Nine mining removed in 2.2? Really?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tovarich Cookie, May 13, 2008.

?

do you WANT nine mine?

Poll closed Feb 6, 2011.
  1. Yeah.

38.1%
  2. No.

31.0%
  3. Really, i dont care.

31.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

If it was a feature, then why did it have damage much higher than it should be? Why didn't it show in testing that it could be used for exploiting, or that it did so much damage?

2. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I closed the topic because we agreed with dizzyone (long time ago) that it destroys the balance between classes. There was a discussion on IRC or maybe even in game and I didn't notice any new or useful ideas.

I don't really see any point in talking about it when it have been done already.

3. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I have no idea what you mean by it doing more damage. It makes a single mine explode as if someone stepped on it. It actually does less damage than if a vehicle sets it off.

There's no harm in discussion if no forum rules are being broken.

4. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Nobody has given a good reason to keep it in, we have a good reason to remove it and can directly employ the waste into in our opinion better balance.

Aslong as nobody can come up with a better solution it's removal is the best approach we have, even without compensating for the loss of 9 mine its a step in the right direction IMHO.

There are numerous ways suggested to compensate and we have talked about some, but in the end those IMHO are good ideas on their own to fix other issues, not just for the sake of compensating the removal of 9 mine.

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  5. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Do mines still chain explode.
    If one mine goes off by someone else, does all mines nearby explode?
    If so, then I'm fine with the deal.
    If not, then I'll have a big issue and will have to contribute.

6. dizzyone

#wecare

7. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Good thing I'm just trying to clarify what is being changed with nine mines.

8. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

I really don't see how removing 9 mining will make the game any better... :| I mean what happened to the tactic of sending someone into the mine field & being revived by an engy? (Kinda like comic that used to be in this ancient thread from 2006 )

9. dizzyone

What happened to making constructive posts with meaning? The kind of posts that acknowledges there being something said against it, not necessarily agreeing, but atleast acknowledging that somebody posted something and that it tried to give you an insight of why it should be removed.

"I don't really see how removing 9 mine will make the game any better..."
    Ok good to know I guess?

10. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

His meaning, as I took it, was: He has herd the agruements claiming that the game would be better without it, and he disagrees with all of those claims. He doesn't see any of those problems as actually existing.

If this were in the black hole section I could give an example that would clearly show his meaning, but I think this was fairly straight forward on it's own.

11. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Do they?

12. Pope_Homeless_XIII

They do.

As for "meaningful insight", Removing 9 mining means that you've basically gimped any chance for a losing team to turn the tide to their favor (Even if it's just for a few minutes), causing people to rage quit because there's pretty much no point. There are times where 9 mining is beneficial like when you accidentally drive your tank on a turret because your comm keeps researching 3 phase for some god awful reason, or you comm is really good but all of a sudden the cat comes along & before you know it your sound is muffled with watery sounds & you teams is gong "PERMA BAN!11!!11!!!!1 IMMA REPRT JOO!!!" & put you down in that Nazi list they've got going on in the BHM.

13. dizzyone

Ok so nothing new then.

Let me be constructive as well, since you bothered to write more than one sentence:

9 mining isn't the only way to quickly end a game, theres more than enough, a more effective way would be an apc rush. Whats the point in winning if just some random guy did it on his own? It wasn't teamwork, if you really enjoy winning, why not just code a button that pops up a message saying "YOU WIN!"
    Also if you had actually read the thread, you would have noticed I had already commented on this before anyone mentioned it, as in, yes we actually think things through! It's amazing, the human mind and it's ability to reason. :)
    You should try going back a few pages and read my post again. Like you would normally do when you join a discussion.

Rage quit because what? Because they lost a game? So you're saying that everyone who loses a game rage quits? Wouldn't the concept of "a game" fail if everyone would just rage quit.
    Or did you actually mean that people rage quit because of stalemates? So if we take your argument as it is, you're pretty much trying to shine through an imperfection in the balance of the game? Well let me go ahead and take this a step further, because the game is unbalanced, god forbid us trying to change it!

Did you try getting a jeep, or firing your cannon to get unstuck? Or maybe even asking the comm to push you, or another tank, or maybe recycling the turret, or what about leaving the vehicle and going on foot.
    9 mine should stay because it's a "tool" to unstuck your vehicle? Why not just actually have a tool that unstucks your vehicle, its sounds like a weird way of fixing "getting stuck." it's definitly creative, letting your grenadier take all that trouble, but I dno, it just sounds like a pointless argument.

The last sentence is all gibberish and I doubt it makes any sense whatsoever, either way it has nothing to do with 9 mining or the english language. If you meant that the comm suicided and you were able to fish it out of the water with mines, i'd congratulate you on your creativity, but seriously, you would expect us to counter this argument. Admins are there to prevent griefers, or better yet, for players theres votekick, beg your server admins to install a votekick plugin.

14. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

AHAHHH!

15. dizzyone

Shows ignorance, arrogance and lazyness to me, but maybe we're not on the same interwebs.

16. Pope_Homeless_XIII

It's a forum, long reports are for school & I still see no good reasons on removing it either, Yes I have read the thread, & Yes there are no valid reasons on removing it.

As for last sentence; THIS LIST <--- Right there, click it.

To me 9 mining is a feature that, in a way, gave this mod a way to keep things interesting in the long run, kinda like finally learning how to properly bunny hop & not lose speed . Personally I'm not liking this whole "It has to make sense" ideal that you guys are pushing around, basically sacrificing some of the more fun aspects of this mod for "realism" & driving this mod one step closer to just another generic FPS.

17. Empty

Empty Member

It was m00tant's call, ask him why he doesn't like it, the other devs probably don't really care, but when the lead dev says no, they're expected to agree [Unless I'm mistaken]

18. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Thats true, in many games 9 mineing is the only way, for the losing team to win.
    I dont see a reason to play a round thats lost behind hope and im only here to
    stupidly entertaining the wining team because the only thing I can do is throwing
    my digital live against them over and over for more 30 minutes of digital lameness.

19. dizzyone

You must have missed out all the pointers I was throwing around to stir up a good discussion, because it seems you've fallen back to just your opinion, vague descriptions and random accusations that aren't founded, after 10 pages this thread still hasn't gotten past accusations and shallow opinions, I think that says enough.

This is pretty much how this little argument went.
    Pope: "9mine is like useful and shit dude, you can do this, this and this"
    Me: "Lulz caek, Ok how about this, this and this"
    Pope: "lol wut, fuck this shit, I like blue, it is my favourite colour, you smell"

Thanks for your opinion Pope, I appreciate it that you took the time to write out all those sentences, it was my pleasure to lol at the inconsistencies in your claims.

I think this discussion is going pretty smoothly, nothing to be worried about, in fact I feel a lot more confident about 9 mine being removed, for a second I was worried someone might actually screw up things. There might even be teamwork now that some of you rambo's are going to find a less generic FPS than Empiresmod to play.

"Hey guess what, you're wrong, I'm right"
    How can you possibly expect anyone to listen to your "arguments" if you just reply to ours by saying "there is no valid reason on removing it."

Well guess what Pope, I read your post, and you're full of shit. Have a nice day. :)

20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It's getting a little unfriendly in here, so i'm just going to ask someone to clarify this; with 9-mine removed, there is still a way to trigger 8 mines isn't there? - By shooting the mine or...? At least that was my understanding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.