Silk can't map, or test maps, or post, help him! :P

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

It could work with some tweaking and hacking, but it'd be very experimental. My initial idea would be to place invisible pressure-sensitive breakables (irregularly shaped) all over the top, then let the tanks fall through but the infantry walk on over. I think you can set a breakable to break on pressure only (i.e. you cannot shoot it out). In order to avoid the square edges you would need to cover the entire area in a single pane.

2. nhammen

nhammen Member

Yeah, i would just use func_breakables, with whatever the value is for pressure (I have never used it, but I have looked at it). You could also make it so that the ice comes back after a time...

3. Silk

Silk Mapper

I'll try.

Also i've noticed that no matter what health or fragility i use, it always breaks from even 1 pistol shot. And i've given it like 8000 health.

Care to explain just a little more about this? I can see the flag that will make it break on pressure only, and i've walked over it no problem, but once someone falls through somewhere, the entire surface breaks. So i suppose that's what you're talking about, having it not break everywhere at once?

4. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

That's another limitation of the entity. In half-life 2, it's solid until shot by anything, even with the gravity gun it'll become fragile.

5. Silk

Silk Mapper

I think i'll be trying this tutorial:
    http://www.type3studios.com/SdkNutsTutorials/Water4_wiseBreakableIce.php
    Apart from making it look dark that is, since the ice will only be very thin.
    And i'm looking for an ice breaking sound or something. Well actually i'm looking for 2 sounds, 1 that sounds like ice breaking, but without it actually breaking, and than a sound to be used when the ice actually breaks down and falls in the water.

Seriously should this work it would be so awesome !

Also at the moment i've changed the lightmapscale to 64 everywhere just to see the difference. Filesize went down 12 MB, and i'm now trying to add normal maps again.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  6. Caelo

Caelo Member

just rip some sounds from ice age :P
    Oh and I see you didnt know about the lightmapscales? Be sure to set them to 8 or so in places where shadows are important though!

7. Silk

Silk Mapper

I knew puting them higher would make shadows less nice and reduce filesize, but i already increased it from 16 to 32, so i assumed making it even higher would make everything ugly.

The main problem is that i used subdivide on the ENTIRE map (ice obstacles, constructions and the bridge not offcourse), so everything is rounded. When i have one surface set to 64 and the other to 32 it's already noticable since the edge between two surfaces is right in the middle of a ... euhm ... a smoothed edge? Should i use 128 and 16 for example it would suck big time.

8. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

you only need to set it to 16 for the final compile... for your betas just leave it at 256 or something shoddy

9. Silk

Silk Mapper

If i put it to 16 i have a filesize of 94 MB, with the max filesize for a map being 60 MB, so that wouldn't be possible.

Compile time is actually not that bad. It's usually compiled in less than 20 minutes (fast vvis and no -final vrad)

10. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

with the ice breaking, although it may take extra room / effort - what about putting several layers over each other, the top one being sturdiest and respawns slowly and another being much weaker but quickly respawns.
    that could see more natural for ice anyway with somewhere once broken being weaker for a while and might be more interesting.

or it could be an over complication that wastes time.

good looking map btw - will it give us snowblindness on the hdr?

11. Silk

Silk Mapper

I don't know, since i don't have a 2.0 server i'm still mapping for 1.071, which doesn't have hdr. So only time will tell.
    Also i'm not sure how much bigger the map would be with hdr. It may even be not possible to add it.

12. arklansman

arklansman Member

You should be able to easily make the lightmaps on some of the surfaces at least 64, and have others on 16. You can do this really easily in areas that are in direct light with no shadows around them at all. Also underwater areas are a good place too. :P

BTW, why must the map be under 60MB?

13. Silk

Silk Mapper

When i want to run the buildcubemap command on a map above 60 MB, it just exits the server, empires, and back to my desktop, without having changed the bsp.

14. Silk

Silk Mapper

ok, why doesn't this work: "$basetexturetransform" "center .5 .5 scale 2 2 rotate 0 translate 0 0"
    I can set to scale to 4, but it doesn't do a f*cking thing.

I'm currently using:
    This seems to make both of the blend textures scale at about 0.20.
    So instead of having one at scale 1, and one at scale 10, i have 2 at scale 0.2 (more or less).

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  15. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I don't think those scale values work yet (blame Valve).

16. Silk

Silk Mapper

2 new questions:

- The comm_restrict entity doesn't seem to be working for walls. It prevents the comm from building anything, except walls. Is this just a bug?

- I can't place turrets on buildable brushes, since the brushes aren't there at mapstart. How can i make it so people can place turrets on buildable walls, AFTER they've been build? Is there a way for the turrets to get destroyed if the wall beneath them gets destroyed or will they just float?

17. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

You can't place turrets on buildable brushes, no matter what you try. I would suggest using a func_brush that is toggled with the buildable brush, which is actually invisible and perhaps 1 unit larger. I don't know if it will work.

18. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Yup, this should work. Getting the buildings to die (to stop them from floating) is the trickiest part. Best you can do is mess with the filters on a trigger_hurt and see if you can just get it to just kill off the buildings.

19. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

I've found it hard to kill buildings with trigger hurt, env_explosion worked though when I managed to trigger it properly.

I had a 10,000 damage explosion with 150 radius, something like that may be worth a shot

20. Silk

Silk Mapper

Bitchslap told me there is a way to prevent the commander from placing walls in certain locations. Anyone know how?

I use the info_params to prevent engineers to build walls, and i use the comm_restrict to prevent the comm from placing buildings and turrets. Nothing else seems to prevent someone from placing models, so i can't think of a way to prevent the comm from placing walls.

Edit:
    Nvm, apparantly you have to use the engineer restrict entity instead of the commander restrict entity to restrict the commander from placing walls.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007