Silk can't map, or test maps, or post, help him! :P

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Caelo

Caelo Member

that was what I was aobut to suggest :D
    maybe make it look "old", like making it look like porous concrete that has crumbled off a bit on the edges showing the iron bars within the "structure"

2. Silk

Silk Mapper

Is there a way to activate something when a group of turrets is destroyed? For example if all 10 turrets in an area get destroyed, a door should open. The buildable walls entity had all the necessary outputs (ondestroyed, onbuild), but i can't figure out how to do this.
    I'm also searching for a way to enable turrets. If one group lvl1 turrets gets destroyed, i want a group of lvl2 turrets to be placed instead.
    I'm almost sure it isn't possible, but i've seen some of you guys alter the fgd and add extra key (values), so obviously you know more than i do.

3. KILLX

KILLX Banned

question: will i need to upgrade my PC to handle this gorgeous and MASSIVE map?

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Should be possible. The relevant wiki page is here. You want the 'OnKill' output for the turret entities (I haven't tested if these are compatible, but I would assume it is). Then you set up a math_counter and a logic_compare. Every time a turret dies, it adds one to the counter, and triggers the compare. If the value is less than the hard-coded compare value (10) then it does nothing. If it's equal (all 10 are dead) then you trigger an env_entity_maker to spawn the next lot of turrets (represented as point_templates).

EDIT: The article on respawning things is here. You should find that useful.

5. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The OnKill output works on vehicle factories, so i assume it works on all new buildings, to trigger their death effects.

6. Silk

Silk Mapper

Thx a lot, i'll be trying it this weekend.

7. Caelo

Caelo Member

make sure you never ever make the turrets auto-respawn cause that would really really screw up the numbers..

8. Silk

Silk Mapper

I'm having no succes with the OnKill output. I've tried it with turrets and a vf, but nothing works. When added to the fgd, the output does get selectable, but it doesn't seem to trigger anything.
    I've tried to spawn an entity with output OnKill, i've tried to open a door, and i've tried to set an emp_eng_map_brush entity to 'disableInput'. Nothing worked.
    I placed a second map_brush entity with output 'Onkill - map_brush1 - disableInput', which works perfectly.
    You've managed to make the OnKill output work on vf's Solokiller?

9. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

It only seems to work in V1.08, my respawning vf doesn't works in V1.07.

10. Silk

Silk Mapper

Great, another reason to wait for the release. The vehicletraining map is on hold because i can't test hdr, and this map (turrettraining) is on hold because ... well i can't do anything yet apparantly.

Guess i'll get back to emp_volcano, although i wanted to wait for 1.08 or an updated sdk to continue. Meh, stuff enough to work on.

11. Silk

Silk Mapper

Ok, new question ...

I have added 4 resource points. The problem is i can only build a refinery on one of them. The other 3 should work as well, since i've used the same, flat concrete brush on the ground. When you put a refinery over it, the model does move towards the res point and turns green, yet i can't place it. This is still 1.071 btw. Anyone know why?

12. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

At a guess, have you given all the points different names?

13. Silk

Silk Mapper

You are fantastic :D

I didn't even realise it was necessary (none of them even have a name), i think i'm gonna add this to the wiki, as a note.
    Wait a minute, this means i have always build the first ref on the same spot, for 3 weeks. If i would've just joined Brenodi first for once, i would've noticed the problem. I can't believe it.

14. KILLX

KILLX Banned

topic title: " Silk can't map or test maps, help him! :P"

15. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

An additional note, if you have the refinery entity directly ON a solid (not displacement) surface, you can't place the refinery on it

16. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

In that case, try making the brush an entity, like func_wall.

17. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Or move the point up a little.

18. Silk

Silk Mapper

Nice tip. I'm gonna write that down somewhere.

All the points work btw, so thx.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  19. Silk

Silk Mapper

Ok, does anyone here know someone who makes textures and would want to help me? I'm currenty looking for 3 textures: 1 ice and 1 snow image, and a blend texture with those 2 images as well. If possible the ice should be pretty slippery, however the snow only a very tiny bit.

The snow will be used on flat surfaces (horizontal), and the ice texture on vertical sides like cliffs etc. I think the ice would have to be fairly reflective, the snow however certainly not.

I tried making textures myself, but they all suck. If i put them next to eachother it's very obvious were the images start and end, and for this map it's really necessary that they can be placed a hundred times next to eachother without noticing it too much.

Anyone knows someone who could help me, or someone willing to do it themselves?

20. arklansman

arklansman Member