Silk can't map, or test maps, or post, help him! :P

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Silk

Silk Mapper

Ok i have some sort of water glitch in all my maps.

The problem is that when i'm under water and move around, there's some sort of always changing graphical glitch. The water around the glitch is rendered correctly, however the water in the center of it is not drawn, so you can see the environment outside the water as if there was only air between you and the environement.

Some screenshots:
    http://users.telenet.be/samhannes/mapping/emp_vehicletraining_rc4/water glitch/
    http://users.telenet.be/samhannes/mapping/emp_frost/Final problems to overcome/Water glitches/

I have this problem in every pool, every river and every lake, in at least 2 different maps. I use 3 different types of water, all of them look good from above, but all have this problem. I have entities like the water_lod_control, and i have cubemaps. One map has hdr, the other hasn't, and the cubemaps have been build correctly in both maps. I have tried water with no brushes at the edge of the water, i've tried water with nodraw brushes placed around the water brush, and i've used textured brushes as well. The water is a nodraw brush with only the top face textured with the water brush. I have no leaks. The problem occured about 1 to 3 months ago, and has been a problem ever since in every map.

2. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I think it's one of VALVe's updates that broke the compile tools, i have similar issues in the league map, only with draw distance not working correctly.

3. Silk

Silk Mapper

Way to go valve !

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Are you running full vis? I know water is tetchy when it comes to things like that.

5. Silk

Silk Mapper

Wow, it's been a year since i've needed help. Well done me.

Anyway, i'm making a material that should resemble ice.
    The material acts weird in hammer, but ingame it has the desired result. But there seems to be something wrong since the material browser displays a red exclamation mark under it in hammer. The only thing that confims there's a fault is the weird behavior in hammer (sometimes it's dark, sometimes white) and that it is not slippery ingame eventhough the surfaceprop has been set to ice (like i used on the bridge in frost).

Everything else works, except that it isn't slippery and that the browser display an exclamation mark.

Any idea what's wrong with it?