Planetary Annihilation

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BloodRaven, Jun 15, 2013.

1. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

If you are interested its $40 on humble store.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/planetaryannihilation_storefront

I wont be buying it myself but thats just me, for all i know it could be an awesome game and worth every penny. But theres no way im paying that amount for a non finished game

2. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Waiting until that game is even done before I decide to start doing research.
    I will do my usual vidya thread when it comes around to me, I like base building rts.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i watched some letsplays and it looks very similar to supcom1 (whod have guessed right ^^). as far as i can tell the economy works pretty much the same.

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Yup, that's exactly what the devs want.

If the devs are so insistent about keeping people from their half finished game, then you probably should heed their warnings.

5. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Ok, thanks for the info guys, i will wait until it's in better shape.
    Meanwhile i'm gonna try Europa Universalis 4, can't resist a good deal.

6. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

TA was a very innovative game for its time. First one to provide regular free updates and continuously adding new characters. The owner decided he cashed in enough and fired all the developers, leaving the cavedog game hosting server up until it crashed then turning it off. Screwed everyone playing the game. The chief designer went into make other games - supreme commander. The guy doing Planetary Annihilation made the TA engine but Chris Taylor was the brains behind the game.

It would have gotten redundant but they kept adding characters and maps, which made it great. Kinda like what happens with empires today :)

7. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

The hell do you mean by free updates?!

TA is one of the first games ever to try to go for a cheap cash ins with addtional weird ass packs.
    Also, wtf are characters. In TA universe pretty much the only real living people are ARM commanders.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  8. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

By free updates he may be referring to the fact that you could download additional units for use in game for free, as well as maps. They did regularly release free downloadable content. Which doesn't sound like much, but to me that was awesome. Also, it was a lot of content. I think they officially came out with enough so that it was 150+ units without having to purchase the expansions - which themselves added enough to keep me happy (especially Core Contingency - CORE forever, death to the ARM rebels!)

As for characters, he may be referring to Supreme Commander, which had many - my favorite being Dr. Bracken of the Cybrans. In Supreme Commander, the Cybrans were my favorite faction. Supreme Commander 2 made me especially happy, the ability to repeat build queues pretty much solidifies it as my favorite RTS game to date - if lacking in some areas. I absolutely despise the micro aspect that some people enjoy in games like Starcraft, and no game removed certain aspects like having to keep tabs on all factories all the time to continue production until SupCom2.

As for Planetary Annihilation, I backed it for $20 and have tried it, I'm not particularly happy with it. However, it is fairly polished now and gameplay is certainly unique. I don't like the controls for scrolling around the planet or in between planets, but I haven't changed much of the settings and fiddled with it yet. It's much more like Total Annihilation than it is like Supreme Commander.

Yes, I'm a Total Annihilation/Supreme Commander fanboy, what you gonna do about it?

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

This actually looks like a pretty neat idea. I'm a scrub when it comes to rts games though. Only games I liked was the age of empire series and red alert. empire earth was pretty cool too, felt a lot like age of empires but expanded. Is this game as simple to get into or is it a whole lot of micromanaging and multitasking? That kind of stuff was one of the reasons I couldn't get into Warcraft, you had to grind up a hero while you played a rts at the same time.

10. BigTeef

What kind of RTS do you look for?

Base building and Army controlling?
    Empire managing and directing?
    Or simple tactical shit with groups of units?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  11. Lazybum

The first one I suppose. I rather like making bases and accumulating giant armies to wreck the other team. Actually now that I think about it is just base building and researching new tech that I really liked. Probably why I thought Evil Genius was great. I know that isn't a rts, but it does exemplify what I like. Still, commanding big armies and blowing up bases is always fun.

If empire managing can mean like a 4x game, the only one I tried was aurora I think. Didn't care much for that.

I want to say I like the small group tactic stuff, but I am thinking of things like Final Fantasy tactics or fire emblem. Which is turn based tactics. The real time stuff like xcom Apocalypse was a bit too much for me to handle.

12. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Well, you can get pretty large armies in Planetary Annihilation, and you can literally smash moons into planets. Also interplanetary nukes are a thing now, it gets pretty ridiculous.

It takes getting used to though, as your map is a sphere and navigating it can have you come back to your base looking at it 'upside down'. Really disorienting for me, somebody who makes bases in consistent patterns. Suddenly finding that pattern to be completely different is a little much for my tiny brain to handle.

It also doesn't help that I keep trying to play it like it's Supreme Commander 2, where I literally only played fully zoomed out where you see icons instead of units. I only ever zoomed in if I wanted to see explosions. What I would give for this option on all RTS games of this type...

13. BigTeef

Goood

Goooooooood

Alright ill make a list of games you should play.

1. Homeworld
    2. R.U.S.E
    3. Stronghold
    4. Advance Wars
    5. Dawn of War

14. Lazybum

Sir, I do believe Advanced wars is a turn based game. Also I beat all of them except for the second one, Blackhole rising or what ever it was called. Also thank you for reminding me I have stronghold. Now that is a base building game. Only sad part is how easy it is to defend a castle with a few archers and a pikeman or 2.

15. BigTeef

You listed turn based games you liked, so I gave you one I liked.

16. Lazybum

Oh I see, well thank you kind sir. Also thanks for that info senor, I'll keep a eye on it now.

17. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

From the "not old as fuck" group, you can try the last good cnc game, cnc3 and its expansion pack. You can see faggetry creeping its way in it, but its still boatloads of fun, at least before you'll be forced to go against scrin aircraft. Fuck the planetary assault carriers and devastator warships.

Also check out emperor battle for dune. Fucking kickass soundtrack.

18. BigTeef

I actually enjoyed Red Alert 3, it was pretty okay compared to what else I had at the time.

19. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Age of Empires II is a macro game, when you play online people make it a rule to not fight each other in the first half hour. Rise of Nations is also another macro game that has 4X elements, you can only play against CPU players because the game is pretty old, but the experience is a good one.

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

www.kamremake.com

I grew up on Knights and Merchants and was the happiest person on earth when I found that website.