Remove heavy tanks, and add more medium variants.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Chris0132', Oct 12, 2008.

1. FN198

FN198 Member

remove heavy tanks
    utterly fuck up weapon balance until only one tank is viable despite the labyrinth of options

2. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

i think numerically superior mediums should be able to defeat heavies with the same research level.

3. Empty

Empty Member

how do you plan to get a number advantage in a game where you cannot possibly at any point in a correctly played round outnumber your enemy.

4. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I disagree, making them expensive doesn't change how much fun they are to play at all. Slowing them would make them easier to drive, I'm not sure it would be boring though, I mean arty still gets love even though they stay stationary and you don't even get to see your handywork on most maps.

Even if it makes heavies less fun outright it would make the rest of the game better and add some much needed variation to vehicle combat. They aren't so op now that they ruin the game, 2 meds should still ruin 1 heavy tank's day, its just that since res exploded everyone can afford to field a whole bunch of them which exposes them as having no real drawbacks, most other anti armour counters just don't work (mines, turrets, grens)

5. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

assuming that both sides has the same # of refineries. one side could decide to opt to build mediums that are cheaper to have a larger number... one side could decide to opt to build heavies that are more powerful/heavily armored to offset the larger number. The side that opts to go heavies, would have more players on foot/infantry.

numberical superiority > or < technological superiority

of course, if the map gives fast resources... theres no point in going medums. i will have to blame the map for making heavies the end game.

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

what azk said.

at least the retarded amounts of res are good for something - they show what im talking about since 2.2 ...

7. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

If we're looking to create variation, could we use the medium chassis and modify that?

Right now we have just one medium and that's it.

Could NF get a Missile Medium that had two 2-slot missiles and a 1-slot machine gun? Could BE get a Cannon Medium that has two 2-slot cannons and a 1-slot machine gun? Maybe both teams could get "nuke" mediums with one 3-slot missile and one 1-slot cannon (machine gun?). And that leads into a similarly equipped "rail" medium for both sides.

But why stop there? Maybe it would be cool to have an anti-infantry medium with a 3-slot machine gun, a 1-slot cannon and a 1-lost missile? Or possibly two 2-slot machine guns and a 1-slot missile (NF) or cannon (BE)?

Or you could simplify the entire process and just provide three generic 3-slot slots and say that only six (maybe five? four?) total slots can be occupied.

Who knows? Maybe removing heavies could actually add variation and strategy. Idk if I'm getting behind such a bandwagon, but it's certainly an interesting scenario. There are a lot of cool tanks that are impossible right now.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  8. flasche

nuke meds? dont get me started ...

9. ImSpartacus

I love how you can pull one quirky point out of an interesting discussion starter and just murder it. :headshot:

You'll go far. :D

10. flasche

look at my sig, im pro at this (at least at something)

btw, im against removing heavies, but they really should get nerfed in a way that make meds attractive not only because they are fast "on the fly" research. sure in a way it solved the issue of not seeing meds at all in a game, but after you got to heavies theres still like no reason why i should buy one ...

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Personal choice?

I'd like to see slow and expensive heavies, driving such a juggernaut of the field would be simply gangsta.

12. Krazer

Krazer Member

Nerfing heavy research was a much needed change, but that was not the only problem with heavys.

They are too fast, and too mobile. Don't give me this fun crap. Heavy tanks need to be slower.

13. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Call me stupid but to me these options sound very similar to heavy tanks in their current guise but with a little less armour plates.

IMHO you could remove heavies or better yet fix them. But one thing more than any other -

Q:How difficult would it be to test what effect removing heavies would have?
    &
    A: Not very difficult at all

Settle it with a handful of games sans Heavy tanks on a variety of maps and see what happens!

14. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

Many people in the past suggested that heavies should be a slow, moving behemoth... awesome fire power and armor, but slow speed, acceleration and maneuvering.

But some other people want fast action and dont want to take 20 minutes of traveling to get to the action. It's gratifying to see 4-5 light tanks wreck a heavy tank...

15. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Well i make those many people right - I mean, i get it - stuff should be fun but its not an arcade game. Lots and lots of things in Empires are laborious; try explaining to someone who hasn't played why you have just run for two minutes to stand around and discharge your calculator for a further 90 seconds!

For me challenge + reward = fun

You make a fair point but i still think Heavies should be slow, if people don't want to move slowly as a penalty for being the most powerful mofo on the battlefield then they can grab a medium.

16. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

make heavy tanks only buildable by the commander, that way, he can decide who will wield an uuber tank. while everyone else will use mediums.

17. Krazer

Krazer Member

Why is alucard not banned yet?

18. flasche

have you ever thought about heavies with reduced weight and armor capacity?
    so basically other then the 2xCN/ML slots its the same as meds so only 4 plates per side. imo meds go down just fine, they survive if you care. it would give heavies a considerable edge over meds (in the end the do twice the dmg) without making them too hard to take out as infantrists or with a bunch of smaller tanks (theoretically 2 meds).
    other armor layouts might be an interesting possibility too, like for example 6 front, 4 sides, 2 back. thought meds might really get better then ...

spartcus fantasies about nuke meds brought me on this, havnt thought it through but right atm a few minutes after getting up it sounds somewhat reasonable :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  19. ImSpartacus

I read the first few sentences and pretty much raged like no man has raged before. Then I got to the second paragraph... :p

So speed and armor are inversely proportionate. As armor increases, speed must decrease.

The ideal Empires tank battle is an open space with a shitload of tanks zooming around destroying each other. However, the heavy is too well armored to be allowed to go fast.

Solution? Use the medium.

But the medium can't pack enough power to really be helpful on most teams. Don't get me wrong, a Homing, HEC, BioMG, 3-Phase, Compo Medium is pretty well rounded, but it requires like 16 different trees.

It would be better to allow NF and BE to have Missile and Cannon Mediums respectively. NF is getting a missile anyway, so why can't they use it twice?

Maybe NE mediums could have one dedicated missile slow and one slot that can take both missiles and cannons? BE could have a similar Med for cannons. You get the best of both worlds!

20. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

that was a brutal link and you deserve to be caned

+1 everything flasche ever says ever