Passenger should rotate without turret?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Private Sandbag, May 9, 2007.

1. KILLX

KILLX Banned

you should rotate with the vehicle chassis, but not the turret for immersion. in reality, the turret rotates around the hole your sticking out of

2. eth0

eth0 Member

Ditto, would be nice to see in next RC if trival.

3. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Does that make any sense to you? The turret rotates around the hole you're sticking out of? Does this turret also only have one hatch in the very center so that it doesn't disembowel anyone with their body out of the hatch? How does the loader reload the cannon if it's rotating all over the place around him while he's staying in one spot in relation to the body?

Did anyone think of how this requires teamplay? If you talked with your driver, you could tell him to not rotate the turret while you shoot.

4. eth0

eth0 Member

While i see Krenzo's point, motor driven turret don't move this quickly so at least should be speed-nerfed.

Also on the subject on teamwork can agree more, but in practice trying to quickly type "hey APC driver stay still!" doesn't really work: Lesson teamwork+mic = turret winnage :)

5. KILLX

KILLX Banned

when your sticking out the center hole, the your standing on the chassis under you, while the turret rotates around you, at least thats how reality works

6. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

But I still like to not all the time turn my turret veeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyy sllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwlllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to prevent the guy who's on top of the vehicle miss all the time. I WANT TO TURN MY TURRET AND KILL STUFF.

It's just so much easier when two guys in same vehicle can target their own targets in peace and not all the time say, hey turn there, turn there, stay still don't shoot I'll shoot and whatever.

Change it already, please.

7. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

How about making the people stick out of the hatch on the front of the tank? Maybe only for heavies only, maybe mediums included.

8. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

it shouldnt need to make sense.. its not fun trying to shoot out of a tank when the screen is moving around like crazy.. but then agian this isnt really a needed fix.. i can still hit stuff out of the top of a tank and when im the driver with a gunner i dont move the turret so he can get off clean shots

edit: lol i didnt read the posts and i pretty much just repeated what was alraedy said... doh XD

9. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I seriously doubt you're not gonna put your arms on the turret when sitting in the open hatch of a tank, so when it rotates your arms will be broken, or even pulled off.

10. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Of course that it makes sense if you assume that person in 2nd seat has "another stabilized" seat there. New technology crap, who cares it just better if you have stabilized seat. Teamplay? If you ask APC driver not to move the turret he won't be able to shoot. So either you shoot or he.

eth0 there's no need to slow down anything.

11. Bojangles

Bojangles Member

I have been wanting this since Empires was released! Make it happen please :)

I am sick of jumping in an apc to help out, only to have some dysphraxic panda swinging the turret round as i'm trying to kill the hoarding grenadiers.

12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

there's a difference between what's "realistic" and what's "fun"

currently, it's some of the first and none of the second.

it's also bloody useless. i want to have a machinegunner as a gunner and thing "WOW this guy is going to protect my tank" instead of "i wish this guy would get out where he'd actually be able to kill something".

13. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Please God!

14. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Since vision is tied to the turret, drivers have to turn the turret to look all over the place. It would be nice to have a free look toggle, such as space bar, to allow drivers to look around without moving the turret. I'm fine with the turret and gunner moving in that case

15. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

Currently (and rightly so) the tank weaponry far outweighs the infantry weaponry in terms of usefulness and power. There are exceptions, of course, like standard cannons and a grenadier, but this is the general rule of thumb, and it shouldn't be changed.

The problem with the turret-driver teamwork argument, then, is that the tank should NEVER put the turret gunner's priorities over his own. Because the tank weaponry is better then the gunner's, if there's an object the gunner is trying to shoot at, chances are, the tank can do a better job killing it. Why disable your own, superior weapons, to let that pea-shooter try and kill something, when you can just kill it yourself?

There is some chance that the gunner could kill infantry better then the driver if the tank is only armed with a standard machine gun. But with any other MG, I'd much rather try and kill the infantry myself then wait and see if the gunner can even hit the damn thing.

The only instance I could see of the gunner being better then the driver is if the driver had his priorities WAY off, like if he was shooting at a scout or a rifleman while another tank was pounding him. But if he's so bad that he can't determine what is about to kill him, he's probably not going to be able to coordinate anything with anyone.

The bottom line is that anyone who is using teamwork to pander to their gunner is going to seriously jeopardize the both of them. A chain gun or an HE cannon is going to be far superior to anything the infantry can wield, and I would expect nothing else.

You could, of course, slow the tank turret rotation, which would make tanks completely useless against infantry. I suppose this would make the gunner incredibly useful. But I'd rather not see my heavy tank get killed by a rifleman's grenades because he can run around in circles and no one would agree to shoot him for me.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  16. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

1)Honestly, what happened to the thread where you said "fuck realism"? (no offense meant)

2)Teamwork is for very coordinated teams that have microphones to tell eachother what's going on. Sadly, the average joe is going to try and get in the 2nd seat of a tank and randomly shoot wahtever he sees, but after 30 seconds he's going to realize it's utter foolishness to even try unless there is no driver.

The best comparison I can use for this is: Teamwork in a tank's turret with your average joe is 4 times less likely than another two average joe's getting an arty and going scout and then having the scout spot targets that the arty actually aims at.

I'm 300% for this idea. I would love to go rifleman with an AR and actually be able to be useful in a tank turret other than small-arms fodder for the other team.

17. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I guess the most annoying part is that your movement is tied to someone else's vision, not necessarily the turret or tank.

18. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

He was using realism to support his argument. I was explaining how his use of realism was incorrect in regards to this topic because realism actually supports how the gunner seat works now.

19. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

i think he means that he thinks you're being inconsistant, saying that gameplay is best in some situations, and realism best here.

20. arklansman

arklansman Member

I don't really see why this is such a big deal anyway. If you are so worried about your accuracy you shouldn't even be in the tank anyway. It's very simple to exit and reenter the vehicle.