Remove the scout entirely from the game

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by -Mayama-, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

About as useful as the rifleman.

And slightly more fun in my case.

2. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

dude, the difference is that i DON'T think the scout is perfect, or even fine. at the moment the scout is mostly shit. i just don't think the scout rifle is the problem. there's so much more that can be done for the scout.

you're damn right though... they do know what they're doing and empires is great.

3. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

why not remove the seismic nades from the engineer and give them
    the scout.
    It would remove the anoying nadespam and would give the scout
    a nice tool to "sabotage" & decon stuff. Because he cant supply himself
    with endless nades there is no danger that he could sneak unseen
    into the enemy base and no one would notice the destruction until its done.

4. Zombified

Zombified Member

How about the scout gets the ability to use hide on vehicles he is in if they aren't firing or moving?

5. Blight

Blight Member

Damn it, I hate people who scout the whole time. They never ever won a game where I was in. They might snipe the odd player or even a commander once every 1000 games. Its just damn annoying to walk on isle, lose half your hp, get healed, get an apc with 3x stmg, easely spot the idiot sniper and wtfpwn him.

Ive sniped a couple of times with a friend, it was fun because in a pair you can kill players a lot faster. But every single time we lost. We stopped a few engineers on the east side that's all.

I hardly ever get helped by a sniper that sabotages the buildings, and if he tries a good engineer, grenadier or even a rifleman with enough grenades would have killed all the turrets by the time the scout reached the turret.

Also in close combat the scout is pretty much worthless if he has the scoped weapon. And most of them have. He will try to shoot you and lose stamina in the process at which point he is really fucked because any other class would have strafed to and killed him.

6. Dragon-Commando

Dragon-Commando Member

I don't understand how people can say scouts never win games, they may not take out the CV on their own or anything. But thats not the point to the scout class.

I singlehandedly disabled every turret infront of the enemy base, making way for an attack that completely devistated the base.
    I had it all planned, I even had a gettaway vehicle. I ran away in a jeep and came back to the battle in a tank.

The scout is a good class. I'll admit that it needs some work, like better grenades, but for the most part I've contributed to a win in just about every game I've played as a scout.

A scout can be good in a squad as well, as a designated marksman, I use the ranged rifle to pick out targets at a distance as my squad goes in to take out important structures.

One thing that might help is if people realize that you have to play tactical as a scout, you have to use the scout like a real military force would use it. That is either as a spy, or a designated marksman. If you play the role as either of these, you will be usefull to your team. Knowing how to is up to the player, and not everyone knows how to play a scout and be usefull.

7. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost

Maybe I'm just missing all these super 1337 scouts when I play or something but there are very few limited times where even an amazing player playing scout outweighs the opportunity cost of another engineer or gren. Killing a few infantry and sabotaging a few buildings isn't impressive if engineers of equal skill are killing more infantry, destroying buildings and building buildings.

8. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

what emp_recruit said. How many times does someone have to post this concept before people understand it? NOBODY is saying that scouts do NOTHING in Empires. They do something. They sabotage, they kill the occasional player, etc etc etc.

What people mean when they say that scouts are useless is that the affect that the scout has in a game is FAR FAR less then the effect that anyone else has. Spies? Gain information? ANYONE can spot targets. The engineer can plant a camera that spots permanetly (sp). And I guarantee you that a grenadier could rocket snipe every one of those turrets faster then you can slowly crawl from one to the next and sabotage them. And of course scouts have no anti-tank. The bottom line is that when you it would take two or three scouts to do the work of ONE of any other class. Therefore, relatively speaking, they are useless.

This game is all about effective use of manpower. Scouts are a relative waste of it.

9. Sherbie

Sherbie Member

Okay, I just wiki'd it, they call em pioneers here, but the real term is... "Military Engineers"...

... >_>

Aw crud. :|

10. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

The best sniper weapon ingame is a 3xstandart mg apc anyway...

11. Empty

Empty Member

Actually I did some calculations.

The 2slot 50cal is superior, takes up less space, fires faster, has a larger clip, is roughly as accurate, and weighs less.

12. Jäger

Jäger Member

no everyone knows the nuke is the best sniper weapon in the game you dont even have to hit them dead on...cause its a nuke....

13. Dragon-Commando

Dragon-Commando Member

You people still don't get it, an engineer would have been spoted and killed before he got close to the base, I got past their forward defences and destroyed their base defences. by that time my team had already taken out their forward defences and I had taken out the rear. We rolled over a heavily defended base like it was nothing.

You don't seem to understand the concept of intel and action. If you have more information you can act more accordingly to the situation. I as a scout completely destroyed any chance the enemy had of defending their base, just by scouting ahead and building a strategy.

I understand the tactical use of such a class, but you people don't seem to know anything other than run and gun CS gameplay. You don't have to get kills to be usefull in a strategy based game, which is what Empires is supposed to be.

14. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Try to aim on an enemy that is only 3 pixel big with 3standart and you will
    see what I mean :) 50cal has to much spread.

15. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I can, as an engineer, get close to enemy turrets, and use my own turret to take them out, by using tactics. If you don't know the tactics, you don't know what is good or bad. So don't say the engineer can't do what a scout can do.

16. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

The current hide is easier to spot than a standart model laying prone.
    If you sabbotage a whole turret farm and the enemy doesnt see the
    purple smoke he deserves to lose the base...

17. Dragon-Commando

Dragon-Commando Member

You still don't getting it, but what ever, its just a waste of my time.

18. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Look, players that played the game for like the first day it was out
    of alpha... told you that every other class is better in doing stuff
    than the scout...
    I mean how long is empires out? 2 years?
    They had enough time to find every trick and tactic in the game
    if you dont believe they are absolutley stupid...

19. Sherbie

Sherbie Member

Scout needs proper camouflage he can use while standing upright and running.

Maybe make it some kind of tool (he should get that by default) that toggles cloaking by pressing mouse1... changing to a weapon makes him visible again.

Charging up the camouflage would take a few secs so he can't pop out, shoot and put camo back on so fast.

Maybe have it make a subtle sound like in Dystopia, so you find those sneaky bastards if you really need to.

Or maaaybe just have the scout come with multiple uniform types he can choose in the loadout menue, like SNOW, VEGETATION or something

20. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Normative assumptions about how the game SHOULD be has nothing to do with reality. You are arguing with testers and people who have been playing the game for years. Go play for a month or two and come back and we'll talk.