Questions on a few things.

Discussion in 'Coding' started by Lazybum, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

One thing is how to get changes to tracers to affect other players. I assume this is all I have to change.
    Code:
    "Tracer Type"			"tracer_du" //Tracer effect, tracer names are logical, a list: tracer_du, tracer_bio, tracer_he, tracer_rifle, tracer_smg, tracer_vehiclemg, tracer_cg, tracer_plasma

Except when I do change that it'll show up as normal rounds, I think it's tracer_cg because that was what it was originally, to other players. It'll show up as whatever you set it to for the person using it though.

Another one is there a way to hide a chassis? Unlike vehicle weapons were you can put some nonexistent research item to hide them vehicles show up in the vf menu anyway.

I suppose this is a good thread if other people had small questions on scripts.

2. Empty

Empty Member

I think tracer_1 is the infantry tracer, not sure though.
    tracer_cg is the big chunky yellow piece of shit.
    I really should redo tracers.

EDIT: Surely the research things should work for chassis, how else would med tanks and heavies be hidden. Command vehicles are also not available.

3. Lazybum

Well that's the thing, I changed the research names and had a different chassis point to that, that's all working fine. Medium and heavy tank research is still on the respective chassis's though and those show up in the vf menu without anything researched.

The reason you don't see the commander is because it has a commander flag in the scripts. Changing that to 0 makes it show in the vf menu, though my game crashed when I tried to build it.

I mean for my purposes I can just get rid of them in the vehicle_chassis script, or even just replace the contents of the heavy and medium tank chassis. I just wanted to keep them as a reference, and also so empires doesn't overwrite them when it updates.

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I'd advise doing any testing on the SVN repo. It's much easier to control updates that way and you can go play a stock game on a whim.

That reminds me - have you pubbed lately? I can't recall playing with you.

5. Lazybum

Oh, that's a good idea. Though I can't do that currently, I'm not really using my computer, so I'm kinda limited in what I can do.

You're right, I haven't played a normal game in about 3 weeks I think. I'm not around during weekends anymore so I miss all the big games.

6. ImSpartacus

:( I thought it was because you didn't have a stock install available.

7. Lazybum

Well I didn't have empires installed at all for 2 weeks. So your kinda right there too.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  8. Lazybum

Code:
    Vehicle_NF_APC

"Type"			"9"		//which vehicle type this is 0=jeep, 1=apc, 2=tank, 3=artillery, 4=anti-air
    I was messing around in the apc scripts when I noticed that, what does type effect and why is the apc script currently say type 9?

Oh, I found it. It's using the values in the engines.txt. Well that was easy.

Now I have a different problem, heavy tanks only ever seem to use 1st gear. I tried messing with gear and axel ratios, rpm and shifting. None of it seems to affect it in any meaningful way.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

engine script overrides shift timings/hp/rpm in vehicle script.
    The attached script is my "fuck trickster jeep" it has a ton of things empires vehicles didn't use before. It describes things that we didn't know either. Its not nearly as complete as my original was but, that boat sailed and got torpedoed with an underwater nuke.

ohh before you try to use it...
    Code:
    "material"        "Tank_Treds"    //"jeeptire"    // tire surface properties 
                "skidmaterial"    "Sliding_Tank_Treds"    //"slidingrubbertire"    // surface properties when sliding
                "brakematerial" "Braking_Tank_Treds"    //"brakingrubbertire"    // surface properties wen breaking
    default them back to the originals since you don't have my awesome surface properties. so it should look like

Code:
    "material"        jeeptire"    // tire surface properties 
                "skidmaterial"    "slidingrubbertire"    // surface properties when sliding
                "brakematerial" "brakingrubbertire"    // surface properties wen breaking

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  10. Lazybum

Thanks viroman, that's been proving helpful. Now for more questions.
    Code:
    		"Stall On Armor Damage"		"100"	//stall the engine when this amount of damage to armor is received
    		"Stall On Health Damage"	"60"	//stall the engine when this amount of damage to hull health is received
    What exactly is happening with stalls? I have a real hard time testing out this due to needing to have someone drive and shoot them, though now that I think about it something with a huge explosive radius and having high health could help me test values better, but that's a real pain so hopefully someone can answer before I go to such lengths.

I tested it once with spartacus, at most I could gather it does nothing if someone is already going full speed due to the vehicle coasting for a bit. So I assume the stall duration is incredibly short, short enough that someone will be able start accelerating again before they slow down. I was hoping damage received would scale how long the stall duration lasts, but that didn't quite seem to be the case. Is all what I just said true?

11. ImSpartacus

I honestly don't know how those work. However they work, it's not useful enough for me to care. Engines are depressingly boring.

12. Lazybum

For my uses, I'm kinda relying on them a bit, so I want a better understanding if I can get it.

I won't disagree about engines being terrible to deal with, it's like going to get an eye exam and trying to tell if something is ever so slightly better. Need dat perfection though.

13. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

As a driver you couldn't give a shit about stalls if your already driving. As a driver you are shitting all over yourself if your trying to accelerate and are stalling.

Honestly I would rather see a 1% hull dmg = .5% drop in acceleration ability with a max drop of 50%.

50% hull left you loose 25% of your acceleration... something like that.

14. Lazybum

Well I wanted there to be a small impact even if you have armor. That hull damage thing is something I will also be using though, I just don't know exactly how it scales with the values in the scripts.

15. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

If you take that much damage in a hit, you stall out for half a second.

16. Lazybum

Oh, that's not much time at all. I wonder why I notice it so much when using 3phase though?

Hull damage it is then.

17. Empty

Empty Member

Can I just point out how retarded this mechanic is.
    It's so short you barely notice (if you're new) and it just kinda hurts people trying to run away or push forward. Everyone says tank combat never ends and this is one of the reasons why, you try to push and it's like fighting molasses.

I really don't understand this shitty feature.

18. Lazybum

On the bright side not much can actually break that 100 damage break point for most engines. 3phase is the only one that's really low enough to even stall it with armor, but it's still more than all missiles at least. It's different for hull hits, but I feel like stalling is a good thing at that point. I just hate not being able to finish a fight because of how easy it is to run.

19. Empty

Empty Member

I think the lack of fleeing capability hurts aggressive play actually. You can't pull out of a fight you shouldn't have started, so people don't usually start those fights and that's why we end up with 10 tanks being too gunshy to push forward.

20. Lazybum

Bio diesel has a value of 200 for armor and health, so nothing can stall it short of nukes. Yet people will play just as defensively with it anyway. I think people just don't want to lose a tank.

Honestly, you or spartacus could give them an astronomical value that nothing can stall it and games won't change much.