Skylake - let's wait and pray for it together

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by McGyver, Apr 24, 2015.

?

Emma!

Poll closed Jul 10, 2015.
  1. [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/8oIQnY1.jpg[/IMG]

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/OwlKTLF.jpg[/IMG]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/mPARTDl.jpg[/IMG]

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/d92ngxZ.jpg[/IMG]

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Here is finally some testing on overclocking: http://www.computerbase.de/2015-06/intel-core-i7-5775c-test/5/

5775C can do 4.1 Ghz at stock voltages, but that's about it and it was unstable at 4.3 Ghz with 1.35 volt. So that's it, since Broadwell at 4.1 is slower than Haswell at 4.4, there is no reason to get this CPU for a desktop PC.

Also they write that Intel told them that Broadwell CPUs are NOT targeted towards overclocking and nothing more than 4.2 ghz should be expected.

2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

It took them 1.2v to get to 4.1GHz. Stock voltage for that chip appears to be around 1.0v. It's all in the screenshots if I'm interpreting them correctly.

Maybe the voltage was set to some kind of "auto" setting. If so, then the auto voltage was probably higher than it needed to be. Maybe those kinds of settings have improved in the past few years, but I always thought that auto voltage settings were unnecessarily conservative.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. McGyver

The first screenshot is when they undervolted. Learn2deutsch.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

There's no way in hell 1.2v is stock for a 14nm chip. How are they even doing that?

[​IMG]

I thought ~1.1v was roughly the stock load core voltage for most 22nm desktop CPUs. There's no way in hell that they are moving backwards with 14nm.

[​IMG]

5. McGyver

6. McGyver

A little over two weeks to go for the release, are you excited children? I am.

Just look at this nice overclock:

[​IMG]

7. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

From FanlessTech: "EXCLUSIVE: The Skylake boost."

Skylake improvements compared to Broadwell:
    • Y-series: up to 17% faster CPU, up to 41% faster GPU, up to 1.4 hours more battery life
    • U-series: up to 10% faster CPU, up to 34% faster GPU, up to 1.4 hours more battery life
    • H-series: up to 11% faster CPU, up to 16% faster GPU, up to 80% lower silicon power usage
    • S-series: up to 11% faster CPU, up to 28% faster GPU, TDP decrease from 84 W to 65 W

8. McGyver

Yeah we will see how this works out, the desktop chips would be the S series and they get plus 10% over Broadwell, which would mean +15% over Haswell. I can't be that optimistic anymore.

But I will get an unlocked chip no matter what on the 5th of august. The only question is i5 or i7, paying 120€ more for hyper-threading does not seem worth it.

Stay here iMac, stay in this thread forever, you won't leave me too like Spartacus, will you?

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Honestly I'm quite surprised iMac is still here. I do appreciate the tech news though, even if most of the time I am too lazy to analyze it correctly.

10. McGyver

11. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Sounds like I'll be investing in my storage and GPU this month (or perhaps I should stockpile?)

12. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

I will get an i5 6600k once I know that I can get a proper z170 board without weird gamer shit on them. I just want a board with not too many phases, intel LAN, Realtek audio, 1x PCIe 3.0 16x, 2x PCIe 4x and normal sata or sas ports. Only saw gimmiky gaming shit get announced so far. I want reliable shits.

13. McGyver

So no hyperthreading for you mate? I see, I see. What DDR4 RAM will you get, just the cheapest that is available? ASUS will sell a standard Z170-A board soon, that should fit for you.

14. w00kie

Kingston HyperX Fury DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-2133, CL14-14-14 (HX421C14FBK2/16)

Asrock has their first 4 boards listed on geizhals since yesterday, but I hate Asrock (and XFX and GALAX and ...) but those give not quite the choices I want. It at least gives a hint where prices will be.

I assume the 6700k will be around 410 EUR, so the 6600k should be ~ 320 EUR. Still complete guesswork, looking at the horrendous pricing for high end Haswell-refresh CPUs in germany.

15. McGyver

Wait wait, 200€ for the motherboard and 400€ for the chip? That better not be true, I'm expecting same prices as for the 4790K. (100€ + ~320€) But I love how cheap DDR4 finally got, gonna make the jump from DDR2 straight to DDR4. Not going for something fancy probably, since there shouldn't be any notable performance difference.

For general education:
    http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-performance-speed-latency

16. w00kie

Intel CPU prices are heavily tied to the exchange rate and importers deals for bulk amounts (10 thousand CPUs vs 200 thousand CPUs).

Have a look how pricing for the 4790k went so far:
    http://geizhals.de/?phist=1119923&age=9999

Concerning RAM, I just want proper throughput. So a slightly lower CL and slightly higher bandwidth should be fine. Those sticks with insane OC bandwith are generally shit and overpriced. There was some in dept article on Toms Hardware a while back (cba to search it now).

EDIT: the former listed Asrock boards are now gone from the site and the dealers :rolleyes:

EDIT2: Other people are also guessing prices. 375 EUR for the 6700k and 261 EUR for the 6600k could be reality.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  17. McGyver

Yeah, that's the reason I didn't buy a Haswell chip, can't be bothered to pay more for an even older technology. But I have seen new 4790Ks for 300€ at eBay, if it's 375€ vs 300 only to get 5% more performance and some energy savings then I don't see the point in Skylake.

18. McGyver

Dat design:

[​IMG]

Comes without cooler:

[​IMG]

19. McGyver

20. w00kie

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015