PUG Signups [Sat 9/Feb 2000GMT]

Discussion in 'General' started by A-z-K, Jan 19, 2013.

1. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

LordDZ <3
    Thanks for commanding.

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Even if A-z-K didn't mean to do it, 38-48 players is where Empires plays best. Some people argue it's more, some people argue it's less. Those people are also wrong.

38-48, always. I may even ask Vicki if she's willing to agree with me to drop both our servers to that playercount.

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

It only plays best when you can actually join and play.

I finished the reinstalling like 2 hours later

4. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Wouldn't that make anyone who wants to play but, the server is full(like that's going to happen) just leave since they can't join and would rather not sit in a different empty and probably shitty ping server?

5. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Do not question Trickster's genius.

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

In fact, dont question period.
    Empires is descending into african dictatorship mode.

7. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

8. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Yes, support da glorius TDR!

Else you are not getting anymore proso millet of the next month.

9. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

for PUGs that is.

On PUB some people are always unassigned/spec or just suck and contribute nothing to the teams. So out of 54 players you end up in a game of 34.

Yesterday was plain horrible: Imagine you are honourably invited into your favourite swinger club. You put on your face masque and you can already hear loud screams of joy, as you approach from the parking lot, but the entrance door is locked. You stay on the cold outside, alone, crying, naked. :pathetic:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  10. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

11. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

About 44-48 active players is around the right size for a server IMO, obviously in Pub games this means the server player count should be somewhere in the mid - high 50s due to the amount of specs / unassigned.

For the newer players, the server size limit used to be 48 players in earlier versions

12. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Yes, it's disappointing that we were all supposed to invite a bunch of people, but then the server can't even hold the people that actually came.

And to really drive a nail into the heart of this pug was the map switch. Teams were fine on District, but once we switched, some of the locked out players managed to join the server.

So now you have some players that weren't assigned teams and they are taking up server slots for players that properly joined and actually have teams. That destroyed the game balance.

But I did like picking teams live during the district match. That's a good low key way to pick teams. Next time, I would liked to see teams picked faster. It felt like it took at least five minutes just to pick.

13. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Yeah it was really shitty I'm annoyed with myself for being so absent minded as to not even consider the max player limit before then, I've just been really busy in the past week. My only other choice was to postpone it for an hour which I wish I had done now. I'm as disappointed as anyone, I spent ages :(

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  14. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Now that we all have reminded us again, what not to do, we can be awesome again and do great at everything :|ove:

15. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Seems like I need to host another pug :3

16. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

The fags who kept changing their name didn't speed up the process that's for sure.

The lack of slots was annoying, yeah. Why did we even play on Viper?

17. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

In the future, if a pug hits a server player cap, would it be possible to change the password after teams are chosen? You could tell the new password to everyone in the server (and only them). So teamless players wouldn't be able to snipe player slots during map change and teams would remain intact.

18. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

That is a very good idea. I sorted the problem with not being able to change the player cap now. the worst thing is it was only for that instance, all the other ones I had no problem with

19. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I don't enjoy one sided matches at all, especially when you have some of the best on your team. Its not fun.

20. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

The problem really didn't lie in the 42 player cap per se; as, only 45 people signed up (and of those 45, many didn't show up). Many unannounced people just decided to come play, and they locked out people who legitimately secured a spot.

This whole idea of "team-picking" was also poorly implemented. People got bored when the team selection took about an hour, and started to leave, and Herbie's team ended up routinely being about 4-5 people short. Furthermore, this whole idea of picking squad leads in advance fell flat on its face. Coupled with the fact that many squad leads simply didn't show up, the faulty team organization meant that squad leads were picked impromptu anyways. For instance, on the one hand, on Canyon as BE, Foxtrot squad went north with Security, Frax, Nihia, Predator, and YouzY, such that we had a squad with three squad leaders. On the other hand, I led Government squad in south with Fishstick, Hermit (at least I'm pretty sure that's who DEA was), Rex, and some guy named "Darkfisting", such that we had no designated squad leaders at all in our squad.

In the future, I suggest we stick with the tried-and-truer method of having everyone simply autoassign, or we come up with two designated teams of about 50-60 people and play PUGs from that (similar to what was done, I am told, in early 2009).