a slow heavy is basically arty that can fight on the front lines.

That's very different from the current heavy's purpose. These two vehicles will look identical to players. They likely will have the same name.

My nightmare would be having tons of players thinking that they are building main battle tanks when they are actually building something closer to arty.

We already bitch when everyone buys arty. This issue will certainly be more common.

One transition experiment might be to temporarily remove heavies. This sounds extreme, but if slow heavies work, then vehicle dynamics have to be able to work well without them since they will be rare.

18. Lazybum

But they do work well without heavies, for quite a few games heavies are a means to make a comeback or people simply expect heavies to end the game so people just kinda wait, basically trying not to lose as much map control as possible while the research for heavies finish. Let's be honest here, most of the time people start research on heavies right after meds, so there is only about 6 minutes where there is only meds on the field.

I'll make another point about how games currently play out with regards to heavies. People in heavy tanks ease on up to the frontlines and start firing away at whatever. They almost sit in the same spot for the duration, anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes. They move back and forth to avoid some damage, but they are in relatively the same place. When do they actually need the speed? To get away from a fight to repair. What this means if you made heavy tanks slow they really don't change too much, they dish out a whole lotta damage and can take a beating. They just would need to get out of the fight a bit sooner then currently when they have no armor plates on 1 side. And again, heavy tanks wouldn't be able to chase so you'd see more medium tanks running around.

Thinking a little more about what you say. Vets would quickly adapt to it, it wouldn't be a problem for them really. It is just new players that would have some trouble. The thing is they will quickly realize how much slower they go then meds, so they won't just run right into the enemy (I would hope so anyway). Even then it can take more of a beating.I'm going about that wrong, new people would die just as fast if their tank was slow or fast, simply because they never know when to run and when to not rush into a fight. So it wouldn't really change anything on that front.

19. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Just have a look at how World of Tanks does it. It is basically two cursors. One moves with just the speed as it does now and always stays in the center of your screen. It allows you to look around just like in every other FPS or 3rd Person Shooter. The second is the current aim indicator for the turret, which is affected by the turret speed and tries to follow the real cursor as fast as it can.

I'm not saying that someone should go and implement it right away. But if we want to implement such a feature at some point, that's best solution I've seen so far.

20. flasche

yeah its dependent on if you want a deadzone for turret turning like trickster suggested or not - if not then desired aim is simply equal to the center of the screen.