Scout (Rifle) is not useless >.>

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by PreDominance, May 11, 2009.

1. OuNin

OuNin Member

This is true.

2. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Thanks PH and Ounin.

Anyways, e-build is 1/3 slower than Engineer. The most useful tactic is have your comm drop an armory, you e-build it, have your comm drop a rax, you build it with engineer, then you capown.
    How to get to said Armory? Hide, of course.
    BUT HIDE SUXORZ.
    You ever try finding a decent hidden scout? Pfft, good luck.

Like I said...this weekend, find me some game for lulz. I'll be owning.

3. Alceister

Alceister Member

I can go quite a few minutes on several maps without being spotted. The trick is to keep your distance and not move too much.

4. OuNin

OuNin Member

I don't use Hide skill. I'm just very sneaky.

5. Alceister

Alceister Member

You don't NEED the hide skill, but it's still nice insurance.

6. Aeoneth

Aeoneth Member

im really not sure why people want the scout rifle removed. Its not OP in a damage sense and from what ive read the only reason people think its OP is because players cant see where theyre getting shot from. If thats the case why not add damage indicators (is it a coding/implementation thing?)

as for scouts being useless. Ive seen it go both ways. I think the problem is that the scout went through sucha long useless period that people still think it is useless or think its useless because only noobs (to scout class) use it now. If a player can do well with scout (with or without SR) then by all means play scout. However it looks like people are still getting used to scout and thus we see these 'useless' scouts.

that and there are too many people who play it like its a .50 cal rifle or other powerhouse bolt action rifle

7. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

The reason is that it makes people useless.

8. OuNin

OuNin Member

Not knowing where your being shot from is an absolutely daft reason to remove. Any infantryman with his head on his shoulders will know that when getting shot, he will be moved slightly from where he was. If he is moving, he will either slow down if shot from the front or speed up if shot from the rear (shot from the left or right side is very noticeable). Given a general direction of where the scout is, looking in that direction, it's easy to see and follow a tracer.

On average, it takes about 6 seconds for to kill somebody with the scout rifle. That's a very conservative estimate it takes the average scout to do real damage. In that time, you can either run to cover, look for the source, or suppress the scout. If you're in the open, well, you're knee deep in tactical shit.

Moreover, the presence of scout rifles on a team is exagerrated. At most, I've seen two on a team, including myself. One interesting thing to note is that people that play the scout rifle are probably noobs. They wouldn't be wholly more valuable as another class anyway. At least when they lone wolf, you don't need to babysit them or do stupid shit that will get you killed. If you want to change the game because of how new players play the game, I'll be damned.

So, there!

9. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

I'll be on later tonight. Apparently I've never seen anyone because you all go to the G4TC server....which is completely horrendous with 64 peepz. Iono.

Anyways, I'll be awn later tonight, on my good computer. See you all then (through my scope...) !

10. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

Right then.

I don't know where I get shot from with that bloody gun, are you calling me a noob?

On average, a newb can't kill someone with the scout rifle. at all. Yet, there's this poster above me who can, allegedly, do it in under 2 seconds. Now I know what you thinkin' - mowtar whoars, noobs can't do it, JPL can. But at least they do something. They might do some damage to a tank or building, or perhaps hit someone behind a wall with splash. If you like, the learning curve of the scout rifle begins at zero, most other weapons at least begin with something.

Finally, that new noob server, 6/13 players as scout, only vet was I and I was in spec. Doesn't take a genius to work out that that team lost horribly, despite the fact that everyone there was equally shit. it was evident when watching that the scouts did nothing. If they were engis, riflemen or grenadiers they would have been doing something. Us vets in the sky would probably think, 'lol, noob newb is noob.' But at least they'd be doing something to hinder the enemy.

11. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

You might not be a newbie per se, but knowing the general direction of where you're getting shot from after the first shot doesn't take years of experience to figure out.

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Especially not if you stuck giant muzzleflashes on your tracers like me.

13. Alceister

Alceister Member

OKAY

Here's my proposition for the Scout Rifle:

Zooming in initially has some sway, but will dissipate after a few seconds.

A big fat tracer to let the enemy know where you're shooting from.

Single shot.

Low rate of fall off.

Moderate damage.

Bonus damage against Engineers.

14. AvatarJC

The scout rifle is not a bad weapon. The scout rifle is nowhere near a good weapon either. It's more of a stealth-medium range weapon than a sniper simply because of the damn damage fall-off. Seriously, why would a sniper rifle lose so much damage from range?

15. zenarion

zenarion Member

The trick is to not be Captain Gerald Obvious of the Brenodi Amphibious corps, and just crawl around in straight lines inbetween buildings, and hide in "hidey spots". That's where a pissed off RPG-wieldan Grenadier with a flashlight will go looking for your hidden ass. Hiding in plain sight is the trick.

16. OuNin

OuNin Member

It's fine exactly the way it is right now.

17. Killersteel

Killersteel Member

Is it just me, or has this thread just gotten hotter from the massive flame war? I don't see why we're all flaming a class for what noobs do or want to do >_>, sure they're noobs, does that make a class useless? No, not even close. Getting 5 shots off in 2 seconds is either scripting, a person who doesn't get out enough, or is just bullshit. The Scout Rifle isn't useless, but it isn't good either since the nerf of it's damage, also agreed that why does a sniper rifle lose effectiveness over range, where RANGE is it's strong point? Anyway, this whole thread is just full of people trying to convince others that the scout is useless, though when in the right hands, can turn the entire game around. So go back to your rifleman NFHR fun, or gren over-the-wall-and-face-blast mowtar shit, or your engie turret spam, and leave us sneaky snipers to our class. Stop flaming, since it's not gonna stop people from USING Scout, it's just gonna cause the people that DO use it to retaliate, and not in a fun way, alright people?

18. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Nicely said, badly gravedug :p

19. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

People bitch because everyone that does it is a waste of manpower.
    The other players on your team dont like to work more so you can fuck around.
    I never seen a single game turned around because of that rifle...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  20. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Lawl, as a snipe the engi that's camping behind the walls.

Or what about the one inside the bunker that everyone else has a hard-time shooting?