Should we try to log what the most popular research routes are?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Acolyte, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I don't include ninja's or apc rushes, they really are kinda poop. Most of the time they are both low risk high reward which is crap.

I think there is such a thing as tactics beyond alpha north bravo east. It depends on team composition a bit and how willing people are to listen and when it comes to not shooting something as soon as they see it. It certainly works better on the much open maps like mvalley or duststorm, but there's a few opportunities to give your team an advantage.

You are right, it probably isn't perfectly even. It's as close as it's ever gonna get though so it works as an example here when it comes to how "needed" higher chassis tiers are for breaking stalemates.

2. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

You mean high risk low reward.

Not shooting something as soon as they see it is called ninjas.
    One useful form, which I've been doing, is wait until enemy walk away from their rax, so you can kill it without much trouble.

The reason why most ninja tactics are retarded is because you have absolutely zero contribution before you succeed.
    If the enemy team is not retarded, your odds are not very strong.
    If the enemy team is retarded, what's the point?

Don't get me wrong, I am not denying tactics.
    Weeks ago I played a game of Canyon, I asked my team to hit one place hard, and then immediately roam to the other side of the map, we successfully broke in.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I use to do that, it really is effective. I wonder why I don't bother anymore...

Anyways, I suppose your right about ninja's being high risk, but I don't think it's exactly low reward. Not when it can instantly end a game or do substantial damage to a base enough your frontline can actually push up and get rid of it.

Some things sure, it doesn't amount to much of anything, but big things even if they fail can give enough breathing room for the rest of the team to do something, assuming of course they can actually take advantage of it and you didn't drag too many people to pull off that crap ninja attempt. So there is still a reward in failure when you go for a big target, which is why ninjas are a really shitty thing.

4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Its way less reward since you cant just 8 mine the cv or the whole base in one go anymore.

5. Ranger

Ranger Member

I don't see how tactics are applied when you get HIT heavies and then rush. It's clearly a matter of synchronization of skills. Perhaps the tactic is "hold the line and have arty to the job" or you can get an economical victory "kill their refs" but when you get nuke heavies everything dies even though they are expensive and can get you run out of resources. Light vehicles are much more fun to play with imo because infantry is highly involved. I believe people should focus more on early game preparation. going directly for meds or heavies to end the game is gay. no offense to gays.

6. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Agreed.

Disagree. Full statistics would be gold for balancing.

7. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I doubt full statistics would help much at all. They tell you what's happening, but balancing requires the why to do anything useful.

8. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Well, they can just be some cool statistics. :cool:

9. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I think its a good idea to log down statistics so when people do research and are making builds, its easier on them to understand what is effective and what isn't.
    And what could use improvement.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  10. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Yup, this. More data is always nice.

11. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Having the data is the first step to form a theory. So yes, I think getting statistics about which team is winning with which research in what time would be very useful.

12. Candles

You don't need statistics to pull that off; you can just play the game. I'd be more inclined to agree if there were more games running at the same time such that it would be impossible to have a person in all of them a majority of the time, but that is not the case for Empires.

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

Yeah but looking at a few pages of info takes less time than spending hours ingame.

14. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

[​IMG]

15. Candles

But you'd have to play the game anyway to understand the why of how things are. Statistics might tell you things like a correlation between going HE and winning, or that Bio makes you lose, but they won't say why that is, unless the person using them would attempt to balance by the seat of their pants.

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

I agree. However, you can't play 24/7. Stats can be collected whenever, while you review them and play the game in your spare time.

17. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Bitch, they won't tell you why unless you collect good data and make sexy models. Don't make me stop this car.

18. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

"Knowing the game by playing it", this sounds like something I said. :cool:
    That's pretty much true but I still receive countless disagreement whenever I say something that's coming out from my countless hours of experience.
    So I guess people don't really appreciate that.

Back on topic, you know Candles, we love you, #nohomo.
    If you are rather busy recently and you really don't want to spend your time on this, just tell us.
    You know that I as well as the sober players here won't/can't blame you.

But if your reason is that you actually don't think this kind of statistics will help you or anyone in any way, then I have to say, you are wrong, like, you are wrong.
    Why wouldn't a dev want to know what players are doing in the game?
    Players can also know what other players are doing in the game, but that's just extra advantage of course.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  19. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Let's just be clear that data collection is a deceptively challenging thing, especially if you're collecting good data.

Yeah, I think candles is full of it, but I can't deny that this is a rather serious undertaking to do properly.

20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I used it a few times, along with 'feeling the balance', but the people who really reject that idea seem to be some of the newer people rather than the old ones. I'm pretty sure it used to be regular parlance back in the day.

To be honest, I think Candles gave the logical and sound reasoning behind that phrase already, but I guess people still don't really understand it.