nuclear dawn 4 pack

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Paradox, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I thought they fixed the turret HP thing in the last patch. If they did then you have no idea how bad it was before. But yeah, I like ND, it's got lots of potential, I'm just not overly keen on the way turrets are used, to secure areas and whatnot.

2. Krazer

Krazer Member

They did fix them, but compared to Empires it feels insane. Also yeah, thats the biggest problem I find turrets aren't there to support infantry they are there to lock down the map so you have to "siege" them for awhile, which is pretty lame.

3. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I played 2 ish hours today and everythig , except exos with siege, seems balanced imo. Siege kill turrets in 1 clip and a quarter, even kill most buildings with full ammo.

4. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Looks pretty decent, actually. Might get it.

5. Paradox

you should get it , play it, and if you dont like it ask for a refund, that's what I'm gunna do

6. FN198

FN198 Member

^haha he said refund

anyways from what i've played of the beta the game is just another cs:s clone with tower defense on top. if you like the idea of
    tf2 using insurgency-mod guns with tower defense on top
    go ahead and pre order.

not really an rts/fps but more of a deathmatch game with achievements and unlocks

7. Paradox

Hahaha I already asked steam for a refund and I'm getting it, haha in your face fn.

8. Trickster

Steam have been way easier with refunds lately, I got one on CoD4 when I accidently bought it when I was just going to get it free with MW3. When they added trading they also added steam wallet or something so they put the refund into that.

For £12 (I split a 4-pack) it's a solid game. It's relatively enjoyable, and I've certainly spent more than that on much worse games. I could quite happily play ND until I was fully levelled. But I doubt I'd find much reason to play it after that.

But I agree, the stuff about "The first RTS/FPS not to dilute either side" turned out to be fairly bogus. The commanding aspect is beyond poor, it makes even Empires look good from that perspective. It's so limited it's just pointless. The game is basically emp_eastborough.

9. Krazer

Krazer Member

The game needs vehicles and bigger maps.

Also auto build is useful but its too far to one extreme they need to make them build a lot slower, and have engies be able to build them up faster. Right now it's just dumb.

10. Paradox

anyone hating on having to click asymulator every single time? yeah I know,,,,

Anyone hating on fucking research tree that looks like balls? yeah I know
    Anyone hating on every fucking aspect this commandorking in ND is bout?

Commander is just useless in that game. I mean it's even more boring then in empires, YA CANT EVEN BOOMTANK

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

You bought MW3 over Steam?

It's gonna be 20 EUR cheaper in my games store the day it releases....

(Dead Island on steam 50 EUR vs game store ~23 EUR)

12. Trickster

It's £40 on steam, £35 at amazon, but I was going to buy MW1 anyway (played it pirated ages ago), and that was £10, so MW3 is basically costing me £30 given that MW1 comes free with it.

13. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Wait what is the point of the commander in that game if there's like nothing to research and no space to set buildings and no vehicles. All you probably do is set self building refineries wait don't they need a flag to cap? and then you just place raxes, but where in the world are you going to get a nice rax placed in urban maps. Nuclear Dawn talked shit about our lag compensation, and they said that bullshit about being non-diluting when in Empires the commander actually has an active purpose throughout the game, even if it's boring, and only Australians remotely complain about lag compensation issues.

Like seriously, when are video game companies going to stop saying their game is the best [genre] game. The fact remains that the game isn't even released yet, they always hype up the gameplay (even though it is non-existant because it is unreleased and therefore not properly tested) and they always say that it gives like full control and shit. It will be years before anyone notices that they need to stop creating Counter Strike clones, and to take a look at the reason why the first three Quakes were successful.

14. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

15. Krazer

Krazer Member

ND is like one end of the spectrum and Empires is the other, they are kinda hard to compare since they are so different.

Funny thing is you could take elements from both and make a far better game than either.

16. FN198

FN198 Member

nd is the more limited and heavily themed game, emp is the larger scale and more flexible game

and yeah you could take elements from both and make a far better game than either;
    take the art from nuclear dawn (no offense megel and co.) and the gameplay from empires.
    make the nd maps into empires conquest maps
    take emp_chain and other high res esque maps like insurgency and midbridge and use those as the classic maps.

and yes trickster. nd == emp_eastborough.
    thanks lamer for making a map better than an entire proprietary game.

17. Krazer

Krazer Member

The way they implemented stealth for scout/recon is very retarded. It really ruins the game.

18. complete_

complete_ lamer

cool beans

i watched a gameplay video and saw floating turrets (we're blood brothers).

19. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

There are so many maps to copy from Empires, why EB?

20. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Maybe they were looking for something between bearable (crossroads) and awful (district/money).