Remove the scout entirely from the game

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by -Mayama-, Jul 5, 2008.

1. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Member

Maybe camo like in metal gear solid 4? you'd be camouflaged but still visible, it just depends if the player can even identify you as a Terran, prop, or a enemy.

Camo means that you won't be transparent, but your character will change it's texture to a correct texture matching your environment.

Lets say you are in a grassland, then using camouflage will make your character use a forestry type texture.

If you are in an arctic environment with a lot of snow, then you will have a texture of white.

Be aware that camouflage means that you aren't using any skill to use it meaning you can shoot and stay blended in.

So to make it so that it can't be abused, camouflaged will "dirty" up by blood when you get shot randomly when the enemy doesn't know where you are and is spraying at places.

2. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

two years four months and counting, baby! And we still got players! Woo! Honestly a full server is all i need.

3. Dragon-Commando

Dragon-Commando Member

I've been playing this game since it was out as well, I just joined the forums alot later.

I happen to have alot of experiance with the scout class.

Camo that needs to be activated with a separate tool would only make it pointless. If you don't move people generaly don't see you, I've had whole squads walk right by me while I'm hiding against a wall.

If you want to change it then why not split it into two classes, spy and marksman. Give the spy reactive camo (invisibility) and the marksman can still have hide. The thing is the spy can still be spoted by cameras (which is how it works for hide right now), and if you build a camera by your turrets, it lets them locate the spy.

This way, people who want to go and sab the enemy base don't get the ranged rifle, which is what you want right?

4. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Nope, cuz then nobody would go sab and would just snipe.

5. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

I'll assume you are referring to the 2.0 release as "since it came out". Scouts are useless and all your posts telling us we don't know how to play the class exetera are stupid. I'm easily the best overall player in the game and there are plenty of other good players arguing against you here. No one has heard of you.

Having whole squads walk by you? Who cares? Sighting enemy buildings is useless and sneaking across the map to sabotage is generally a waste of time. We want a viable useful class that fits into empires gameplay. Which the scout currently does not.

6. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

i feel ignored.

7. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

As much as I hate to feed emp_recruit's already gi-normous ego, I am reluctantly forced to back up his statement. Everyone who says 'they've played so long they just aren't on forums omg' fails to realize that those of us who HAVE been playing forever recognize and know the other players who actually play. Granted, my knowledge is only so-so seeing as I have had computer problems for the last few months. But everyone else doesn't and knows the rest of the community quite well.

I wont say emp_recruit is the best because I simply don't know who is on top*, but he's certainly in the top 10%, and just about anyone in the know will vouch for that. Now if only he had the sunny disposition to match....

*that's what she said hiyooooo

8. thaile

thaile Member

This line right here suggest to me that you haven't been playing as long as you claim since camera can't see hidden players.

9. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I've been playing for a while now, and I do think there's room for a class that doesn't focus primarily on kills (an engineer can be very useful with few kills, for instance -- between reviving, repairing, building, dropping key walls, supplying ammo, etc, they have lots to do.)

My favored suggestion for the scout is still the one I gave inthis thread -- although that thread focuses on one specific way to do it, there's lots of different ways. The main thrust of my argument is that the scout should be an "anti-emplacement" class, focused on dealing with walls and turrets. Not on destroying large numbers of walls and turrets at once, mind you -- widespread destruction is the engineer/grenadier thing. Instead, the scout should be focused on making sudden quick breaches in entrenched enemy defenses. If the way this works emphasizes finding an existing weakness and widening/exploiting it so the rest of their team can rush in, that's even better, since it would fit the role of a scout perfectly.

They already have a bit of this (sabbing, particularly against turrets; and concussion grenades against turrets); but they need a way to deal with walls, at least on a limited basis (again, taking down a massively-walled area should be the engineer thing -- but I think opening an initial breach in a wall, during combat, should be the job of the scout. The engineer has enough to do already that giving up that role wouldn't really hurt them at all.)

Yes, yes, in theory grenadiers and engineers are already anti-emplacement classes... but the problem is, in terms of gameplay they suck at it. It's not that they're bad, it's that they're no fun... the engineer/grenadier anti-emplacement strategy basically boils down to nade spam/mortar spam/rocket sniping. All three of those things are widely hated, and for a very good reason... they're not that fun, either for the people doing them or the people receiving them.

They can stay in the game, of course, but I don't think they should be the primary way of taking out a defensive emplacement. I think having a scout sneak or dash up to the wall and do something to breach it quickly (or having scouts do... whatever to turrets) would be much more interesting than using engineer tools, or lobbing things over it, or any of the stuff we do now.

It would also encourace cooperation, because unlike a grenadier or an engineer, the scout doesn't have any way of destroying the buildings or tanks on the other side of the wall/turrets on their own... Breaking up the roles of getting past defenses, and smashing up the buildings/machines behind those defenses makes perfect sense. It means that, ideally, every squad would have one scout to breach enemy defenses via blasting the walls / disabling the turrets, riflemen to deal with other infantry, grenadiers for tanks/buildings, and/or engineers for anti-building things.

Making engineers the primary anti-wall/turret class, or grenadiers a primary anti-turret class, encourages people to try and rambo past the enemy defenses using their own, knowing they can then try to blow up the enemy base with no support. If scouts were the primary anti-wall/turret class, though, people would want to work with them, and they'd want to work with other classes who can do real damage after the defenses are down. (Of course, grens/engineers can still be secondary anti-turret/wall classes, and once you already more or less control an area engineers should be the ones who tear down any remaining structures. But I think the gameplay would be much better if scouts were the clear best at dealing with walls and turrets in a combat situation.)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  10. Dragon-Commando

Dragon-Commando Member

Thats odd, because thats how I took out a hiden sniper last night. he showed up as a box. Could be a bug, but I did see him because of the camera, and he never fired while I was there.

@emp_recruit.

I have played against you, and on the same team as you many times. I would not say you are the best or worst (definately not worst), but you are definately not a scout player.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  11. Tovarich Cookie

Tovarich Cookie Member

The fact remains, Krenzo has actually said that whatever happens, the scout is STAYING in the game. And the ranged rifle (ducks flaming cannonball) ... uh, sniper rifle is going to be replaced by a carbine. NF heavy rifle clone. YAY!

12. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Stop bitching about things that haven't been fully discussed and considered yet, we'll know what to do with the ranged rifle and its replacement when we've discussed it, and we'll have to see about telling everybody.

13. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

I sometimes love solokiller.. :D (not in that way dude).

14. Lord_Doku

Lord_Doku Member

carbine eh ? make it long range and pretty big though, that way people will think its super powerfull WHICH IT IS'NT and actually try to kill someone with it cuz srsly, the only people ive seen using the sniep in an effective way are Blight and some other dude who's name i dont remember.

15. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

................... I think I'm going to need to post the wikipedia carbine link in every thread.........