RC 16 Patch - Are We There Yet?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Krenzo, Jul 17, 2007.

1. KILLX

KILLX Banned

holidays are a good time for releasing things to BUY because of Christmas. For a free mod, it would be overlooked as the idiots run around like headless chickens doing their forgotten shopping.

2. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Yeah especially this year, with GTA 4, Bioshock, & Halo 3 on shelves among others, a free mod like Empires, would easly be overlooked.

3. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

so to get people to play we should charge money...

4. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

No, please. D:

But if you can have a game advertised on Steam, I'm sure some people would fund that.

Not me, not because I'm anti-paying, but because I'm poor.

5. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Only if it's retail..., but seeing as how this is a mod, no, like Slith said get some advertisments on Steam, but then spread out to other websites & get a few people to vist other forums & get them to try it by posting links & giving a brief description of the mod (Better if you're a long time member of the forums, as new guys tend to be overlooked).

6. Slithzerikai

I think a simple VGcats, FPSbanana or something of that kind advertisement slot should rack in a nice chunk of cannon fodder.

7. KILLX

KILLX Banned

mail a disc with final 1.08 to all PC game magazines 1 week before release

8. Slithzerikai

Oh shit, that's cheaper than my possibilities and way more effective, only downside is that they could easily dismiss it, since it's a mod.

9. picard131

picard131 Member

Steam
    Gaming Mags
    Webcomics
    Gaming Sites

Hit everything you can with a clear and thought out message explaining what Empires is, why it's so revolutionary, and that it's about to be released.
    Send with attached 1.08 final copy.
    ???
    Profit

10. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

just tell steam to put it on the news agian.. thats atleast 1000 new players right there

11. rat

rat Member

there have been some heated battles lately. this is the best mod ever, can't wait for the release.

12. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

The duststorm rock texture is ugly IMO.

13. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

yes... some very fun battles

but its custom.. and alot of other people like it :cool:

14. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

i like it... I admit that it's not as much of an improvement as the sand is. to be honest idk if it's an improvement at all. it's just different.

15. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Moving away from stock HL2 textures is a good thing.

16. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

I am getting more game 'Freezes' in this version. My game lockes up with repeating sounds and I have to Ctl-Alt-Del and then click on the game in my taskbar and load it back up, then I will disconnect me from the server. Ocationally it will lock up and I have no choice but to restart my computer manually. One thing I have noticed when Ctl-Alt-Del out to the desktop, is that most of the time I run out of Virtual Memory. Again this only started happening in this version.

17. picard131

picard131 Member

The same thing happens to me, or so I thought. Run it in a window and let it connect for a long time, it seems to be that it freezes WHEN you ctrl+alt+del. It takes a long time to connect, but it does.

18. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

You're sending your crash dumps into Krenzo right? Just think that every crash is a special gift from you to Krenzo

19. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Same thing use to happen to me. Just try to lower your texture settings to use less momory.

Well Ive let it sit for almost 20 minets and it never connected when it locked up like that on me... And when I end task I also get the error that dumprep.exe encountedred an error so I also never get a crash dump grrr its damn anoying...

20. Alud0s3

Alud0s3 Member

What soundcards do you have?

I always had that crash and hangup problem with all games that use the third version of the source engine and then i found out that it is because i use an ac97 onboard soundchip ( while browsing steamforums ). So the solution was really easy: I bought an x-fi soundcard and deativated the onboard soundchip in the bios. Now everything works fine for me, so maybe this problem is just the same, to find out just run the game with "-nosound", if this solves the problem, its a source-engine conflict with your soundcard and not a bug in empires.