Questions on a few things.

Discussion in 'Coding' started by Lazybum, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Empty

Empty Member

I just think it should go, it's another factor in the whole tanks being babies deal.

It's mainly the chokepointy maps, tanks are quite fun on maps like duststorm and isle, but on slaughtered it's very boring, possibly because of the density of tanks, maybe the lack of maneuvrability, or the fact that there's walls everywhere. It's probably a mixture.

All in all I think it's just kinda unneeded complexity that hurts people for being in a losing position in a tank fight. When you're already below your opponent on HP, the last thing you need is for more downsides to start kicking in like lower mobility, worse heat handling and shit like that. You're already losing, why do you need more factors killing you?

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Mmm, there's a few reasons. Like I said about people running at a drop of a hat, there's no way for damage to pierce armor so giving chase tends to be rather hard to do, especially in empires in some of the more bumpy maps, especially in choke point maps where you can't run after someone due to walls of other tanks in your way.

There's the argument that you shouldn't have gotten in that predicament in the first place by not overextending or whatever, but you are arguing that there should be more of that in general.

Still, some people feel like tanks should have more strategic value. That tanks should be a little less disposable.

3. Empty

Empty Member

I think if tanks were more powerful and less disposable they'd probably get used more aggressively. Particularly buildings are pretty much immune to tanks.

I understand the issues of say ML sniping VFs etc, but I think your answer to that sort of thing should be to intercept the tank sniping your shit, if he's been unloading on your buildings he should be low on ammo/high on heat so the advantage is in your favour, and if you still can't beat it due to research differences well that's just strategy and you should have done better.

4. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

If stalling is kept, there should be some sort of UI indicator, like the heat bar flashing.

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I don't even notice stalling. Just sayan.

6. Lazybum

Anyone know how to enable manual transmission? Or more importantly, what buttons to use to shift up/down? I'm hoping if I can know exactly when a gear shifts I'll have a better idea of how some settings effect each other.

7. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Nah, but let us know if you find it. I'd Google around a bit.

8. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

We used to be able to do it back in the RC days. It was fun and you could get shit loads more power out of climbing hills however in the heat of battles you could forget to shift and they opted to go for auto only.

9. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

I fuckin' want manual-transmissionpires. Make automatics an optional research choice (or do it the other way around)

10. Lazybum

Google gets me old post from drag in 2009.
    Couldn't really find much about anything from hl2 using google.

On the bright side I did find not so old thread. A post by candles was super interesting now that I have a basic idea of vehicle scripts. Especially considering how some of those values aren't in the scripts, though this might be because they are being used internally and aren't readily editable. Still, I'm going to try adding a couple, specifically these values have my interest.
    Code:
    	float		maxRevSpeed;
    	float		throttleTime;			// time to reach full throttle in seconds
    	int		gearCount;				// gear count - max 10
    Viroman also had quite a bit of good info in there. This one helps answers my question on max rpm.
    Code:
    //VM Notes:
    //* If you increase the MAXRPM and don't bring up the AXELRATIO it lowers total HP of engine.
    //* Increasing the MAXRPM increases time spent in each gear if you set shift up/down as you
    // would a normal vehicle. This could be bad since first gear has high torque and will
    // quickly reach max vehicle speed. Set the shift up/down low should do the trick. 

11. ViroMan

ahh you found the more complete version of the script. I think spart has it. After I gave it to him.. I promptly manage to loose it during the transition to my SSD.

12. Lazybum

What's that? Sparts holding out on me? Aww, why you gotta do dis to me?:(

13. ViroMan

was that quote of mine not from the script? I know the version I gave you didn't have that. Spart has the version that has more notes on it.

edit:
    shit son I went and used win search and found it since I remember the name of the file.

Note: some of those commands don't work(or I didn't notice a difference) in empires but, do elsewhere since I got them from other vehicle scripts.

edit again: ohh look I found an even newer one, I duno if spart even has this. Minor extra notes and commands...
    and as before... you need to change the "material", "skidmaterial", and "brakematerial since you don't have my awesome surface property file.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  14. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

Actually, if we ever do the second seat person controlling the turret, then this is how it should happen. It would add some complexity to make up for what is lost, and would be interesting.

15. Lazybum

Oh wow, that's a lot of useful info viroman. I know I have to mess with shift timings, but that airdrag looks like it might hold some promise if I'm trying to limit people hitting top speed. Currently it doesn't look real easy at all to make accleartion play nice as low speeds when top speed is like 30 if I still want them to climb hills.

throttleTime; works and is kinda neat to play with, if the time is short it can almost feel like a stall action, setting it higher makes it feel like how I actually want, a gradual speeding up, but there's too long of a pause at the beginning and you can't go up hills unless you hold the handbrake to get the throttle up. At least with heavy tanks it doesn't want to go up hills if the time is anymore than 1 seconds.

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Just want to say that stalling is a bad mechanic. The reason is that it's too short to really predict, realise when it's happening, and to properly factor in to anything. It's not usable as an offensive tactic or a feature of any kind because of its tiny presence.

If you want to actually use stalling, you have to change or increase the effect so that people understand it and can use it/have it used against them, or you should just get rid of it. Right now, it basically seems like command lag and that's pretty much what it's always seemed like to me. If I had to wait for a heat bar to dissipate, or my vehicle careened to the side with steering loss or skidded, then I would understand it. As it is, it's pointless.

And while I'm not advocating doing weird things to vehicles, if it's possible to set stalling up to do something more interesting that might be a way to go. Otherwise, if you can get rid of it, it's probably better.

17. Lazybum

I'll say again, almost nothing really stalls in the base game. Not unless you hit the hull really.

You can't change the behavior of stalling in the scripts in any way either. Only thing you can change is what damage it takes to make an engine stall, one value for armor hits and one for hull.

You can reduce throttle as you lose armor or health, it would be less like lag and more of a slow feeling.

18. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

Again, if stalling is not removed, there must be some sort of UI indicator, like the heat bar flashing. A feature without any obvious indication is not a feature, but a bug.

19. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Honestly the whole heat system needs to be revamped. Unfortunately it's more complicated than you might think.

20. Lazybum

Due to strange stuff in the vehicle handling scripts I honestly don't think I can make decent heavy tanks that have a slower acceleration. For reasons unknown I only have 2 gears to play with, so I can't do much at all with just that. Not at the speeds that heavy tanks go at, they are just too slow to have it feel like a natural transition while still being able to go up hills.

Oh, but there's some other settings that I can play with, maybe there's hope after all.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015