Revive costs a ticket

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Empty, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Empty

Empty Member

Now I know what you're thinking WTF THATS FUCKING RETARDED EMPTY IT'LL MAKE REVIVE USELESS

But hear me out.

At the moment, when a team runs out of tickets, they stall out the game by hiding like babies and squad reviving forever. This isn't fun gameplay, it removes the action, the intensity and makes your team unwilling to attack (which is fair enough because they can't respawn) The problem is, this stage of the game should be brief, running out of tickets should end the game, it's a loss condition. Squad rev and normal rev drag out the game a lot longer than they ought to.

A lot of people think revive is used for ticket saving, and that is a bonus, but the main use for revive is you get a squad member back instantly, he doesn't have to walk from a barracks and he's good to go instantly, this is absurdly powerful and useful in and of itself, and due to the nature of revives returning tickets it's very very powerful for little drawback in a squad situation.

The way I see it, with this nerf to revive, it'll still be a vital skill in infantry combat early days, but we'll lose the retarded game stretch at the end

Slight issue:
    The problem is when a person gets spawn camped while reviving, this can eat tickets FAST. One solution is to make it drain a ticket once every 10 seconds, this is as fast as normal respawning and if the player is constantly dying/reviving it's basically the same drain rate as if they got shot coming out of the barracks.

Pros:
    Nerfs revive which is like the best skill.
    Stops ugly stalemates.
    Running out of tickets becomes an ultimatum, not a momentum slower.

Cons:
    Issues with revive/death happening quickly in succession
    Squad rev now costs 4 tickets.

2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I've simply never been a fan of tickets as an ultimatum; it promotes situations like you described above. I am of the opinion that running out of tickets should reduce spawning time for that team, but not restrict it outright.

Concerning revive being an overly strong skill, I think it is only too strong in the end game, not in the rest of the round

3. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

"DONT REV ME FUCKING NOOB!"

Doesn't this already exist? In sudden death, you can't revive each other right ?

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I don't see the problem with the stretch at all, the level of tension at that stage of the game is just incredible. I've spent ages trying to think of a better system than tickets that still captures that end-game tension, much like commander sudden death, but nothing does. To me, it's just a necessary evil.

Idea is terrible.

5. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

fuck off sincerely fuck off, although only for squad rev costing tickets, the normal rev costing ticket might be debatable IF you up the time to 20 seconds instead of 10.

I'm just completely contra this suggestion cause it is counterproductive to empires teamwork , and empires is based on teamwork.

1. You can't go arround with a squad and destroying their entire base by squad revving and revive whoring cause it'll cost shitload of tickets. = anti teamwork anti fun

2. skrims... Tickets are going to run out so mutherfucking fast, games will end under 20 minute mark. so fuck no.

6. Paradox

demote empty from being a dev cause he suggested this.

7. Empty

Empty Member

What tension?
    All I see is people screaming about squads, new players having no idea what the fuck is going on and both teams turtling like babies.

8. Empty

Empty Member

If you want to take down enemy bases without using shit tons of tickets then don't fucking die it's not hard.

9. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

So you think it's more fun that both teams will join spectator even faster, because both teams won't have tickets?

10. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

You obviously have issues with discerning the suggestion from the person who suggested it. Protip: shoot the message, not the messenger

11. Paradox

it's pretty hard not dieing against X mg turrets + more guys than you have in their base. Idk bro... the only advantage you have is that you have squadopints and revive spam..

12. Empty

Empty Member

Or one team will steamroll because every death will put the opposing team down significantly.

The only reason the gradual move to spectator happens is because getting squad revived slowly becomes harder and harder until it's eventually impossible.

13. Paradox

extremely new players*

and dude this is a way too simplified look at late stage sudden death bro.
    Y u so pessimist?

14. Paradox

question: why dyou want every emp game to take less than 20 minutes?

note: Rax spamming would get more important than revive since it's going to be easyer to have multiple rax so you dont have to wait for a 1 ticket costing rev....

15. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

On some rounds Trickster, you are right, especially if it goes sudden death. But on most of them, a lot of strategy disappears with tickets because people are too afraid to try anything risky. It becomes long and drawn out, like on Slaughtered when everyone is too scared to push because they'd get raped by the enemy's heavies, or, god forbid, like on 40-player district.

Perhaps the worst part of these long matches that essentially consist of people yelling not to spawn and being too scared to push is that they really are server-killers. Once such a round ends, it isn't uncommon to see half the sever leave the game. Many of them will feel like they just wasted a particularly large amount of time on one map just to lose. At least for me, after playing a 90 minute round of slaughtered, I really don't feel like playing much Empires after that, especially if I lost because most of them are boring. If it was a long match but interesting, I'd keep playing but those are the vast minority of cases.

16. Paradox

GET IN A SQUAD THAT HAS SQUAD POINTS AND ISNT BATSHIT STUPID TO WASTE THEM WITHOUT GETTING MORE. just sayin'

17. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Which doesn't solve the problem of how boring the end-game gets.

In fact, that response is entirely unrelated to what I said.

18. Trickster

Keep in mind that Empty never gets to play any games of even remote coordination because he's Australian, he probably gets the worst end of end-game ticket play.

At the end of the day, most issues with tickets were solved once recycling your barracks no longer let you sit at 1/2 tickets to avoid sudden death. You're all forgetting that the vast majority of the time, one of 2 things happen:

1) You have a good team. You coordinate not using the last of the tickets, and because you have a good team, carry on playing rather than camping, with intention to win.

2) You have a bad team. Despite your screaming, they use the last of your tickets. If the other team is 1), you lose. If the other team is 2), you go into sudden death.

Those are the only 2 possibilities, and neither of them present a problem.

19. Paradox

if you have a decent squad you attack with your squad in tanks and just kill as much as possible and then when you die or when you see your attack is crumbling you retreat and squad rev dead mates and go again. Problem solved?

Problem is you joined during the or in the down period of empires with an average skill level of mentally retarded. So yeah...

20. Trickster

There is also the fact that Paradox is (god forbid) actually right. If this means rushing a base as a squad is going to cost you tickets, or actual teamwork costs you tickets, that's really not cool. This is a really poor solution for your problem about the end-game, by totally changing (ruining) the rest of the game. Especially given that end-game probably only happens 1 in 20 rounds, if not less. And on top of that, the issues with that end-game are subjective at best. I certainly don't take issue with them.