Remove the Scout Rifle or Empires Dies

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by ImSpartacus, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I'm sorry but that's Empires greatest aspect. The game is never over, no matter how badly you're losing.

I'm pretty disappointed in you Empty.

2. Empty

Empty Member

Eh, it's not as bad as it used to be. 9mine ruined so many fun games for me.

APC rushes at least take coordination between 2-3 players minimum, i still dislike it but I can deal.

3. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

How is hide supposed to be an issue anyway?
    Tracers do a good job of giving away position, and with only one surface, the scout is easy to spot anyway.

4. Neo Daedalus

Neo Daedalus Member

If you use the weapon silencer skill, sniping becomes really easy, even if you don't have hide. As long as they don't notice some of them are missing at first, a good scout can take an entire squad out before he gets spotted and shot at enough to kill him.

However, I do agree with some comments that weapons in Empires need bullet drops. That would make certain weapons a bit less useful as they are, but I think that we can all safely agree that getting headshotted from half across the map with pistol 1 can be really frustrating. That would encourage even the good players to use the s.rifle, for its range. It would also give weapons more of a one-purpose kinds of weapons, not certain weapons being useful at anything (aaaarrrrghhrifle1khhhggrhhhmaaaaggghhhh). As said by someone (?) this makes a weapon OP.

About noobs using it, I still think that if a comm has the ability to limit the number of certain classes that problem can be solved.
    The thing that really makes Empires go against the RPG part of the game is, thet the comm has waaaaaay too little cotrol. While it's good for the comm's soldiers to do most of the things by themselves, he cannot really make them do anything.
    And he is supposed to be chosen to control the team. It's like public allections. People vote for someone (or don't vote et all -.-) and then complain fo that person doing it their way. The comm is there to COMMAND his/her team not to plead them to do a single thing right. If you want to fix this noobs-overusing-something thing, just let the comm force them not to.

5. NemesisLeon

NemesisLeon Member

AWP was always a problem in every FPS that had it.

Don't remove it though. Then I'd have to use ACTUAL STRATEGY to overcome things.

Replace single-powerful-shot sniper rifles with very-high-fire-rate sniper rifles. As unrealistic and unintuitive as that is, it'll give players a chance to survive being sniped over and over.

But really, as long as headshots with AWP are the ONLY one-hit kill you can get with them. You could always remove it.

6. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

Make the scout rifle equivalent to a steyr scout in cs:s so it takes a headshot instead of 1 headshot/3 bodyshots at point blank and 1 headshot + 1/2 bodyshots / 6 bodyshots at range

7. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I get the feeling that neither of you understand the problem here...

8. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

That you're all scared of a balanced scout rifle because it would be too powerful despite being balanced?

Or is it mines?

9. Candles

No, the problem is that shit players will continue to use the scunt rifle and keep being shit players. There's a damn good reason you can measure which team is shitter by the number of scunts on each.

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

why does there have to be a scoped rifle in the first place?

11. ‡|JPL|‡ Corpsegrinder

‡|JPL|‡ Corpsegrinder Member

I enjoy playing with the scout rifle. It's challenging to me because its a totally different play style. But the difference is that when I play with the rifle I don't sit back and use hide and "snipe". I'm usually running the front line doing 720 no scope headshots while jumping out of a jeep, then sticky stunning 4 infantry guys in a blaze of glory. All the while sabbing buildings. HEXI WAS THERE!

12. NemesisLeon

NemesisLeon Member

because there are areas equal-to or larger-than a football field, and scopes are "cool".

:D -----------------------:headshot: :headshot: :headshot: ------------->
    Sniping!

13. ‡|JPL|‡ Corpsegrinder

‡|JPL|‡ Corpsegrinder Member

But in all honesty, new people do tend to bring a team down using scout rifle. I played a game last week while there was like 10 people in the server( which is the new norm) and needed every player I had to be useful. I was comm and 2 guys that were noob buddies said they were going to go scout and find a good sniping spot. After I was done explaining to them how useless they were, they proceeded to try and find a good sniping spot and both died during the first exchange of fire. My forward rax went unbuilt. My team was steamrolled. The end. It's different when it's 24vs24 and a few news guys do this but it just doesn't work nowadays.

14. Candles

And honestly, that is perfectly fine to me. There are some veterans that are very good with the scunt rifle in close-quarters and use it because its challenging and different. The issue is that those people lie in the minority, with the majority of the players getting hide and the scunt rifle so they can spend most of the map crawling on their gut being useless.

15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

the only solution for keeping a somewhat reasonable inner-team class balance would be to impose hard class limits on any class but engineer percentage based on player limit.
    this has been suggested several times over the last couple of years and never received broad support among players or devs.

edit:
    you could also let people earn the other classes with 10 pts. dunno just came to mind, didnt think about it much - first thing that comes up would be that it maybe might shift the perception of engi too much, but it at least would make people play it in the early buildup phase where its most important to have a couple of them.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  16. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Just make the scout rifle an aids dart gun. 10 dmg impact with aids effect.

Problem?

I still like my idea of AT gun for scout though. :(

17. Neo Daedalus

Neo Daedalus Member

The class limit would work, but a mandatory one would prevent any kind of apc rushes, when the tam is not 20+ members. Also on certain maps (mvalley) there are only a few engies needed as of when the 1st rax gets built. I do miss the times, when people were more perceptive to combat medics tho (engi-revive, heal, stamina u.).

18. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Viroman, your ideas aren't bad, but they can never be good enough.

We cannot modify the sniper rifle expect to fix the problem at hand:

If you want me to add in "anti-tank" and "bio dartgun" alongside "shoots plasma cannon rounds," then I can do that. It doesn't change the argument. You can't outthink this problem with some magical modification.

19. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Actually I like the idea of it being an automatic sniper rifle, it would make up for the lack of damage it causes.

The point of bolt action rifles is that you sacrifice speed for stopping power.
    Since it doesn't have any to begin with, it should be a fair compromise.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  20. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

What we really need is to fund every player language classes.

When I play I keep getting the impression people don't understand me, and when they write three badly structured words in allchat I can see why. I remember doing the same thing - completely ignoring any kind of message in "the foreign language" and just doing what I felt was right at the time. Now that I got a little bit better with English I listen to pretty much any and all noises and make out words, but the random 9-year-old guy might not.

tl;dr the world is not just Britain and 'Murica.