S.S.M vechicle / rocket truck

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by =HELLION=, May 21, 2006.

1. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

well the rocket truck i am thinking of the rockets would fire on a swivel
    [​IMG]
    it would be just like the turret on the tanks only a crosshair for guiding. it would be like the grenader how if you hold down the fire it tracks, and if you just click it is a normal missle..
    this picture is basicly it only the front 'truck' part has been cut off prob to display...

2. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Dizzyone closed my thread and told me to post here (must have misspelled missile when I searched :S)

I see this as a interesting change to the game. it would replace either sides artillery, but be equivalent, and add more varying gameplay. It could work 2 ways.

1, the easy way. the missile sits in the back (like this), and the missile bed is raised and lowered, arching exactly like artillery works now. Would only require minor coding and changes.

2, the hard way. the truck has a angled missile bed like the first one, but is fixed in place. Instead of arching with the same velocity every shot, rocket power is actively changed to meet the different angles. this means the missile never moves (like an artillery barrel), but it still achieves its arch and distance through automatic adjustment of the propulsion systems.

This would make the game more interesting, with each side being more different and varied.

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

let' add, not replace.

4. TheBoff

TheBoff Member

me likes it - I was thinking of trying to model something like this but gave up as my time constraints are t3h failz0rs!!!

5. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

I suggested something similar at some point, too.

6. Apogee

Apogee Member

I envisioned a missile-boat type vehicle being something like the picture that Hellion posted. In terms of stats, something like arty - slow (but faster than arty), light armour,and a bit more maneuverable on account of a turreted missile platform. I think it should have 3 2-slot missile bays, so you could stick in 6 regular missiles, or 3 homers, or 3 4-packs... you get the idea. I really wouldn't want something this light carrying nukes.

Its role in combat would be support fire - bombard buildings or tanks as they approach. In close combat with any other tank it would likely be blown away before it could let loose enough shots.

Arty for NF as a giant rocket platform is appealing. It definitely gives a rustic, cobbled together feel. Imagine big rockets slowly arcing over the battlefield... frankly, I love the idea. Much more awe-inspiring than regular arty shells. Make the damage area huge, but not too damaging to infantry. For a twist, maybe make the vehicle equitable with a special type of rocket (Nuke?) that is extra-large, but also able to be shot down by players or missile turrets.

This is a bit off topic, but... taking the idea of differentiating NF and BE a bit further, you could add a counterpart of the light mobile missile platform and add one for the BE, using a different weapon. If the devs are wiling to streach it, giving the BE some sort of preliminary laser weaponry would be great for a support tank. Light armour, maneuverable, and a heavy punch. Maybe I should make a topic for that. :P

7. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Thats all good except for close combat. Its a missile platform, its downward view should be restricted like arty so that it cant be used for direct fire.

Edit: also, do I sense a UT2K4 fascination?

8. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

NF: large, innaccurate rockets that go in a highish arc and end up impacting all over the place. 1 in 10 of the rockets will not detonate on impact, but wait another 30 seconds (and can be defused by engineers)

BE: precise, rapid fire small rockets that fire in a low arc. similar distance, though easier to stop with walls or terrain features.

9. KILLX

KILLX Banned

So NF missile truck is basically a rocket powered artillery barrage :D
    If that was implemented, and enough people co-operated in multiple ones, you could make the equivalent to a freaking carpet bomb

10. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Actually, I have another suggestion to make at some point:

To make the implementation of boats not quite so desperate, hovercraft?

I can see it now... TEH LO-FLYANG BLIMBS!

11. KILLX

KILLX Banned

If my map idea works, you may be building blimbs :P

12. Hikuso

Hikuso Member

Yes, please add more ways to artilleryspam an area from a distance, so that in the end we won't even haveto see our enemies EVER

13. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Oh, of COURSE we'll see our enemies. We'll see them as their bombers obliterate our artillery positions and leave us going "OH SHI-" and "mebbe we shoulda gone w/ LTs..."

14. Apogee

Apogee Member

Well, I think that a rocket truck should replace the NF arty (same thing, just a missile, not a shell), and some sort of support tank with a plethora of rockets on a turret... not more indirect fire, just the missiles we use now.

15. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

[​IMG]

Posted that image again for the sheer fact that the design is so HOT. If an SSM vehicle is ever added, I really hope the developers take inspiration from that drawing.

16. Pimp Recruit (formerly Don Music)

Pimp Recruit (formerly Don Music) Member

I think it's ugly.

You know, my opinion is REALLY important. ;)

17. Bishop Gantry

Bishop Gantry Member

rocket artillery is usually faster firing, less accurate longer reloads while artillery would be more of a continous barrage over a longer period of time.

18. Apogee

Apogee Member

Yeah, we aren't talking about artillery here... think a couple tanks at the front of the battle, and a rocket tank int he back providing direct fire support. Not way back, out of the battle, lobbing shells.

Unless of course you are thinking of the possible giant rocket launcher to replace the NF arty tank. Then we are talking about arty :P.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  19. KILLX

KILLX Banned

yes Apogee, that is the topic of this discussion.

20. Kyel Logen

Kyel Logen Member

*hust* I would like to see some "Rocketbuggys" ^^

[​IMG]

I canĀ“t find the old model from the Rocket Buggy from the NF Jeep, but it was a good looking Rockedbuggy/jeep ^^

(Sorry for the bad english,... -_-