PUG Signups [Sat 9/Feb 2000GMT]

Discussion in 'General' started by A-z-K, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Why the fuck is everyone hating on A-z-K. Fuck you guys, it's shit like this that makes me not even want to bother with Empires in general. Do you have any fucking idea how utterly time consuming it is to try and throw one of these, to try and get good games.

Let me make something extremely clear. If you don't enjoy it, get the fuck out. You won't be missed. Seriously, I am sick of this entitlement bullshit that some of you guys put out. It's so fucking pathetic. If you guys had been more supportive, instead going "yeah this didn't work out, maybe next time try this:" instead of "omg u waste my precious time u suk fuck off and die" when, let's be honest, your only other plans were masturbating by yourself anyway, then maybe shit will progress. Maybe next time, we won't have these problems.

So cut out the entitlement, self-centred "YOU SHOULD BE HONOURED WITH MY PRESENCE" bullshit. I won't put up with it, whether or not it's my pug. The next time we have a pug, even if I'm organising it, and we're overpopulated, I might just remember the assholes who bitched after previous pugs and have them make way for people who actually deserve their spot.

2. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

everyone

:(

3. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

You should be honoured with my presence.

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I can't speak all too well since I couldn't join (less about the playercount and more about me needing to reinstall) but this whining is indeed pointless. Still, this incident will simply be forgotten about and in two months' time the cycle will repeat.

However, A-z-K did so much more than your average person and thus he should get some appreciation.

So, I appreciate your efforts, you gave me an excuse not to go to a party ;)

5. BroT

BroT Member

Fixed.

A-z-k did well, no reason to insult him at all. I actually liked his plan about emp_duststorm (wookie iz spy!): Great idea, never seen someone before actually taking time to plan some shit ;)
    Thank you for you efforts.

Nevertheless, we should pick teams before the pug starts (imo) to keep the start of it as simple as possible. If someone joines wrong team: Tell him. If he refuses to change team: Kick then.

Destroyer farted, so I have to put on a gas mask :gasmask:

6. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

No. I'm just an idiot, when tired and multitasking :pathetic: and can't apologize enough for that mistake. I meant to spam teamchat :cry:

Regarding PUG-molesters: Allow them to play on paradox' PUGs only.

Regarding server slots: Whoever thinks it's easy and just a simple change on console and a restart and AZK is to blame for not getting it right, can go fuck himself. Go work in IT support for 2 years, then we talk about simple changes on foreign servers :|ove:

7. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Did someone actually do that?

The genius does realise that the default values are loaded from server.cfg when the server is restarted / map changes. Anything you enter into the console will only persist until map change / server restart

8. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

You should be honored ny my lack of presence.

I didn't sign up or attend myself, but I still give big props to AzK for setting it up. He's the real OG.

9. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I didn't find any entry for it in server.cfg on any of the servers we are running, on Viper at least it is set as a parameter when running the server application.
    Which should be simple, kill the application & run it again with a different parameter/switch at startup.. It was complicated by the fact that the server applications are run by a third party tool which runs them as a service so they can be managed and monitored through a interface. The startup paramaters that affect +maxplayers, IP & port, etc are defined within this tool. But I wasn't able to edit the profile particularly for the PUG server instance, it spat me out with an error.

All the other servers I could edit fine, I could have changed max players on any of the others in a moments notice as I did recently on the 1v1 server a few weeks ago.
    Its not possible to run the servers manually from commandline for a number of boring reasons. Anyways its sorted now thankfully. Was just really bad luck I guess. Of 6 servers configured only that one was broken.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  10. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Yep your right, epic has the same setup but some of the servers (test server) max player count can be changed by editing a batch file before launching the server (its run outside the service)

11. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I appreciated being to play in the event for one round, but the people who I was playing with didn't seem to care what was going on. From my understanding, pugs are the games your supposed to take seriously.
    But it looked like everyone was goofing around when I was playing, already given up at that point I guess.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  12. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Trickster chillax, we all love each other and appreciate the work azk has done, but it's still like empires community

13. Reznov

Reznov Member

There is no more good in empires. Just assholes and egoists. Thank god for ARMA2 physics engine.

Also AZK, why didnt you ask anyone to do the server management in the 1 month of preparation? Also why was there more than 42 players at the pug? What was the point of the signups, rules and list of players in the first post? This felt like a pub game... a very awful one.

Idk why you guys even try to organise pugs in the first place if there is just no success in sight. You guys are just not strict enough which leads to shit like that. I want pugs to happen, yes, but if this stuff keeps happening then my hopes are gone.

Btw, it is not just AZKs fault (whoever thinks he is not guilty at all is just being naive), it was the pug players fault aswell because they made this bullshit happen (stacking,overflow of players,no help).

14. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

You volunteering to organise the next one Reznov?

15. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Bah, let it die already. Lesson learnt, if I ever try again I'll make it much more simple. Disable spec, enforce AA and let everyone sort themself out.

I'm not saying I didn't make a mistake but it should have been simple to up the player count there and then but it wasn't for unforeseen reasons, its not like I've not done it before. All the other settings on the server I'd already done. I'd worked every day for the past 3 weeks preceding it and worked an 11 hour day before I arrived, TBH I'm totally indifferent about it. If people had shown one iota of patience I could have probably postponed it for about 20 minutes and fixed it. At least 30 mintues of district was because people arrived late and then goofed off. it wasn't all that bad, I don't want to make out that every person that turned up was an asshole, plenty more people were accomodating and helpful.

Eitherway theres alot of things I could have done better and like I said, lesson learnt for next time. One seemingly little problem just snowballed and once a few people jump on the drama bandwagon its pretty much fucked.

16. Paradox

stacking? herbie picked teams so did azk.

17. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

So, you think this is the main reason that caused stacking.

Are you serious?

18. Paradox

saying "stacking" implies we as the people that intended the pug intentionally stacked, no we didnt, herbie just outpicked azk theres a difference.

FAGGOT

19. Neoony

Neoony Member

Thank you A-z-K :)
    So sorry I couldnt make it on time. :(

20. Reznov

Reznov Member

I hope AZK volunteered because he wanted to try it out. Nobody forced him. It is like someone telling me to command because he sucks at it and he wants me to do better but I just don't want to.

I don't have good contacts with any of the old vets + new players. Neither do I have time cause of vocational school.

I am just saying it was a bad "pug" because AZK had no experience although he organised it well enough yet much was missing. So technically, yes he is at fault but it was predictable.

No one without experience can organise pugs at first but you learn by making mistakes like these. I just point out some of them and ways to correct them. Dealing with this community is difficult so my harsh behaviour has its reason.

Now stop crying about my opinion and deal with it.

@Paradox:

Did you see the teams that played in duststorm? It wasn't even close to the ones they picked, instead it was stacked.