Scout (Rifle) is not useless >.>

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by PreDominance, May 11, 2009.

1. communism

communism poof

Carbine or NFHR would take him out before he could retaliate
    Although thats because riflemen are lame ass shit ATM (in my opinion), so until riflemen get nerfed or scouts buffed then your worthless being a long ranged fighter

2. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Eh, maybe-sorta, I duno. I've done some pretty good shit as a scout, but until my spree happens, I'm usually just killing random people on the front lines.

3. Aeryon

Aeryon Banned

Exploting doesn't make you a good player ;)

4. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

This is also a scout-only discussion. Therefore the examples are given when I'm a scout.

5. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

cmon guys, what kind of valid argument is " i can kill a camping engy"??

every class can do that and grens can do that from just as far as the scout can shoot.
    not to mention killing one engy per minute that gets revved 3 seconds later is hardly contributing to the team, it is just annoying for the other team, nothing more.

6. SupaChupa

SupaChupa Member

look all this argument over the scout is basically based on its name, it is called a scout so people assume it should do what a scout does see what the enemy is doing from far away, which is why they pick the scout rifle

now the people who are 0's and 1's gamers notice that the scout has abilities like that of a saboteur, and as empires maps are not large enough for scouting abilities to be really of any consequence ( despite making you look cool) they want the class to behave as a saboteur.

as it stands now the scout needs the scout rifle because it is still a scout, untill you rename it to saboteur ,if thats what you want it to be doing, people will behave as scouts should not as saboteurs should

7. Mashav

Mashav Member

The scout only has the role of saboteur right now because sabotage DoT was buffed 5 times over (4 times as of 2.24). Sabotage was a fine utility when it debuted in 1.8/2.0, but its use was limited because of the scouts other problems(mainly in regard to his mobility).

I agree that the name is misleading, and I don't think that the role that most people associate with it is the best way to take it(although there have been some good ideas if it was to be done). The name is a secondary issue, with the main issue being "What should the scout do, and how should he do it?"

The scout as of now does not, and never really has had, a defined role. It was a grouping of similar archetypes together. Until 1.8/2.0 the scouts defining feature was hide. Then it became the new modeled scout rifles. Then it became hide again when those got nerfed. Then it became sabotage when it was buffed to fuck. Only during the periods of unbalanced mechanics being the focus has the scout seen large amounts of play.

8. Apogee

Apogee Member

I'm finding scout play pretty varied, and heavily map dependant.

On close-quarters maps, I usually end up going for speed, melee, hide, and enhanced senses. Sneak around and bop people on the head.
    On maps with defined choke points but no sneaky action (slaughtered comes to mind), the scout rifle lets you headshot people from a reasonable range for the one-shot kill.
    On gigantic comm maps, a scout in a jeep can do more damage than anyone else; just screw around with the enemy economy, sabatoging refs as quickly as possible.

It's worth noting that I think scout is the best class with 4 skills, but sucks with just one or two.

Also, I usually go scout as comm once I have 20 points. Veh Speed and Enchanced Senses are vital for escaping APC rushes and sniffing out scouts. Stealth is icing on the cake :P.

9. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Stealth allows you to commpush a few engis into the enemy base and build a rax ^.~

But as I've said before, the scout does not have a role (support, MAYBE), but it does have maneuverability.