nuclear dawn 4 pack

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Paradox, Aug 25, 2011.

1. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I just bought it. First impressions weren't great, hope I'm wrong or they fix some things.

Overall the combat is OK, visually everything is pretty engaging. Certainly looks nice, good HUD too.

But... I mean I thought that base seiges sucked for the loosing team in Empires. I played 7 rounds and every time at the end it was horrible. With no spawn protection it basically meant that as soon as I spawned I died. Nothing I could do at all. Just respawning over and over again to die within maybe a second because the enemy commander had spawned tons of near-indestructible MG turrets in our base.

Will give it another go because I must be missing something & its only a Beta, but yeah - don't think it's my cup of tea.

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Go have a soda.

3. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Heh, how could their gameplay be even worse than Empires'?

4. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Empires gameplay is honestly the best I have encountered in a game ever. None of the problems with the game are gameplay or concept related. The only issues are to do with minor bugs and a lack of development such as aircraft.

I have just purchased ND. I know it's going to suck, but I feel I have to try it so I can criticize it properly.

5. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Maybe we are talking about different things. Empires at it's core is a great game, that's why i keep coming back to play it. But part of the gameplay are also things like "get defeated in the most tedious way, because none wanted to comm", "your commander got plain heavies, because a heavy tank seemed a good thing to research", "while you are fighting 30 min on the frontline you suddenly lose because your comm got 9-mined", not to forget the boomtank-strategy that makes all the team's effort in vain in a moment. All this isn't good gameplay.

6. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Also it is much, much more like a turret defense/FPS game than RTS/FPS. They did a great job with their mini-map though i'll give um that

7. FN198

FN198 Member

actually mcgyver most of the our team was incompetent so we lost is pretty much the same across all games. the while you're fighting 30 min on the frontline and suddenly you lose because *9 mined? that means your team wasn't vigilant enough or didn't respond to the commander as they should have. maybe even the cmdr slipped. the scope though, the ability for these things to happen in empires and not in any other game is what makes empires the greatest. one player can make a difference, and one plus one is three. (empires is really the only game where team-play scales effectiveness at an adequate rate)

definitely a turret defense/fps. theres so little strategy it's shameful

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

With Empires, you have 10 shit games for every 1 good game. It just so happens that the 1 good game you get is, in my opinion, the best online gaming experience you could ever have. It just requires so much patience to get it.

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

You got mad when hopfi stickied your APC and got straight up nine points.

Twice.

Also I found dead island for 17ish EUR on an online store, 100% legit.

ontopic: I never felt like buying ND but now I'm certain I won't for a long time :rolleyes:

10. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

No, he didn't get mad because his apc got stickied, he got mad because no one got out to kill the jeep and the supposed vets just stayed in the apc when he was yelling that it's been stickied. twice.

Empires gets me so angry nowdays, can't play a single game without getting angry at someone/something. Shit I remember when my emp play time was around 80-100, how the hell did I manage that?

11. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

I don't like how gunplay devolves so much that looking from a corner guarantees
    that you will die almost instantly unless you're a siege which means that thousands of infiltraitors will just stealth up behind you and backstab you, remove guns for all of the other classes since they never make kills with them anyways.

12. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I beg to differ, the rifles of the assault class are pretty decent, tbh I find the nuclear dawn classes and weaps a bit more balanced then our classes and weaps.

13. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

I have been advised to purchase games online by "experts" now that the Norwegian Krone is "strong".
    Bascially, I am now able to purchase MW3 (should be overpriced at 59USD like usual) for half of what I'd have to pay a month ago.
    Just need to scrap some monies together and I'll get Nuclear Dawn too.

Nevermind, has it now.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  14. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

Welcome to consumerism, when a pop culture group with loads of viewers says a game is worth purchasing that means the marketeers can just pump up the prices. After all the public doesn't
    think anymore, why think when you can buy something that tells you how to think?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  15. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Okay. I have now played Nuclear Dawn.

The Sniper Rifle, without any deviation coded in, is pretty deadly as it is. I would go as far as to say that when people get quite good at it, the sniper will become overpowered.

The exo with a heavy mg seems to be pretty fucking amazing. It only takes a second of fire to take down most foes.

Scouts are just retarded. Invisibility recharges very quickly, tacked on top of the fact that it has a huge pool anyway meant that most of the kills I saw went to knives. I know scouts are slightly visible, but the fact that thy can sprint very quickly while invisible means even if you see them you can't really do much about them.

Commander seems pretty useless.

The idea of compulsory research, eg siege, means that an already tiny research tree just got even smaller.

I 100% agree that this is less Empires, more tower defence. Would not purchase again, to be honest.

16. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Remember, it is in the beta stage right now.

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I would buy Empires again.

@Predator
    I should have paid attention instead of chatting with friends even though I was an engineer and wouldn't have done much :(

18. FN198

FN198 Member

regardless, this is their vision and they will not deviate adequately enough from it to satisfy people who want a more sophisticated game.

19. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

^Pretty much this^

It is in Beta & I expect it will get much better. I expect they will improve some of the worst parts of the game (endless spawn camping, buggy menu overlays), balance, add features & flesh out the commander role more. But I am dissappointed with it for more fundamental reasons - I think it fails to produce a unique experience by combining RTS/FPS and thats what I was hoping for & expecting from the bold marketing hype.

The maps are detailed, very well thought out & colourful (unlike all the boring next gen brown/grey games of late)
    The FPS with the class differences is kind of interesting, but there are games with better squad based tactics, if thats what you are into.
    The "RTS" / building mode lacks strategy & depth

There is just a bit of a void between the commander & the troops. They don't interact or depend much on each other.

In Nuclear Dawn when playing in FPS I feel like I am playing just an FPS.
    In Nuclear Dawn when playing the commander I don't feel connected with the troops or the battle.

In Empires when playing in FPS I feel like I am playing... well Empires. Even as a rifleman it plays differently - I don't feel like engaging absolutely everyone all of the time.
    In Empires when playing the commander I completely rely on the team & they depend on me.

Empires takes what is basically a stylised but outdated FPS & a flimsy RTS and makes something special & on occassions truely exceptional.

Nuclear dawn takes a decent FPS & a straight forward turret defence/RTS concept and gets half way to making something really different, but kind of stops short. There are very good reasons for that. It is a commercial venture and you need people to actually be able to play after watching a 2 minute tutorial video, not after a week of learning the mechanics, maps & being shouted at by a bunch of trolls.

If you want a game that is a bit different to learn & pass some time then give it a shot. But if like me you were looking for a squad based+tactical FPS combined with the cerebral strategy of a full RTS then look closer to home.

Empires keeps its RTS/FPS crown.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  20. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I dream of what Empires could become if we had their level of engine access. Also, knives can kill people? I gave up because the hit reg on them was so terrible, I would knife someone 10x and nothing would register, even when they were stationary. But that was before the first patch.