Should we try to log what the most popular research routes are?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Acolyte, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Exactly, and that's even more annoying.
    I feel it's how "newer players" make people respect their valueless opinions, when they are either shit or inaccurate, or both.

20 hours => 200 hours => 2000 hours => 5000 hours and finally git gud.
    Basically, you really aren't playing the same game at each stage, even though it is the same game.

2. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I'm not full of it and I'm not trying to be an arrogant twit, so my apologies if I'm coming off as an elitist bastard. I'm talking from what I see as a purely realistic standpoint.

I don't think, with Empires at least, you'd be able to collect nearly enough data points in a reasonable amount of time to do anything meaningful past something like "People win more often with HE than ER", and even *that* is pushing it because players in Empires naturally go for the best strategy. You're not going to have anything like randomized controlled trials of HE vs. ER or anything like that because players in Empires will go for HE and you won't have enough opportunities to judge it against ER.

If you compare it to something like DotA II or CS:GO, you have hundreds of thousands of rounds involving millions of combinations of players, weapons (CS:GO) and units (DotA II) from which you can pull a seemingly infinite stream of data from, so much covering such vast discrepancies in player knowledge and experience that you could get something really meaningful out of them. With Empires? You'd be a lot better off playing the game and getting a feel for why things are as they are.

I'm kinda' interested in what kind of model could tell you, for example, that no one gets a particular weapon because it's too heavy or because it's too deep in the research tree.