Should we try to log what the most popular research routes are?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Acolyte, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Acolyte

Acolyte Member

Hey, I've been noticing a particular pattern in most maps with quite a few commanders in research paths. It usually straight compo->Gas engine-> HE/UGL-> mediums.
    1. Is this just me? it seems early/mid game is dominated by this combo
    2. For balancing, do the payers and the Dev's want to try and encourage uses of particular engines/armors/weapons? It just seems that compo as an armor defeats the purpose of that definition of a balance. Being a good all round armor with the only down side being in cost (where in some maps won't matter, or where commanders will research compo anyway because of it's all round quality)
    This is basically a plea to get people to vary up what they research in each part of the game (early/mid/end) and not exactly have typical starting points and check marks in researching.

***note***
    I also realize that each map is different and that the amount of resources and size of the map can affect the research, however, thinking about typical maps, more or less with similar resource income it seems that the same research is being used. (streetsoffire, canyon, slaughtered, booty bay, etc...)

In 2.5~ the typical research path would be 3-phase and compo(?) sometimes bio depending. anyway, my point is i would prefer that there not be any 1 all round good armor or engine with, in many cases minor cons rather there be 3 different basic starting engines or armors (or late game too) that have particular cons that can be manipulated by the enemy. I realize we sort of have that system now, but i think it would make the strategy side of empires more fun if it was a bigger deal. Sort of like rock paper scissors. If a beats b, then get c to beat a.... stuff like that.

So yea, What do you guys think about that? Should there be less varied options in early->mid>end engines and armors? or should there be more defined and unique research? (and keeping records of typical research)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Composite is consistently the most used armour. When I suggested increasing its weight to 12 (absorbabt's weight) Spartacus tried it and everyone hated that their beloved setups were a few plates thinner. It's like the mortar of vehicle armors.

3. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Bio ML HEMG HE Compo medium tank is now the most powerful customization.
    This shit only costs 700 or so.

Compo is not very expensive atm.

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Like I said before, comp is in the worst place for its strength - i.e. most easiest tree that you have to go into anyway. Besides that, it's a bit too much of a catch all imo. I still think buffs shouldn't be built into it, and it should be a plain armour with no perks at all and a large HP to moderately compensate.

That way you just get a strong armour, but no situational resistances or regenerating. Meaning an armour with a soft-counter to the research you're fighting against would probably be better, if you can get it.

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

So basically compo should be reactive?

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Yes, log research paths.

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Without the heaviness or lesser cost, maybe. Doesn't reactive has its own resists though? It used to be useful against certain weapons, and you could always bring that back.

8. Acolyte

Acolyte Member

I still think compo is too strong... i would be on the boat to throw it out all together....or drastically change it's properties

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Compo is currently being researched all the time due to it having regen and reflect properties a lot higher then it should be. I don't know the order of operations in how all the armor properties are dealt, but for the most part you can almost assume compo has generic 25-30% resist to everything due to reflect and speed to damage modifier. It can actually be quite a bit more or a tad less, but it really does average out to something like that. Point is it is nearly griefing if you don't get it, which is why you see it all the time. A couple of fixes, mostly lowering regen and reflect, and it won't see priority all the time.

I giggle a bit at people saying compo is pricey now, it costs the same as any 15 weight armor which is on par for it's health. If anything it should cost quite a bit more, but balancing by cost alone isn't enough as 2.4something showed.

Oh about logging research paths, you would also need to log what map it is, the player count, possibly who's commanding/ who's on the team. All these factors will determine what path is being researched. Logging just the research tree doesn't account for if everyone is constantly playing money and streets, or if player pop is lower then 15 and there isn't anybody playing that knows what to get when. Might result in some info, but I don't think it's worth it when you play a decent amount.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  10. complete_

complete_ lamer

compo needs to be expensive. it was never a problem before and it used to be an armor used for scrims when people knew it wouldnt be wasted.

11. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

All modifications to armor hp are now multiplicative, so there isn't an order of operations anymore. Speed to damage used to be additive, but that was retarded so now it's not. But yeah, compo generally nets a hefty resistance that pushes it into reactive territory.

Stop reminding me of this shit. My heart can't take it.

12. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

yes I been saying it a while now. Log everything that gets researched. What ever gets top 5 in research needs to be looked at to see if they are too OP and need a nerf. (besides the path to paper heavy)

13. Firedrill

Firedrill Member

i always had the most fun with the antithisis builds, try and take the best builds around and poke holes in them for the maps (i,e, fusion bio on a lt)

14. 101010

101010 Member

I know I probably said this before but.. Why not a random block on research.
    So 1st map would block Bio next map would block chem. Have it cycle threw every thing.
    Could even add a vote at the start of maps to decide what research would be blocked.

It would definitely be interesting when it blocked mechanical.

15. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

[​IMG]

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

Oh that's easy. Whichever side has to go do RL stuff first wins due to time attrition.

17. Lazybum

I will never quite understand why people insist that games last forever if it wasn't for heavies, or meds to an extent. Every time I play usually one side does make head way, people do progress, but then other team gets tanks and start getting pushed back. This is a lot more noticeable when chassis got a cost back, you see more games being won without heavies, sometimes even medium tanks.

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

I guess I keep thinking of pugs and the like, where teams are filled with vets and pretty darn even.

19. Lazybum

Oh, but I mean even when it's even one team can still win due to better tactics or squad play or what have you. Even if doesn't happen enough, empires is neat in there is actually quite a few options to get a victory.

20. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Because it's not really even. Not to mention squad plays = skills.

In most RTS games, yeah sure, tactics matters.

But in Empires, tactics?
    Alpha squad to B2, Bravo squad to D4, when you get there drop walls and build raxs, don't forget ammo and revive.
    There you go.

APC rushes/Ninjas are IMO retarded tactics, I doubt their "net advantage" is actually positive.