Skylake - let's wait and pray for it together

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by McGyver, Apr 24, 2015.

?

Emma!

Poll closed Jul 10, 2015.
  1. [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/8oIQnY1.jpg[/IMG]

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/OwlKTLF.jpg[/IMG]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/mPARTDl.jpg[/IMG]

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/d92ngxZ.jpg[/IMG]

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

According to Noctua mounting for 1151 board is the same as for the 1150 boards, so maybe you don't even need an adapter. Of course, my Noctua NH-U12S works for 1151 as good as it did for 775.

Your wishlist doesn't work btw.

2. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

It's a Rev.A Megahalems that was designed for socket 775 only, there is a special upgrade kit for 1156. The Backplate and mounting brackets change completely.

Fixed the wishlist link. I currently have all CPUs in there to find all deals when they become available. The embargo for CPUs and boards still stands until 05.08.15 so anything that shows up before the date will be scummy.

On another note: I'm not sure if I fucked up my free upgrade to windows 10, reserving on old hardware and changing it before upgrade. I have a genuine German System Builder license.

Update: You can now order those Asrock boards from a Poland based site that looks like this.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  3. McGyver

4. w00kie

wow, even though the translation is pretty shit, that is one of the best reviews of a piece of hardware I've seen in years. He/She even compares the weird outcome of those benchmarks to the changes from Yorkfield to Nehalem back in the day.

I don't understand the conclusion though: "nothing that you're not scrambling at the same time." ?

5. McGyver

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

will we really need top end cpus now that dx12 isnt this far away anymore?

7. McGyver

Nah it seems we won't need much performance anymore and Intel has delivered the right product:

OMG! I WAITED YEARS FOR THIS?!!!!?!?!?!

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Translate from techtalk please?

9. McGyver

According to Anandtech the new CPUs from Intel are actually slower than their old ones, when used for gaming with a graphics card. I sure hope they got some wrong measurements here.

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Okay, I understood correctly.

Who isthe target audience then? Graphic designers?

11. w00kie

I have ordered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fuck shitty reviewers with shitty reviews.

Upgrading from 2008 to 2015: -588,43 EUR

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  12. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I made sure to come here after reading that paragraph, hoping you had also read it. I'm a sick person like that.

The overclocking situation isn't much better since devil's canyon can reach more or less the same clock speeds as skylake. If there's no ipc improvement in gaming, then skylake won't perform any better at the same clock speed.

This is just too perfect.

13. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

so... gamers gana be mad and not buy this but, everyone else is gana be "meh". However, gamers are the primary target are they not?

14. McGyver

Hello Spartacus, back from hunting lions in Africa? I heard that's popular in 'murica right now.

Anyways, luckily not every site is as terrible in reviewing gaming performance as is Anandtech. I hoped you had heard of a thing called GPU limitation before, but alas there seems to be another blind spot in your tech knowledge.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...intel-i7-6700k-review-skylake-arrives-10.html
    Here we see some 5-10% improvements in gaming over Haswell and that is with 200 mhz lower clocks.

Also there seem to be some changes made in the L2 and L3 caches in Skylake that make the chip perform considerably better with higher bandwidth memory, but nobody knows for sure until Intel lets out the details of their new architecture.

Overclocking seems to be going 100-200 mhz higher on average than with Devils Canyon, another welcome performance boost for us patient people.
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37609860&postcount=2871

As you can see Skylake has some good arguments on its side. It is of course not what I wished and waited for, but still a nice performance bump for basically the same price. Let's not forget all the energy I'm going to save, too!

Good luck on your future journeys.

PS.: I could not help but notice that the positive effect this forum and its paedagogical interventions (i.e. bans) had on your character, is waning. It would be a shame if all those lessons we provided were all for nothing.

15. McGyver

Yeah, those Skylake K chips are targeted for gamers, but maybe Intel marketing thinks a colorful box is all they need to do. Altough Skylake OCed to 4.8 ghz is pretty nice.

16. flasche

its probably really awesome in CIV on gigantic maps with 17 AIs, but other then that?

17. w00kie

I bought it mainly because my performance in unity is shit. I play rust, cities skylines and space enginneers when it's not busy hanging.Btw. some ducks on Reddit mentioned that anandtech is the only source benching on win 8.1 . I let sthat stand uncommented. fuck phone browseti.

18. flasche

what you do with unity?

19. w00kie

I play games that run on unity.
    Cities Skylines has heavy performance degradation when I reach 67 thousand Cims on my old CPU and the simulation runs slower and slower. People on newer CPUs can get much closer to the engine limit of one million cims.

Rust has performance degradation for me when I join servers that are close to the max entity limit and general low FPS.

And Space engineers just eats itself when I start mining with more than 20 grinders at the same time.

20. McGyver

There are still a lot of games that eat every CPU cycle they can get, basically most multiplayer games. I want it for Guild Wars, GTA V and Star Citizen mostly. And to be able to watch YouTube in 4k of course.