Remove the Scout Rifle or Empires Dies

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by ImSpartacus, Jan 21, 2013.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

A worthless sniper might as well not even be playing.

2. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

What about the worth riflemen who run into the front line and drain tickets? What about the worthless engineers who sit in base and build walls for no reason? What about the worthless grens who just shoot rockets at buildings? The scout rifle is the number one scapegoat for a problem that will never be fixed.

3. ImSpartacus

You're right that there will always be players that don't contribute to their team.

These players need a certain amount of guidance to begin positively contributing. Perhaps someone could call your rifleman back behind walls and get him to provide covering fire or nade spam. Perhaps someone could use your engineer to build structures in the base. Perhaps someone could tell your gren to use his mortar. It's true that all of those are non-contributing players, but the amount of guidance to get them to contribute varies from low to moderate.

The scout is different. The scout rifle draws new players to the class. They begin their noncontribution with sniping. An experienced player might try to advise them to begin contributing, but what can he say? He has to ask them to stop using the rifle and begin doing some really complicated stuff if he wants the scout to contribute.

Where the other classes can begin contributing with relative ease without being asked to completely abandon what they were previously doing, the scout is all but worthless. To become productive, he typically must completely abandon sniping and engage in complex situational strategies. The rifle draws in the noobiest of the noobs to a class that is the hardest to productively play. It's the perfect storm.

So while you're correct that changing class doesn't guarantee that new players begin contributing, staying on scout with that rifle all but ensures that they can never contribute.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  4. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I have to say, in my personal experience, more players who tend to use the scunt rifle tend to be worse at the game in general than players who use other classes, and players that tend use the scunt rifle tend to progress slower in terms of experience than players who don't.

5. ‡|JPL|‡ Corpsegrinder

‡|JPL|‡ Corpsegrinder Member

Recent studies have shown that excessive use of the scunt rifle may cause mental retardation. If you experience any of the following while using scout hide, with sniper rifle, silencer, whilst lying in wait, for a chance to do 50% damage to 1 enemy, contact a doctor immediately.

Extreme excitement
    A sense of purpose
    a k/d ratio at the end of a game of 2-13

6. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

I have been struggling with my severe addiction to the scunt rifle for many years now. Ever since I first installed the mod, the thrill of headshots has not been easy to let go. It has destroyed my relationship with teammates and various commanders. I have tried seeking professional help but nothing seems to work. I have been able to abstain from it for about year, but just recently I had the urge to try it again and the cycle repeats. All this talk about removing the rifle has me terrified. If this was to happen, I simply don't know of I can go on living anymore. :(

7. ImSpartacus

Someone needs to change your title to "functioning addict".

8. REX

REX Member

[​IMG]

Yay scouts

9. FN198

FN198 Member

i find the scout rifle allows me to support infantry while commanding. i can maintain a safe distance from the combat and still contribute with headshots. also enhanced senses woo!

keep the gun. it's worth it

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I'll probably rename it to "Scoped Rifle" (I want to avoid "Sniper") before I move it to Rifleman.

11. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

will it keep the same stats?

12. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Please tell me it'll replace the HMG.

13. Trickster

I don't really plan on changing anything about it to be honest. I may increase the mag size to encourage more mid-range use rather than long range. Possibly make it usable whilst standing if I can actually find a way to reduce scope swing, though I have no idea how I'd do that. I'd rather it was more of a "sharpshooter" weapon than a sniper rifle.

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Why would you want to get rid of the laser rifle?

15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

how is an increased mag an encouragement to get closer? i cant really follow the logic ...

16. Trickster

Well with a small mag, it encourages you to stay far away so you can be safe when you reload. A larger mag should make going closer more viable. Couple this with the ideas that I could reduce the scope sway, increase how much falloff lowers the damage by, increase the rifle rate, and it should make a pretty nice sharpshooter rifle. Though I draw the line at making it semi-automatic.

17. flasche

oh thats what "i dont really plan to change anything" means - knowing this it makes sense ;)

18. Trickster

Yeah I suck, my bad.

19. flasche

could be worse :)

20. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Could you make it so you stay inscope between shots too?