research is fucking confusing

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by FN198, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Except then you run into issues where no one knows what's good and no one has enough time to figure out if something is actually bad or not. With the last patch doing what it did to fission, people quickly realized it was broken. But when the script changes went through that made Advanced Coolant heat up while moving, people were quick to admonish it. It took a good month if not more for people to adapt to it and see that it was actually a pretty interesting change that added more strategy to the game.

2. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

i think the research descriptors should be ALL CAPS or in bold or in a DIFF COLOR.

Also, shorten them a bit, ie:

Advanced Coolant Engine - Massive Overheat Protection when Stationary

Advanced Coolant Engine - Massive Overheat Protection when Stationary

ADVANCED COOLANT ENGINE - MASSIVE OVERHEAT PROTECTION WHEN STATIONARY

now, please shoot down this idea... :)

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Black doesn't stand out at all on the default forum skin. At least FN can see it.

Also, please buff ranged cannon some more, it's already the best cannon in the game <3

EDIT:
    Aha, beat you!

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

black sucks on blue
    only blue is worse

5. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

how come no one researches it then?? i think i've only used like one tank with it, and yes it did seem pretty OP to some degree.

does it have any setbacks/drawbacks against certain armor types?

EDIT: also the forum color is darker than the ingame blue that isee, course its prob cause my brightness is cranked :)

6. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

green is best

7. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

Purple is sexy

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

But not as visible.

@bitchslap: The problem with it is that it has little anti-infantry capabilities, making it purely a DPS cannon against armoured targets and buildings. Since most teams are made of a mixture of vets, regulars and newbs/nubs, all-purpose weapons get the priority (HE) over such stuff. I can easily see Ranged work out great if the team is coordinated. Hell, just one squad working together (sadly, quite strictly, which rules out pubs) can use 1-2 ranged cannon vehicles to annihilate opposition so long as the 3-4 footsoldiers get rid of, or at least hold back, enemy grens and riflemen. Dual Ranged eats armour for breakfast and still asks for more. As long as you can land a couple consecutive volleys, the enemy tank has nothing to say in return.

9. FN198

FN198 Member

what do you get if you're on NF?

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

First off, that's a dickish way to change my post in the quote.

Second, I have no idea. I was toying about with dual UML, dual homing and dual guided, and UML is kinda like Ranged in that it has huge DPS if you can land it, homing turns you into a turret and guided is nice for sieges but even then is rather hard to use unless you've had plenty of time to practice with it.

The short answer is, I have no clue what works for NF and therefore I stick to infantry and APCs.

11. FN198

FN198 Member

makes it easier for anyone reading my post to understand my question, and your statement. i mean come on man, cannons don't eat breakfast and tanks don't chat either!

neither do i, man. HE CN and Bio ML work alright though... even on NF heavies

12. D.D.D. Destroyer

Yes, except you've added some unnecessary flavour to it.

Oh, that works really well, it's newbie-friendly with its area of effect and deals considerable amounts of damage. However, swapping out HE for Ranged, which, as someone (hexi?) calculated, has higher theoretical maximal DPS would increase anti-armour potential while forgoing immediate the solution to infantry. Then again, reduced splash -> harder to use -> newbies have issues -> more bad than good is achieved.

One thing worth considering is slapping a different kind of ML onto the second slot on the NF heavy. Bio relies mostly on DoT anyways, so taking twice the bio load may be a little overkill for almost all situations (exception: loads of infantry resistance yet nukes are not available). Instead, UML could be used for pure DPS or Homing for easy extra damage to accompany the cannon against armoured targets and buildings. That would require some mingling with the weapon setups, but it'd increase the potential of the NF heavy. Then again, it's probably still too much for a newbie to handle. Nevertheless, it might be worth trying out when a bunch of vets and regulars are playing.

But I definitely agree, HE + bio ML is certainly a potent combo usable in any situation the driver finds themselves in.

13. FN198

FN198 Member

what makes me mad about it though is that the only other missile you can effectively add is another bio missile because anything else would ruin the handling simplicity. tanks should never have to have more than one number group. there is, however, one exception to that rule though. BE heavies with non-bio engines and primary/secondary cannons may have a 2nd group homing salvo.

though on nf heavies, nukes dont really make sense because they take up too much weight to feasibly allow equipping other weapons and at the same time remain reasonably armored.

14. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

NF heavies will always be inferior to BE heavies. They have to fill the gap by taking advantage of their supposedly better LT's.

15. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Dual nukes ftw

16. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I honestly hope that this can eventually be achieved. I feel like the heat, weight and lack of versatility make it possible. I feel like six MLs would be worse because you could sprint to heavies immediately and have a semi viable weapon off the bat.

17. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

You do know that I re-added shotgun NF heavies in the last patch? It's more than viable to rush heavies with absolutely no research at all. I did it on a number of occasions in the week I was back in the UK after the patch got released. Purely standard heavies with 5x ML for glorious justice.

18. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

bio-homing. (4slot only) ie: NF only

think of at as Hail Mary weapon for the underdog

i will now let Trickster fire away!

19. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I'll hold it for 6x MLs before I make my pub teams use paper heavies. Still good to know, though.

20. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

yes bio homing is awesome but takes forever to get and bio ml alone isnt that good in killing tanks.