Remove heavy tanks, and add more medium variants.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Chris0132', Oct 12, 2008.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

More like 'nerf the heavy into oblivion'. I think meds just work a lot better than heavies so I figured removing the heavy would be more logical than making it handle more or less the same as a medium.

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i think its a little silly that you can build heavies while mediums are still unresearched

whats heavy about it? THERE IS NOTHING TO COMPARE IT TO

btw, i would like 1 or 2 extra medium variants, like one with more machine gun capabilities

([​IMG]DOUBLE DU GATHLING TANK[​IMG])

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  3. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

the enemy meds? :)

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

but what if the enemies did not research it ether?

5. Omneh

Omneh Member

The heavy tank is heavy compared to the mediums that have not been deployed on the battlefield.

I always considered "research" to just be the mobilisation of existing technologies into the warzone.

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah it doesn't make sense that they'd actually research something in five minutes.

Unless it's just a bunch of drunk engineers sitting round the radar with a bottle of 20/20 going 'Whatif wha'if wha'if right... wha'if we go' like... one of the tan's.. right? and we made it... bigg'r?' and then the other guy goes '... You mean... pu' mor' guns onnit?' 'Yer... An' an'... we coul'... pu' mor' armor onnit an'swell.' 'Tha's a brill'nt idea tharris! Brill'nt idea...' and then they all pass out.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  7. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

make mediums the pre requisite for heavies, but heavies in the current research path or in the lower research path with more research time and money for them.

Or

In advanced machining, give upgraded armor tech, which either increases the weight limit for tanks, or adds 1 layer per side to a tank.

Give it a research that increases the cannon slots for all tanks by 1.

Give a research to increase all tank ML slots by one.

at the same time, remove heavies completely or only give them 2 slots instead of 3 slots, and force a team to research the 3rd slot.

8. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

why limit the commanders to one style? why force them to research meds first? You're just limiting the stategies available. The whole point about the choices in research is that you can go down a different route to the enemy. that's why we don't have a linear tech tree.

I'm all for lowing researched armour across the board, and even that would certainly level the playing field a tad.

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yea, i agree

10. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I agree with this. I you need fast better tanks, then research medium. If your light tanks and APC are strong enough to hold the enemy down, then research heavies.

For example the last time, when I was commander the enemy first researched artys. With some more skilled drivers, they could damage a lot of our base. So I had to decide, if I research medium to conter this or wait for heavies. So I waited and won.

11. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

heavies should really have another 3 minutes min added to the research time. Currently, you can have meds or wait 2-2.5 minutes for heavies.

in an hour long game, the heavies are out in the first 10 minutes, it's kinda retarded (in the proper sense of the word). Gameplay seems to rush right into a standoff. Either games need to be orientated to end in 15 - 20 minutes or they need to be orientated to end in an hour.

Other option is to have research times adjustable by maps. You can already do something like this by giving the research multiplier the opposite of increased speed (not sure if it's 2 or .5) in the .cfg for the map.

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You know you could add some sort of prerequisite system for chassis upgrades.

For example to allow meds to be researched, you need one armor and one engine researched, to unlock heavies you need to research meds, another armor and engine, and at least one weapon.

That would slow down the progression a lot and would make heavies more of a late game weapon, as well as removing all the stupid strategies like 'rush paper heavies' which aren't fun most of the time.

13. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

14. Jonat

Jonat Member

would also solve the arty rush people nowadays seem to be enjoying.

15. MooJuiceThaHater

MooJuiceThaHater Member

Heavys are either too powerfull or nerfed and pointless. Remove heavys.

16. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

or why not make heavys insanely expensive so you can only build a realy limited amount of them
    at the same time make them really that powerfull that they are game enders
    like one team has enough resources to barely build one or two heavy which are then just steamrolling the enemy defences that where too strong before

17. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Make them much, much slower and cut off one armour plate. Slow to accelerate and not much faster at full chat than a infantry sprinting and ideally require a driver and a gunner.

The problem isn't that heavies can deal so much damage, it is that they also have great survivability and that is because they can easily retreat and are soo heavily armoured.

They should play a role more like arty in that you need to know how to use them to make use else it is counter productive. They should be mammoth, fire and death spewing monster that everyone is afraid of, but require armour and infantry support to operate safely. Would encourage everyone to advance together, protect the big tank, etc. Likewise sitting in a heavy should be a pretty terrifying experience, being the focus of all the enemy attention. Being caught on your own in enemy territory on the battlefield in a heavy should be a death sentance from most things except a single gren.

So an optimal amount of heavies on the field would be about 2 or 3 and that one on its own would be destroyed by an apc and some stickies or a lone medium running rings around it.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  18. communism

communism poof

Could always make heavies glass cannons, would be nice.
    Also as AZK said, I cry a little every time a heavy outruns my light tank.

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Wurgh, don't remember this thread.

I'm actually kinda happy with the current heavy/medium balance, with the current research times both heavies and mediums are quite viable, mediums you can get much earlier, but heaviest are substantially better.

It'd be nice to make mediums match up against heavies, but the current balance is pretty good, not sure I could improve it. I see both meds and heavies used in game, and I also see meds vs heavies and lights vs meds if one team decides to get heavies while the other gets meds.

Stuff like 'make them slow' or 'make them expensive' just means 'make them not fun' which is kinda stupid.

It's pretty good as is I think, don't really need to change it.

Another thing is that this was written before the vehicle limit became irrelevant, and before the increased resources of recent versions, as it stands everyone can get a tank and everyone can get a heavy tank if your team has them, least everyone who wants one most of the time. So most of the points raised are now irrelevant.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  20. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Admin Necro! :skull:

I find that I agree with Chris' post above, but really I just made this post to do the obligatory Necro! shout. Blah blah /agree can't say anything good without repeating what was already said meh.