Passenger should rotate without turret?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Private Sandbag, May 9, 2007.

1. picard131

picard131 Member

I agree with this. Joint Ops: Escalation had tanks with the driver, gunner, and commander working together, and they did it fairly well, but they had 128 player servers. We're looking at maybe 20 on a good day.

2. eth0

eth0 Member

Private Sandbag, you should have put a poll on this thread cos i would of voted with twelve "fuck yeah!"s.

Unless the design intent is that the turret position is a seated one then sign me up for prime-rpg position position baby! :cool:

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

this suggestion is too popular to pass.

4. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Well, maybe it could be an alternative for artillery tanks, one to move, one to shoot, this would make it slower. When unreachable it still is the most powerful weapon. People will just start taking things into consideration before artillery rushing.

5. Align

Align Member

What are you talking about?

6. Slithzerikai

Making the artillery tank a multiple person vehicle so it wouldn't be such a spam'n'go slayer anymore.

7. KILLX

KILLX Banned

did you forget the big "shoot me, i cant aim for shit when the turret turns" sign?

8. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

Now, making the arty a two person operated vehicle I can understand. Granted, I don't agree with the idea at all and I think it would negatively effect the game, but that's just an opinion and I can easily see how it could be a good thing on maps like emp_money.

The reason I disagree with the idea is ONLY because the games aren't large enough for multiple operator tanks. If a game had 20+ people in it, this could be an option. But as it is, 30 people is about all the server can hold, and I usually just see 10 people in game on average. A five person team could field one or two tanks, tops, which would be VERY boring.

From a control perspective, if I had a driver in a tank while I was the gunner, I could shoot WAY better (the same for the driver position.). So in that way it's a nice idea. But the small number of people in a match is just too strong a factor here.

Plus, Krenzo would have to reprogram the arty for two people and add some sort of arty turret, which would probably be a huge pain in the ass.

9. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I agree with the first post of this thread. I WANT TO HIT SOMETHING WHEN I'M ON THE SECOND POSITION OF A TANK.

And that artillery changing to two player vehicle. No no from me. I want to decide myself where I shoot and where I move because artillery has extremely limited view. Only forward with the vehicle, up and down. Also it has weak armoring so I would like to myself choose what I do with it.

10. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

Absolutely not! :headshot: on the seperate driver/turret operator. That would cause the same problem that exists with the chaotic x/y movement for the 2nd seat in armor. Imagine the driver having to move to avoid a nuke right when you get the turret lined up...like in red october...In theory it'd be cool...I guess..other than the fact someone is stuck driving the tank getting no glory no explosions caused... ? And I could hear somepeople fighting now... "You #### why'd you move omfg! ##!!# I missed and we died cause you moved the tank awwww"
    Now on the person being able to rotate independently of the turret...that'd be weird like a 2nd mini turret...cost another gyro crystal those are expensive... When I drive and we are in infantry situations where I need my gunner to get the infantry/gren whatever off of me I try all as I can so they can do their job and protect the tank by keeping the turret steady. Put it in the field manual under section of tank operation...Tank Operator: be kind to your 2nd man infantry gunner as he'll keep you alive when your as useless as a sleeping baby Keep turrets movement smooth and predicatble. 2nd Positition in the field manual: There will always be situations where the tank's gotta go get busy, thats when you get out of the tank and face fate you little maggot can't live forever, what do you wanna be a slackjawed pansy?
    :o

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  11. Slithzerikai

Would you prefer keeping the artillery tank as the "ender of games" it is now? I'm just trying to end the superb reign it's not supposed to hold.

12. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Nah, just change the Arty ammo to Concussion projectiles (which could go in tanks as well i guess) so that they destroy buildings as is their purpose.

13. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Well I beleave Krenzo was considering something where artilery had to deply to fire. Once deploid they could turn but not move forwared and back. Nother ever came of that though. But as for passengers rotateing withought the turrent I wish they would impliment. its so anoying trying to aim when some one else is jerking there mouse all over the place.

14. Slithzerikai

:headshot:

Also, What happened to that topic about making artillery ineffective to infantry, semi-effective to cavalry, and very effectie to buildings?

15. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

You know, passengers used to rotate without the turret, then Krenzo "fixed" it. So I don't think hes gonna change it back.

16. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I think that's because they didn't rotate with the body or anything, they just stayed still.

17. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

MEGA BUMP.

well it's just that everyone so seriously agree'd with this, i don't see why not.

infact, in IRC, everyone said they'd be more than happy if you didn't rotate with the vehicle at all... it would make firing out a lot more easier, a lot funner... promoting team play.. etc.

18. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Yes, that would be great. Infantry in the second seat would be useful for something.

19. picard131

picard131 Member

I like this idea. Rotating with the vehicle body might be better, though. Gives you a sense of being inside the vehicle without the jerky turret movements. And you could actually aim and fire at things outside the tank.

20. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

empires has horses?

Neigh!