Reserve Windows 10 Today!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by CRITAWAKETS, Jun 1, 2015.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

It feels weird to let that expire. It's historically worth like a hundred bucks, right?

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

For an oem copy yes. Full versions are like 200, unless they stopped that with win 8.

3. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

My idea is that if I'm going to get Windows 10 and I'm going to get an SSD, I might as well wait until they're both out how I want them and just do one major upgrade. 100$ is a bit of a stretch, I'm actually thinking more around 150$ is when I'd bother picking one up. Besides, I'd want to wait a year or so before getting Windows 10 anyway so that there aren't any major bugs left lying around.

4. ImSpartacus

You'll probably be able to pick up a tb ssd for $250-200 on a deal in the last months before the free Windows 10 upgrade expires. If a separate oem license costs like $100 normally, then you may want to consider it. That'll have about a year of bugfixes as well.

Honestly, I might do something similar, but it would involve a tb data ssd because I'm just a unique little snowflake like that.

5. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Who doesn't need to lower access times for their mp3 files... (you kids still have music stored on a local drive, right?)

6. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

So if my win7 works fine, is there a reason for me to go to 10?
    Because im pretty much happy with what I got.

I made xp stretch long as I could and went straight to 7.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  7. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

DirectX 12 is nice, supposedly.

8. ImSpartacus

Lel, local media storage. This is 2015, not 2005. We aren't hipsters, McGyver.

Seriously though, it's for games. One of the few regrets of my pc is that I didn't spend the extra hundred bucks on a half tb drive instead of a quarter tb drive. A year ago, I didn't have eighteen million games with high res textures and other shit because my pc couldn't play them. And I didn't have seventeen and a half empires installs on my machine because I hadn't been dragged into that shit.

If you're getting an ssd, you might as well get the one with the best storage per dollar. That's the tb capacity right now (unless you count those shit ssds that you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy). So boom, one tb it is.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

The icon only shows up for people who were foolish to install updates without checking what they are first. The description for 2 of windows updates have been horrifically vague so many have not installed those "updates" that are "important".

10. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

"Most recent check for updates: 2/3/2015"

I think it's that time of the season for me.

11. Metruption

Metruption Member

what does win10 have that win7 doesn't?

12. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Who adds thyme to their seasonings anyway

5 characters

13. ImSpartacus

DX12 and a support lifespan.

14. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

I would like to see how restrictive the license on this free upgrade will be.
    Will the license still be valid if I upgrade my computer? (eg. changing the motherboard.)
    Basically what the difference between OEM and retail license was with Windows 7.

15. ImSpartacus

I have a hunch that Microsoft wants every Windows machine to have 10. They aren't doing this free year to be good guys. Something is going to happen.

So it makes sense that they aren't going to be super mega Nazis about letting people get this operating system. But we'll see what happens.

16. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

I heard that the license would be "tied to you computer".
    Which probably means it would stop working if you upgraded in the future.
    I remember when I had a computer with an OEM copy of Windows XP on it and the license got invalidated just because I changed some bios settings.

17. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Atleast in Germany Microsofts EULA is partly invalid and, thx the Courts, windows 7 OEM can be bought and resold. That means, I can change the whole hardware but have to call MS product activation hotline afterwards.

No idea if 10 changes my legal copies of 7 to hardware-bound licenses though.

Right now we can all just speculate.

18. ImSpartacus

You could be right.

But I feel like the spirit behind Microsoft's choice to have a free year suggests that they just want to bring everyone up to 10. I can think of a couple reasons why they might want to do this:

• They could bait and switch us with a subscription pricing model in a few years.
    • They could be desperate to keep people on Windows and they want everyone to experience the "proper" "full" Windows featureset.
    • They could be trying to consolidate everyone on 10 to entice developers to take up some new 10-exclusive platform.
    • They could be trying to move to some other revenue model that allows core Windows to be free, or very cheap. I like this one because it explains why they are allowing pirated copies (particularly in Asia) to upgrade. They would be monetizing pirates properly.

Not all of those are mutually exclusive, but a couple of them aren't compatible with the idea of this upgrade being an oem-style license. So we'll see what happens.

19. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Or they are just fed up with patching 5 diferent systems at the same time

20. Deiform

Deiform Member

It's Z100M's reason. Microsoft have been really public and developer friendly recently. They're fed up of supporting so many versions. It's extremely unlikely it's a PR stunt or any desperation move.